• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best card for rent, insurance and fuel spends (non co-branded)

faraaz303

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I have the following cards, will appreciate expert opinion on which card to use to get maximum value from fuel, rent and insurance spends.
Monthly spends for fuel are between 7-10k.
Rent is at 18k.
Insurance is 4k/month and 11k/quarter.

1) Axis Magnus
2) HDFC DCB
3) Amex Plat
4) Amex MRCC
5) StanC Ultimate
6) Axis Vistara
7) ICICI Amazon
8) Axis Flipkart
9) Yes First Pref
10) Indus Pinnacle
11) Amex Plat Reserve

Please advise.

I have the following cards, will appreciate expert opinion on which card to use to get maximum value from fuel, rent and insurance spends.
Monthly spends for fuel are between 7-10k.
Rent is at 18k.
Insurance is 4k/month and 11k/quarter.

1) Axis Magnus
2) HDFC DCB
3) Amex Plat
4) Amex MRCC
5) StanC Ultimate
6) Axis Vistara
7) ICICI Amazon
8) Axis Flipkart
9) Yes First Pref
10) Indus Pinnacle
11) Amex Plat Reserve

Please advise.
Why are you holding MAGNUS with such low spends?

I have following cards

Amazon ICICI
ICICI MMT
Axis Myzone
Axis Flipkart
Axis IndianOil
IndusInd Legend
IDBI Millenia
HDFC Shoppers Stop
SBI SimplyClick
BoB Easy
BoB Onecard
Yes FinBooster
RBL Zomato
RBL Supercard
Kotak League

Which is the best card to use to pay a Insurance bill of 10.25k to get maximum rewards

Few checklist:

Suppose your insurer name is 'ABC Insurance' (replace with your insurance company)

- Check whether you can pay premium in any third-party website or own insurance portal only.
- If it is third-party website (ex: paytm, phonepe, amazon etc.)
  1. know the reward points/cashback of your cards in those sites.
  2. also need to know more about which MCC they're providing and reward rate/cashback for that MCC.
- If it is the own insurance portal, then 99% it comes under 'Insurance' MCC only, so know about the reward rate/cashback for that 'Insurance MCC'.
- If it is available in third-party websites, know about gift voucher options available for those websites and respective reward rate/cashback for that option.
  1. make sure that gift voucher must be able to redeem for this insurance premium spends.

------------------
Since, you didn't mentioned about your insurance company or it's available third-party websites, we have to assume for base reward rate for insurance category (for optimal suggestions, always mention those to get best reward rate/cashback because there are so many ways to purchase vouchers or spend on those websites to get full rewards/cashback compared to direct payment).

Because, Ex: Legend gives 0.7% insurance payment directly, but if that is available in amazon and one can able to find a way to purchase amazon vouchers during weekend then it can be increased to 2%.

Flipkart 0% for direct insurance payment, but if one can get paytm voucher without any charges it can go 1.5% (can replace paytm with whatever website you prefer).

Suggestion (not related to your question): you should close apprx. 10 cards (even if it is LTF) in your list, those are not providing better rewards and you won't get upgrades easily if you didn't spend much on those cards. Ignore if irrelevant.
Last paragraph looks like pointing me haha
With recent Tata neu addition I have 11 cards so thinking of closing scb Manhattan 999 plus gst waste for me after magnus

Few checklist:

Suppose your insurer name is 'ABC Insurance' (replace with your insurance company)

- Check whether you can pay premium in any third-party website or own insurance portal only.
- If it is third-party website (ex: paytm, phonepe, amazon etc.)
  1. know the reward points/cashback of your cards in those sites.
  2. also need to know more about which MCC they're providing and reward rate/cashback for that MCC.
- If it is the own insurance portal, then 99% it comes under 'Insurance' MCC only, so know about the reward rate/cashback for that 'Insurance MCC'.
- If it is available in third-party websites, know about gift voucher options available for those websites and respective reward rate/cashback for that option.
  1. make sure that gift voucher must be able to redeem for this insurance premium spends.

------------------
Since, you didn't mentioned about your insurance company or it's available third-party websites, we have to assume for base reward rate for insurance category (for optimal suggestions, always mention those to get best reward rate/cashback because there are so many ways to purchase vouchers or spend on those websites to get full rewards/cashback compared to direct payment).

Because, Ex: Legend gives 0.7% insurance payment directly, but if that is available in amazon and one can able to find a way to purchase amazon vouchers during weekend then it can be increased to 2%.

Flipkart 0% for direct insurance payment, but if one can get paytm voucher without any charges it can go 1.5% (can replace paytm with whatever website you prefer).

Suggestion (not related to your question): you should close apprx. 10 cards (even if it is LTF) in your list, those are not providing better rewards and you won't get upgrades easily if you didn't spend much on those cards. Ignore if irrelevant.
The insurance provider is Canara HSBC it is available in Amazon. Will I get 2% cashback for buying Amazon GV using Amazon ICICI card otherwise I will try Legend on weekends

Regarding your suggestion I am planning to close RBL Zomato after devaluation along with HDFC Shoppers Stop I had got HDFC Shoppers Stop mainly because I wanted a HDFC card for HDFC card offers same with YesBank FinBooster also.

:) So much changed in last 2 years, it's definitely not like earlier where pace is very slow when getting cards. Did you find any alternative for offline Grocery, departmental (not those Lifestyle, westside etc.) spends to get 5% discount?

Manhattan should be waived off annual fee at 60,000 spends, that is a decent spot for me instead of 1.2L.
Using magnus for offline groceries considering 31ER for 1lac around its 6% right so getting convinced that way

If it is available in Amazon, so many options.

- Amazon ICICI 2%
- Legend 2% (weekends)
- Myzone 1.2% (GiftEdge) etc.

Instead of Shoppers stop, if you would had 'Moneyback+' - you can get ~3.8% max, try to get that card atleast as an upgrade.
I will used Amazon ICICI card then

I dont think I can upgrade Moneyback+ as upgrade will try and get it if I can

I don't know if this already exists, but I think it would be really helpful if one of the experts were to draw up a table of which cards gave points, and/or counted towards spend milestones, spends on various commonly excluded categories:

Fuel
Insurance
Rent
Utilities
Government (Tax etc)

Back