• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Cheque Fraud: Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000 cashed out. Original text was overwritten. Please read the details and help.

BTW who ever is reading and interested

I heard once from SBI BM that they have some kind of facility where cheque will only be cleared after a confirmation call with customer care. It has to be enabled by branch. Don't know if there's any min amount of cheque which is eligible for this. But if interested, you can go ahead.

And try with other banks too
True my SBI manager also told the same
I have this facility
I don't think there is any min amount for that
Though lowest I issued was of₹10000

How did the scammer know what amount to fill? Was it decided by his greed or some other internal info?

Also, is it better to use fountain pen then for cheques?

Last edited:
I rarely need to write cheques these days. But when I do, for high-value cheques I always put an old-style carbon paper underneath the cheque, ink side up, before writing the cheque. The carbon imprint on the backside of the cheque makes it very difficult to alter the cheque.
On the back side?

BTW who ever is reading and interested

I heard once from SBI BM that they have some kind of facility where cheque will only be cleared after a confirmation call with customer care. It has to be enabled by branch. Don't know if there's any min amount of cheque which is eligible for this. But if interested, you can go ahead.

And try with other banks too

I think you're talking about the Positive Pay system. Although it has been there for sometime now (I believe, consequent to some RBI directive),
I'm not sure whether it is being enforced yet. Maybe the deadline is close, because some banks have started sending messages about Positive Pay recently.

The problem is, until it's enforced, most bank employees will remain as clueless as their customers regarding this!

Another issue is, the default threshold amount of Positive Pay kick-in has apparently been left up to the banks to decide on! So, for some banks it's 50k, while for some others, it's 5L!

I think you're talking about the Positive Pay system. Although it has been there for sometime now (I believe, consequent to some RBI directive),
I'm not sure whether it is being enforced yet. Maybe the deadline is close, because some banks have started sending messages about Positive Pay recently.

The problem is, until it's enforced, most bank employees will remain as clueless as their customers regarding this!

Another issue is, the default threshold amount of Positive Pay kick-in has apparently been left up to the banks to decide on! So, for some banks it's 50k, while for some others, it's 5L!
Nope it is different

In positive pay we have to make a request via netbanking/app
To request positive pay, cheque should be of min 50k, and is mandatory for any cheque above Rs 5L. No calls required

In the facility I mentioned about, branch will call you to take a confirmation before clearing any cheque

Nope it is different

In positive pay we have to make a request via netbanking/app
To request positive pay, cheque should be of min 50k, and is mandatory for any cheque above Rs 5L. No calls required

In the facility I mentioned about, branch will call you to take a confirmation before clearing any cheque
Also this system is also in canara bank
They call u before clearing the cheque
I

That thing was there for years! It was upto the discretion of the bank (based on the threshold amount, customer profile, etc.), and was not mandatory. Positive Pay is just a more refined, mandatory version of the same concept!

Why op can only go to court after 156 days?

What kind of law is this. When celebrities are involved courts works in the night as well.

After reading everything I can understand that neither nor police is ready to help him.

Now court is the only way. You will easily win, cause cheque clearly loss forged.

I don't know, I fail to trust the employees working right at the bank forget about someone visiting my house. I once crossed a cheque which was to be submitted right in front of my eyes and even then I took a photograph. My rule of thumb, never trust a banker, and shoot an insurance agent if you legally can.

And I feel for people banking at PNB, these guys can't catch a break getting scammed ☹️

I don't know, I fail to trust the employees working right at the bank forget about someone visiting my house. I once crossed a cheque which was to be submitted right in front of my eyes and even then I took a photograph. My rule of thumb, never trust a banker, and shoot an insurance agent if you legally can.

And I feel for people banking at PNB, these guys can't catch a break getting scammed ☹️
So true
Somehow I feel rbi is at fault at large
They make policies but don't make evaluations of those policies
Unless there are lot of complaint against that entity

Live example is Jupiter here they have introduced charges ,capping , and what not and still RBI is silent on that

The thing is banking should be regulated more strictly
And alongwith making some circular, directives
It should be make sure that banks at large are getting scrutinized on a regular basis

Don't know what is happening these days

And here in our books we are being taught to follow old age practices
All these things are interlinked
Our education system is such a crap that they are making students mug up the books and clear exams
That's it

If education system was that competent where practical knowledge was more taught then those bookish knowledge
People would be more aware of their powers and rights

There is a need for financial literacy at large
I saw many people are not aware of rti,
Most common rbi rules, their powers as customer of bank,and how to proceed and claim compensation in case bank is at fault

And most importantly delay in decision from RBI side in case of deficiency in service/frauds is the deal braker for most people
As op pointed out that her aunty may not proceed further if it's time taking

Some tips for writing a cheque safely:

1. Always cross a cheque with words "a/c payee only". Never give anyone you don't trust a bearer cheque. Cut out "or bearer/ya dharak ko" at the end of name row.

This need to cross cheques has been a long-standing puzzle to me that even several BMs couldn't provide a satisfactory answer to! I'm hoping knowledgeable members here could provide an explanation. So here are the details of my query:

Of the hundreds of cheques I have ever been required to write over the years, only a very very very few did not need to be crossed! I suspect many of you (if not most) have had similar experiences (although I suspect people needing to pay employees without bank accounts did have to issue bearer cheques, --- however that shouldn't be a necessity these days anymore). I do believe that a quite large fraction (if not the majority) of all cheques issued are crossed.

So my question was, why can't banks issue (at least as an option) chequebooks with all cheques already crossed by default ?!

An option then could be provided to cancel such imprinted crossing with a signature to turn such a cheque into a bearer cheque if and when needed.

Such an option of having pre-crossed cheques would have saved the effort to cross 99.99% of all cheques I have ever needed to write, and would have made the cheques safer by design to start with!

--- Hoping for a good answer. :)

Back