• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Your First Credit Card Story - How did you get your first credit card?

TechnoFinoTechnoFino is verified member.

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Hello every,
The first credit card is special for everyone. We all remember the experience of getting our first card 😃
Let's share our first credit card experience...
My experience-
My first credit card was ICICI HPCL Coral, which I received in 2015. My home address at that time did not fall within any bank's serviceable area, so they asked me to apply for credit card against FD. But I needed an unsecured credit card, so I talked to my branch manager and I told him I needed an unsecured card.
He told me that... we can give you an unsecured card but for that you have to purchase an ICICI Prudential Ulip policy of Rs. 2 lakhs (minimum).
At that time I desperately needed a credit card because my business was in USA and I needed a credit card for its payment. I was unemployed that time with zero CIBIL score, No bank was offering me a credit card so I had purchased a policy of two lakh rupees at that time and got my first ever credit card ICICI HPCL coral credit card (chargeable), later icici converted that card to a lifetime free hpcl coral credit card and I'm still holding that one 😄

Last edited:
Got both converted to LTF through customer care this year itself. Threatened to close both the cards, the retention team gave an option to convert it to LTF to retain the card.

That's it. Maybe have paid too much fees to SBI in the past 10 years. Also had student loan from SBI 12 years ago. That might have helped.
Do you have salary account with SBI?

Is it even possible to get elite as LTF via upgrade?
Please guide if you have any idea over this.
My father will be more than happy if he gets the upgraded version.
With The 30L TRV And Such Old Relationship They Will Give You LTF Any Card Of Your Choice... Otherwise You Can Pressurise Them By Shifting Your Accounts To Some Other Bank Or Closing Of Card

With The 30L TRV And Such Old Relationship They Will Give You LTF Any Card Of Your Choice... Otherwise You Can Pressurise Them By Shifting Your Accounts To Some Other Bank Or Closing Of Card
If they agreed to make my father's simplysave LTF, at the same time, can i also ask them to upgrade this card to elite LTF? Or do i directly pressurize them to upgrade this card to elite LTF?

If they agreed to make my father's simplysave LTF, at the same time, can i also ask them to upgrade this card to elite LTF? Or do i directly pressurize them to upgrade this card to elite LTF?
You Directly Say That You Want SBI Card Elite(LTF)... They Won't Say No... If Not You Have Other Options Too

But Before Saying "Say Only When You Can Do It" Otherwise They Will Consider You A Joke

In The End You Can Say "I Can Settle For Prime (LTF)" Only If The SBI Is Very Good And You Can't Leave It

You Directly Say That You Want SBI Card Elite(LTF)... They Won't Say No... If Not You Have Other Options Too

But Before Saying "Say Only When You Can Do It" Otherwise They Will Consider You A Joke

In The End You Can Say "I Can Settle For Prime (LTF)" Only If The SBI Is Very Good And You Can't Leave It
1. Just to pressurize them, i can easily say that i can shift all my accounts to some other bank or i can close my card, but in reality, it is not easily possible.
2. The card's annual fee will be charged in December, should i try this thing now or somewhere between november-december?

1. Just to pressurize them, i can easily say that i can shift all my accounts to some other bank or i can close my card, but in reality, it is not easily possible.
2. The card's annual fee will be charged in December, should i try this thing now or somewhere between november-december?
1. You Can Try (Now It Depends Upon Your Luck)... But The Possibility Of Getting Are High
2. You Can Try It Before October... Because Bank Takes A Long Time To Decide

My Best Wishes Are With You... Hopefully You'll Be Able To Get Elite(LTF)

You Can Also Ask Them If They Can't Provide Elite Then Which Varient Can They Offer(But Ask This At A Very End Stage If They Are Declining)

Last edited:
My first card was back in 2010 when I started working. It was SBI Simply save. Didn't know much about credit cards back then hence applied for a card from a known bank. Used the card on rare occasions. Wanted an add-on from SBI, instead they sent me another card which was SBI FBB (Now converted to Simply Click).

In the last 10 years, never really bothered about credit cards but collected a few of them just out of curiosity.

Started HDFC journey in 2014 with Allmiles card.

Started taking interest in the cards I own to maximize benefits a couple of months ago.

Now own:
1. SBI Simply save and Simply Click both LTF
2. HDFC Regalia FYF
3. ICICI Amazon Pay
4. Axis Ace
5. AXIS Magnus
6. SC Ultimate
7. Citi IOCL
8. RBL Platinum Choice Supercard
9. ICICI MMT Platinum
10. Onecard Metal

I think only AMEX is missing from the kitty here.
  • Did you spend huge amounts (but within or less than 40%) ?
  • Were you using SBI cards (any one or both) as your primary card?

• Did you spend huge amounts (but within or less than 40%) ?
  • Were you using SBI cards (any one or both) as your primary card?
Had used the card sometimes in the past for larger amounts. Once or twice for more than 50% mark. But had not been using these extensively for the last few months.

Try ... Thinking of it even I have 15+ years relationship with SBI with 2L MAB ... I'll try somehow with it ... Hoping with @souvikdey2002 's help ...
Do You Have Any SBI CC? If Not According To My Opinion You Should First Apply C2C For Any Card Of Your Choice... Then When The Annual Charges Month Is Near Then You Talk To Customer Support And If They Are Not Agreed Directly You Can Use The Tactics.

Back