• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

AMEX PLATINUM TRAVEL CARD BEST WAYS TO SPEND

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to spend on AMEX platinum travel credit card to reach the milestone of 4 Lakhs per annum ?
The reason i'm asking is AMEX card is not allowed in most of the online websites...
Please suggest, Thanks

Yeah, so rent is the difference. Otherwise Infinia + SB is more rewarding for utilities, and there's no way I would compromise there for chasing milestones. If this pattern continues and no good retention, I might have to think hard about retaining Plat Travel next year.
What is your choice for Amazon Pay specifically? Paying 3% extra and buying via SB or using Amex reward multiplier?

For other vouchers I can understand SB prioritisation over everything else

What is your choice for Amazon Pay specifically? Paying 3% extra and buying via SB or using Amex reward multiplier?

For other vouchers I can understand SB prioritisation over everything else
Infinia even for Amazon (~13.5% even after fees, which is in the same ballpark), and then PT top up where necessary. Also I need the full 20k per month at least, and Amex has recently limited it to 10k only.

Just how? Over here, after trying my best to use Plat Travel wherever possible, I'm still ~1.5L short to go in 2.5 months. My caveats: I don't have any education or rent payments, also all my GVs are prioritised on Smartbuy first. Everywhere else I've been trying to use Amex and still very likely going to miss the target, and I am a heavy spender.

Its very hard for you to focus on amex when you're prioritizing smartbuy first. If possible during renewal go with MRCC.

Just how? Over here, after trying my best to use Plat Travel wherever possible, I'm still ~1.5L short to go in 2.5 months. My caveats: I don't have any education or rent payments, also all my GVs are prioritised on Smartbuy first. Everywhere else I've been trying to use Amex and still very likely going to miss the target, and I am a heavy spender.
I was a PhD student till yesterday so everytime my paper got accepted anywhere, Google gave me $3000 and Microsoft Research India would give 2.5 Lakhs to attend, register, etc. Hence, many flights and hotels booked. 2 roundway trips to US covered 3 lakhs and rest singapore and thailand.

SBI gave me card limit of 40K (card closed). HDFC gave me moneyback with 1 lakh limit (card closed). Hence, all my expenses are on Amex only as I dont have any other card except BOB premier (50K limit-RupayJCB, holding in hopes that I may get Eterna someday). Right now, prepping to move to US on 24th for few years so won't have anymore expenses in India.

I was a PhD student till yesterday so everytime my paper got accepted anywhere, Google gave me $3000 and Microsoft Research India would give 2.5 Lakhs to attend, register, etc. Hence, many flights and hotels booked. 2 roundway trips to US covered 3 lakhs and rest singapore and thailand.
Congrats Dr @peregrine0falcon! But post-doctorate Platinum travelling might be hard...

In the same situation. Only been able to spend around 40k in the first month. Seems silly to buy vouchers on Amex vs Smartbuy. Have needlessly bought some like 5k on Costa Coffee and some Domino's.

SBI gave me card limit of 40K (card closed). HDFC gave me moneyback with 1 lakh limit (card closed). Hence, all my expenses are on Amex only as I dont have any other card except BOB premier (50K limit-RupayJCB, holding in hopes that I may get Eterna someday). Right now, prepping to move to US on 24th for few years so won't have anymore expenses in India.
Congratulations and all the best!

In the same situation. Only been able to spend around 40k in the first month. Seems silly to buy vouchers on Amex vs Smartbuy. Have needlessly bought some like 5k on Costa Coffee and some Domino's.
Credit cards entices you to spend more, even when you have no need for that expense, just for some measly cashback.

IMO its better to loose some cashback and get rid of some paid cards if those are hardly used as if you have paid cards, you will be more inclined to make spends to cover the worth of fees or hit fee waiver.

all my GVs are prioritised on Smartbuy first.
This is the problem. If you're using another card to buy gift vouchers instead of this one, how can you then come in wondering that you are not able to complete milestones on this card?

"I studied my maths textbook end to end; why did I not score 100% on my chemistry exam?"

Juggling multiple cards will always cause these sort of issues. Number of cards held should always be based on one's spend requirements.

Last edited:
Credit cards entices you to spend more, even when you have no need for that expense, just for some measly cashback.

IMO its better to loose some cashback and get rid of some paid cards if those are hardly used as if you have paid cards, you will be more inclined to make spends to cover the worth of fees or hit fee waiver.
Actually many cards have very reasonable spend expectations. The problem is that some people get greedy and get multiple cards and the combined spend requirements goes beyond their capability.

4L spend limit on Plat Travel is very doable if one holds it plus a Visa/MC for backup. People shouldn't get multiple cards with multiple spend requirements and then wonder that they can't manage it all.

Make sure to not book your flight tickets as "Dr". It will save time for the flight crew to quickly find a capable doctor in case of a medical emergency in flight 👀

This is the problem. If you're using another card to buy gift vouchers instead of this one, how can you then come in wondering that you are not able to complete milestones on this card?

"I studied my maths textbook end to end; why did I not score 100% on my chemistry exam?"

Juggling multiple cards will always cause these sort of issues. Number of cards held should always be based on one's spend requirements.
I wasn’t exactly complaining. It’s silly to try meeting spend targets when I already have a more rewarding card. Also the real issue isn’t with the number of cards I carry but with Amex’ offline acceptance.

Back