• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Cheque Fraud: Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000 cashed out. Original text was overwritten. Please read the details and help.

Madam / Sir

In respect of your above complaint lodged with us, you are kindly informed that the complaint is presently being investigated by us. In the meanwhile, you are requested to send your comments, if any, on the reply received from the regulated entity (bank) (attached) or facts (including documentary evidence) if any in the above matter to “ replybojaipur@rbi.org.in ” as early as possible (within 5 days), otherwise the complaint will be closed after taking a decision on the above complaint based on the documents / comments provided so far.

Sincerely

CrPC

Reserve Bank of India
PNB ne written main kuch diya tha?

I know they closed your complaint at Bank Level
@its_karan ajao rbi bo guru.
thanks for tagging

PNB ne written main kuch diya tha?

I know they closed your complaint at Bank Level
DM karta hun. RBI ke email me 4 page ka attachment hai. Usme 2 page kaam ke lag rahe hain mujhe.

----
PNB ne do written reply die hain.
1. First response from PNB. They've stated their standard guidelines. RBI ko original complaint me attach kia hai ye maine.
2. After what you wrote here, we asked PNB to give clear reason as to why they didn't do an ID check of the person. PNB Bank manager has shared a handwritten reply.

I'll share both in DM to you.

This is an awful incident that happened to a neighbor. I am adding details for you all to read. Some of this may sound silly and stupid, but I am stating facts as they are. Please read and help.
  1. Scamster posed as Metlife Insurance employee who needed to collect "final installment" of Rs 180 from neighbor. He had accurate details of insurance policy. He visited neighbor's home to collect, but didn't accept cash. Payment could only be made by cheque.
  2. Neighbor wrote a cross cheque (account payee) of Rs 180. He clearly wrote the name, amount (text and number), date and signature in pen.
  3. The words on cheque were overwritten. Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000. Name, amount, date are changed. Signature is untouched. The cheque has some indication that words are overwritten. I mean, it is like how pencil is erased but some letters are somewhat visible.
  4. Neighbor did not have positive pay facility. He received no call from the bank when cheque was cleared.
  5. Complaint and escalations - Bank has taken no responsibility and shifted the blame completely on neighbor.
  6. FIR not registered - Police has taken a complaint, but refused to register FIR.
I am attaching masked cheque here. Please take a look for yourselves and suggest possible measures. https://postimg.cc/CB0ykmW4. Note that the cheque might look torn, but it is in one peace.
I am willing to escalate to Nodal, Principal Nodal desk and RBI Ombudsman.

Also, I will push neighbor for FIR being registered - what are the grounds for FIR here?

Meanwhile, I have advised neighbor to keep that account empty.

------------
Update: Adding more details based on comments -
  1. Neighbor filled the cheque himself. It was a CROSS cheque. Cross was erased.
  2. Neighbor had also signed on back of cheque and written policy number etc. All of that was erased, only signature remained visible.
  3. MetLife employee details - Neighbor did not verify employee ID. Even if he did, it wouldn't have been difficult to have a fake ID.
  4. Neighbor doesn't remember the pen he used. It could have been scammer's pen.
  5. Written complaint done to bank, received their reply as well. I'm attaching it below.
  6. CCTV footage available of the scammer. What to do with it?
  7. The cheque was indeed encashed without taking ID of scammer. How do I proceed here?
  8. I have asked neighbor to tell the bank that cheque must not be destroyed or taken away.
Why Bank may be at fault -
  1. Bank didn't ID or KYC the scammer, even though cheque was > Rs 50,000. I found this article that states this guideline. Could someone please help me find RBI guideline for the same?
  2. Cheque appears overwritten, but how do I enforce that to the bank? Can RBI do that?
Attached Document: Reply from bank -
  1. Please read the doc carefully. Half of it is in Hindi. The bank claims no responsibility. Bank says that the cheque did not appear forged or overwritten.
  2. It seems like bank hasn't mentioned the clause for ID verification for cheque > Rs 50,000.
I can't see any kind of overwriting or squeezing words in between to change the amount..... and no signs of any kind of eraser being used....

I can't see any kind of overwriting or squeezing words in between to change the amount..... and no signs of any kind of eraser being used....
There are only two possibilities - the cheque has been altered OR my neighbour is lying.

I know this neighbour since I was a kid, and would trust him with my money.
So, the only other option is cheque being altered.
main-qimg-0056be847fe4408f49cf8f66e35cb15f-lq

Which means that, my neighbour and I are doing a great service to RBI by reporting a flawless scam. RBI should take serious notice of this case, and instruct banks to issue tamper proof cheques going ahead.

Ideally, we should be rewarded like bug bounty hunters. But I'll settle with getting my neighbour's money reimbursed.

There are only two possibilities - the cheque has been altered OR my neighbour is lying.

I know this neighbour since I was a kid, and would trust him with my money.
So, the only other option is cheque being altered.
main-qimg-0056be847fe4408f49cf8f66e35cb15f-lq

Which means that, my neighbour and I are doing a great service to RBI by reporting a flawless scam. RBI should take serious notice of this case, and instruct banks to issue tamper proof cheques going ahead.

Ideally, we should be rewarded like bug bounty hunters. But I'll settle with getting my neighbour's money reimbursed.
Mostly banks have positive pay system these days and they call the account holder to confirm a payment (if done by third person)....
let's take into account that bank didn't call the person but he must have got the SMS instantly.... the amount was withdrawn on 12th April... didn't he went to the bank or called the bank at that very moment??
your post is dated 19th may, more than a month since the incident.... It's surprising that no action was taken within that time period....

Mostly banks have positive pay system these days and they call the account holder to confirm a payment (if done by third person)....
let's take into account that bank didn't call the person but he must have got the SMS instantly.... the amount was withdrawn on 12th April... didn't he went to the bank or called the bank at that very moment??
your post is dated 19th may, more than a month since the incident.... It's surprising that no action was taken within that time period....

You've asked the right questions. Here's the chronology.

1. Neighbour received no SMS when the cheque was cashed. I have written that in my complaint to RBI. RBI can instruct bank to provide SMS confirmation code, if they are willing.

2. Neighbour found out about the fraud a few days later when he went to the bank to withdraw money. He wrote a complaint to bank and got their reply. He also went to the police, who took a complaint but refused to register FIR.

The bank's first response, a written reply, was received on 14 May. I did enquiry on a personal level for a few days and then made this post on 19 May, like you said.

You've asked the right questions. Here's the chronology.

1. Neighbour received no SMS when the cheque was cashed. I have written that in my complaint to RBI. RBI can instruct bank to provide SMS confirmation code, if they are willing.

2. Neighbour found out about the fraud a few days later when he went to the bank to withdraw money. He wrote a complaint to bank and got their reply. He also went to the police, who took a complaint but refused to register FIR.

The bank's first response, a written reply, was received on 14 May. I did enquiry on a personal level for a few days and then made this post on 19 May, like you said.
What's the bank's take on this issue given to RBI? If you are willing to disclose you can dm me

There's nothing much to disclose from the bank's end. They've excused themselves from any blame.

They claim
1. Cheque appears unaltered from "naked eye".
2. ID verification of bearer is done for cheques >1L.
So they are not following RBI advisory. How unethical.

What's the bank's take on this issue given to RBI? If you are willing to disclose you can dm me
like @Batman showed in the TnC pages earlier.... Bank holds no responsibility in such case because otherwise every withdrawal would come under scrutiny if banks take responsibility....
Pvt banks have better rules for these situations that they have limited the third party cash withdrawal to certain amounts

Quick question - RBI wrote an email to us in Hindi. Can we reply in English?

I can do a Google translate (+proof read) and add it as well.

Mandatory tag @its_karan bro.

Back