• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

AMEX Platinum Charge Card Renewal

nakul16

TF Buzz
Hello Friends,

I've been using Amex Charge card for a year now and it is due for renewal. When I signed up 1 year back I got 1 Lac reward points which I transferred to Marriott Bonvoy with a 1.3 multiplier. I called up customer care and the best that they can do for renewal is 25k reward points. I am planning to close the account with American Express as this sounds like a bad deal for a 60k INR + taxes renewal fee.

My primary card is HDFC Infinia as it has a much better reward rate. More than 80% of my spends are on Infinia. The only thing I use the Amex Platinum Charge Card is for Marriott Bonvoy Gold membership.

Any thoughts, suggestions before I go ahead and cancel the card?

Hello Friends,

I've been using Amex Charge card for a year now and it is due for renewal. When I signed up 1 year back I got 1 Lac reward points which I transferred to Marriott Bonvoy with a 1.3 multiplier. I called up customer care and the best that they can do for renewal is 25k reward points. I am planning to close the account with American Express as this sounds like a bad deal for a 60k INR + taxes renewal fee.

My primary card is HDFC Infinia as it has a much better reward rate. More than 80% of my spends are on Infinia. The only thing I use the Amex Platinum Charge Card is for Marriott Bonvoy Gold membership.

Any thoughts, suggestions before I go ahead and cancel the card?
If it is not suitable for your spending pattern and lifestyle, then close it.
When you are thinking of closing it , there itself lies the answer..close it

Last edited:
Most of the people I have seen / known end up closing the card at the time of renewal. So if you feel like closing it, please go ahead without second thought. You already have better card in the form of Infinia

It is very difficult to justify the fees 2nd year onwards as retention benefits are very low. Base reward rate is low and not worth paying so much just for Marriott Gold

Back