• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex referral scam!

Sriim

TF Ace
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hi

I would like to share my experience about how I got scammed here in TF by @MAXXCARD.

I joined TF in November 2023 and have been frequenting here since then. I've learnt a lot and maximised my rewards after joining TF. I also got introduced to the world of American Express and got my first 2 cards in MRCC and Gold in January.

Ever since Amex increased the referral benefits to 12k MR points, I've been on the lookout to exchange my referral with someone, where I'll get a Platinum travel card in exchange for someone using my referral for their 2nd or 3rd card. I thought I was being smart, but have been proved wrong.

I thought I finally found the right person when I saw @MAXXCARD posting his referral link in various threads. Seeing that he's been on this forum since 2022, I wasn't very sceptical as I've largely had a very positive experience here in TF, more so with long term users.

I DM'ed @MAXXCARD about the offer and he seemed enthusiastic towards the exchange. We exchanged referral links and he was promptly replying for the 2-3 days we (I?) took to apply and complete vKYC.

But the day I mentioned that my card has been approved, he stopped responding to DMs even though he's visiting the site daily according to the last seen function.

I was disappointed, but held hope that he was just being busy. But as days went by, the feeling that I've got scammed got stronger and stronger.

I understand that I made myself vulnerable with the offer. I also remember a post by Amex legend @coolguy1 asking a different user about what will happen if one person's application was not approved during an exchange. I thought that an existing user had high chances of getting approved for a 2nd card. And to be honest, if his application wasn't approved, I wouldn't be this disappointed.

Because right now, I've no idea if he even applied as he's ghosted me since and ignored all my messages. Let my story be a warning to all users that such scammers do exist even here in TF. But just like everything else on TF, this has also taught me something and will be careful from here on.

And if you, @MAXXCARD finally reply to my message and I'm mistaken (even though it looks unlikely with you not responding to DMs), I'll take down this post. But if you have tried to scam me, i wish you'll grow a conscience and really apply for a card with my referral link or provide me with 4K Apay vocuher (equivalent to 12k MR points).

Sorry for the long post. Be careful everyone. Attaching screenshots of the DM and last seen as on 11.30 AM, July 7

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-45-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-45-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.webp
    192.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-34-75.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-34-75.webp
    182.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-09-89.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-09-09-89.webp
    233.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-08-50-28.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-08-50-28.webp
    324.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-53-59.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-53-59.webp
    261.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-27-91.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-27-91.webp
    334.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-10-71.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-07-10-71.webp
    280.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-06-50-85.webp
    Screenshot_2024-07-07-11-06-50-85.webp
    230.8 KB · Views: 113
Solution
Hey guys, i read in a few posts that you can apply for 2nd Amex the moment you get an approval email for your first. I got the approval email for my first AMEX card, the Gold Charge on Sunday and want to take the Amex MRCC. I still havent recieved any tracking or card info related details other than the approval email. Is it fine to apply for MRCC since i got the approval email?

If the answer is Yes, @Sriim , Please share your referal code and ill use it to apply . Ive learnt a lot from this community and id be happy to give something back for it!
Commenting on this to heads up my followers…
Guys cards game and rewards are there to play with fun don’t spoil your emotions by playing on cards with too much expectations
@Sriim i saw many of your posts here which added value to ppl
Just ensure precautions on any social forum
Lets recover 12k AmEx points slowly don’t worry

Commenting on this to heads up my followers…
Guys cards game and rewards are there to play with fun don’t spoil your emotions by playing on cards with too much expectations
@Sriim i saw many of your posts here which added value to ppl
Just ensure precautions on any social forum
Lets recover 12k AmEx points slowly don’t worry
Spot on.

As is said in my post, my experience here in TF has largely been very positive with most users trying to improve each other's game by sharing whatever knowledge/experience they have.

Long may it continue!

Ok, so firstly.. why do you need to do an exchange for referral?? Is it because you don't want someone to benefit the referral without you getting a similar benefit back?? Seems like this to me. With this kind of mentality, am not surprised@MAXXCARD didn't go through!!

Ok, so firstly.. why do you need to do an exchange for referral?? Is it because you don't want someone to benefit the referral without you getting a similar benefit back?? Seems like this to me. With this kind of mentality, am not surprised@MAXXCARD didn't go through!!
😵

I was trying to incentivise someone to use my referral by offering to use their referral in exchange (just like some people offering 2k Apay gift vouchers). Something mutually beneficial. I've seen other users doing that in Amex threads. Got an idea from that and tried. Backfired for me.

My primary goal was not getting the card but getting a referral and I think that's where I went wrong.

I didn't know you have such a strong belief in helping out others without expecting anything in return.

Should I send my referral link to you to apply? I assume you will no expect anything in return. :p

Dude.. if you expect something back in return.. it's not called HELPING!! Expecting something back is a transaction, be it materialistic or other!!
If everyone in the world expects something back in order to help someone, no one will get help!! Change your mentality!!
I get your point. Just want to clarify that I wasn't trying to help or trying to get help. I was trying to have a transaction only.

Dude.. if you expect something back in return.. it's not called HELPING!! Expecting something back is a transaction, be it materialistic or other!!
If everyone in the world expects something back in order to help someone, no one will get help!! Change your mentality!!
100% correct.
Helping means nothing expecting in return.
Else it's a business where you loose some and gain some.

Hi

I would like to share my experience about how I got scammed here in TF by @MAXXCARD.

I joined TF in November 2023 and have been frequenting here since then. I've learnt a lot and maximised my rewards after joining TF. I also got introduced to the world of American Express and got my first 2 cards in MRCC and Gold in January.

Ever since Amex increased the referral benefits to 12k MR points, I've been on the lookout to exchange my referral with someone, where I'll get a Platinum travel card in exchange for someone using my referral for their 2nd or 3rd card. I thought I was being smart, but have been proved wrong.

I thought I finally found the right person when I saw @MAXXCARD posting his referral link in various threads. Seeing that he's been on this forum since 2022, I wasn't very sceptical as I've largely had a very positive experience here in TF, more so with long term users.

I DM'ed @MAXXCARD about the offer and he seemed enthusiastic towards the exchange. We exchanged referral links and he was promptly replying for the 2-3 days we (I?) took to apply and complete vKYC.

But the day I mentioned that my card has been approved, he stopped responding to DMs even though he's visiting the site daily according to the last seen function.

I was disappointed, but held hope that he was just being busy. But as days went by, the feeling that I've got scammed got stronger and stronger.

I understand that I made myself vulnerable with the offer. I also remember a post by Amex legend @coolguy1 asking a different user about what will happen if one person's application was not approved during an exchange. I thought that an existing user had high chances of getting approved for a 2nd card. And to be honest, if his application wasn't approved, I wouldn't be this disappointed.

Because right now, I've no idea if he even applied as he's ghosted me since and ignored all my messages. Let my story be a warning to all users that such scammers do exist even here in TF. But just like everything else on TF, this has also taught me something and will be careful from here on.

And if you, @MAXXCARD finally reply to my message and I'm mistaken (even though it looks unlikely with you not responding to DMs), I'll take down this post. But if you have tried to scam me, i wish you'll grow a conscience and really apply for a card with my referral link or provide me with 4K Apay vocuher (equivalent to 12k MR points).

Sorry for the long post. Be careful everyone. Attaching screenshots of the DM and last seen as on 11.30 AM, July 7
Only trust TF members who are Ace and above, with a proven track record of helping other members in this forum based on their messages, reaction score & points.
You can easily see this for every member.
Don't trust beginners.

Last edited:
Hi

I read your whole post and understand that you had been kind of CONNED....
this maxxcard guy got the bonus but you didn't...
see brother, on public platform you don't have any assurance that the other person will keep his words or not....
Plus this exchange system which you did should mostly be done with a person to whom you are acquainted with on personal level....
I also helped a guy in his Amex application process and he said that he used my referral but the points never got credited and the person also didn't replied back afterwards....
so don't feel low or defeated...
there are numerous Maxxcards on this forum.... think of it as charity..
moreover you got FYF Plat travel card too.... take this as your bonus....
CHEER UP !!!!!

Amex is doling out 8000 to 12000 points as referral fee to existing members and also giving first year free to new members.
then how are they going to make any money???
(3% MDR is anyway over compensated with points, so not profitable for Amex)

Basically it's on the second year fee, which you should be careful to avoid paying

Back