• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best Debit Card For Credit Card Bill Payment 2024

TechnoFinoTechnoFino is verified member.

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
In the world of personal finance, many people are always looking for ways to manage their money better and get the most out of their spending. One popular strategy that's gaining traction is using debit cards to pay off credit card bills. This allows you to earn cashback on expenses that wouldn't normally earn rewards. In this article, we'll explore this concept and look at some of the best debit card options for paying off credit card bills.

Understanding the Strategy​

Typically, credit card bills are paid using money from a bank account, either automatically or by manual transfer. While these payments don't usually earn rewards, some banks offer cashback incentives for using their debit cards to pay bills. By strategically using a debit card for credit card payments, you can earn cashback on expenses that wouldn't otherwise earn rewards.

Choosing the Right Debit Card​

When choosing a debit card for paying credit card bills, there are a few things to consider:
  1. Cashback Percentage: Look for a debit card that offers a good cashback percentage on bill payments.
  2. Debit Card Fees: Consider any fees associated with the debit card, such as monthly fees or transaction fees.
  3. Account Requirements: Make sure you meet any requirements to qualify for the debit card you're interested in.

Top Picks For Best Debit Cards:​

Debit Card NameDebit Card FeesBill Payment PlatformsCashback/Reward RateMaximum CappingMilestone Benefits
HDFC Platinum Debit CardRs. 750 + GST For Normal Account; Nil For SavingsMax or higher variant accounts/programsHDFC Bank Bill Payment Portal1% CashbackRs. 750 Per MonthNot Available
HDFC Millennia Debit CardRs. 500 + GST For Normal Account; Nil For SavingsMax or higher variant accounts/programsLoad Amazon Wallet & Pay Bill; Use HDFC Bill Payment Portal, Mobikwik1% Cashback (Amazon Wallet)
2.5% (HDFC Bill Payment Portal)
Rs. 400 Per MonthNot Available
RBL Enterprise Debit CardJoining: Rs. 7500 + GST
Annual: Rs. 2000 + GST
SBI Unipay5% Cashback As VoucherRs. 1000 Per MonthSpend 5L In A Year & Get Voucher Worth Of Rs. 2000
Additional Rs. 3000 Voucher On Spending 10L & Another Rs. 4000 Voucher On Spending 15L In A Year.
RBL Signature Plus Debit CardJoining: Rs. 5000 + GST
Annual: Rs. 1500 + GST
SBI Unipay1% Cashback As VoucherRs. 1000 Per MonthRs. 5000 Voucher On Spending Rs. 5L In A Year
IndusInd Bank Exclusive Debit CardNil For Exclusive AccountPayTM, SBI UniPay~0.93% CashbackRs. 1050 Per Month (Cash Value)Not Available
IndusInd Bank Select Debit CardNil For Select AccountPayTM, SBI UniPay~0.93% CashbackRs. 1050 Per Month (Cash Value)Not Available
IndusInd Pioneer Debit CardNil For Pioneer AccountSBI UniPay, PayTM0.50% CashbackUnlimitedNot Available
IDFC First Private Debit CardNil For Private AccountSBI UniPay1% Reward (Voucher)
After Rs. 50,000, Reward Rate Will Become: 2.50%
Rs. 1,25,000 Per Month (Cash Value)Not Available
IDFC First Wealth Debit CardNil For Wealth AccountSBI UniPay0.67% Reward (Voucher) After Rs. 50,000, Reward Rate Will Become: 2.50%Rs. 12500 Per Month (Cash Value)Not Available
IDFC First Select Debit CardNil For Select AccountSBI UniPay0.5% Reward (Voucher) After Rs. 50,000, Reward Rate Will Become: 2.50%Rs. 7500 Per Month (Cash Value)Not Available
Standard Chartered Priority Visa Infinite Debit CardNil For SC Priority BankingPayTM, SBI UniPay, Etc.1.25% Cashback (Voucher)UnlimitedNot Available

In today's financial world, getting the most cashback means thinking creatively and planning strategically. Using the right debit card to pay your credit card bills can earn you extra rewards and improve your overall financial situation. Whether it's getting cashback on everyday purchases or finding new ways to use your rewards, there are plenty of opportunities for those who are open to trying out innovative financial strategies.

Update- 4900 MCC eligible for CB for RBL enterprise & MCC for PayTM transaction is 6051 So RBL SPDC is also not eligible for CB On Paytm

Last edited by a moderator:
As you bill payment is below 20k, go for millenia dc. If you open hdfc savings max account through physical mode you can ask for millenia card instead of platinum.
So I went to the local branch and asked them how I could get a millennia dc for free. They said if I open a regular savings account and enrol in a "vishesh" program, the fee for the Millennia Debit card will be waived off as long as I keep an average amount of approx 10-15k in the account. I've gone ahead with this for now instead of the savings max route.

Update: 05/09/2024
IDFC Rewards Points using DC not automatically tracking Problem Resolved on 4th Sept.
Now the rewards are tracked automatically and accurately.

Airtel Thanks and Jio Finance giving RP

So I went to the local branch and asked them how I could get a millennia dc for free. They said if I open a regular savings account and enrol in a "vishesh" program, the fee for the Millennia Debit card will be waived off as long as I keep an average amount of approx 10-15k in the account. I've gone ahead with this for now instead of the savings max route.
Please get this in writing from them. On Vishesh programme's page only Platinum DC is promised free & eligibility criteria is mentioned as 1L AMB . Normally I would say that if it has opened in Vishesh it wouldn't matter as HDFC didn't use to downgrade accounts but it has downgraded mine from Preferred to Classic just a month back due to lower AMB maintenance so not sure about it now.

In netbanking also, it is specified that only for Classic/Preferred/Imperia the debit card fees won't apply but nowhere is it mentioned that Vishesh will also get a free Millenia. So for your own safety, get this in written over an email from the bank employees/branch manager.

Please get this in writing from them. On Vishesh programme's page only Platinum DC is promised free & eligibility criteria is mentioned as 1L AMB . Normally I would say that if it has opened in Vishesh it wouldn't matter as HDFC didn't use to downgrade accounts but it has downgraded mine from Preferred to Classic just a month back due to lower AMB maintenance so not sure about it now.

In netbanking also, it is specified that only for Classic/Preferred/Imperia the debit card fees won't apply but nowhere is it mentioned that Vishesh will also get a free Millenia. So for your own safety, get this in written over an email from the bank employees/branch manager.
For Vishesh accounts also annual charges of platinum card is nil.

Charges for non maintenance is zero similar to classic. But in case of non maintenance of AMB/AQB card charges will be applicable.

For Vishesh accounts also annual charges of platinum card is nil.
That's what I said. Platinum is offered free, not millenia.
Charges for non maintenance is zero similar to classic. But in case of non maintenance of AMB/AQB card charges will be applicable.
Once again, never said anything about non-maintenance charges, if account is downgraded from whichever program he/she has, it has high chances of attracting DC annual fees.

When I signed a form, I also saw that they had ticked a box for classic 1L AMB. When I asked about it, they said that's fine, just make sure that it doesn't go below 10k and fees won't be there. He mentioned if at all I see a fee to be paid, just call them, or visit the branch, they'll make sure it gets waived off. But yeah, maybe getting it in writing would be a good idea. They also made me transfer 20k into that new account, saying that an initial payment was required for this setup. I didn't mind it as anyways I'd be using that to pay my cc bills.

When I signed a form, I also saw that they had ticked a box for classic 1L AMB. When I asked about it, they said that's fine, just make sure that it doesn't go below 10k and fees won't be there. He mentioned if at all I see a fee to be paid, just call them, or visit the branch, they'll make sure it gets waived off. But yeah, maybe getting it in writing would be a good idea. They also made me transfer 20k into that new account, saying that an initial payment was required for this setup. I didn't mind it as anyways I'd be using that to pay my cc bills.
It will not be possible to get this in writing.Few things which are in reality practiced can't be guaranteed on paper. It also makes sense.

Thank you sir, and when was the most recent time you paid bill using this merchant using Indusind Visa card, and did you receive full RPs?

And sir, what does this 3 words mean.
Hey buddy,
I have used Indusind Select ViSA Signature debit card on 28th Aug for around 1500 CC payment on Jio Finannce and received points.
Still I would recommend you to do a small transaction of 500 or something and check, it gets updated in 2 or 3 days, so take that margin.

Hey buddy,
I have used Indusind Select ViSA Signature debit card on 28th Aug for around 1500 CC payment on Jio Finannce and received points.
Still I would recommend you to do a small transaction of 500 or something and check, it gets updated in 2 or 3 days, so take that margin.
Thank you so much sir.
Another quick question if you don't mind, is your account individual or family and do you maintain balance or it is surrogated with credit card?
Please let me know, thanks.

Thank you so much sir.
Another quick question if you don't mind, is your account individual or family and do you maintain balance or it is surrogated with credit card?
Please let me know, thanks.
I have an individual Select Savings account which is converted for zero balance with Legend CC tag so I don't maintain 50k always.

I paid my HDFC credit card bill on 1st Sep using IDFC Wealth debit card on SBI unipay platform but i still didn't get any points in my debit card. Did i miss anything here?

I paid my HDFC credit card bill on 1st Sep using IDFC Wealth debit card on SBI unipay platform but i still didn't get any points in my debit card. Did i miss anything here?
I've seen many posts where reward points are getting delayed by IDFC, there is a separate thread where IDFC users are present. Perhaps, you can find better response there.

The steps are absolutely correct though, you didn't do anything wrong.

IDFC DC with JIO APP for CC payment... can anyone please confirm if this will fetch any reward points OR do we need to use SBI UNIPAY only?

Back