• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit Card Dilemma

rkv

TF Buzz
Dear Friends,

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. I was very eager to get my first credit card and applied to several banks between June and July, resulting in over 25 CIBIL hits. Despite this, I was fortunate to receive my first credit card, the PNB RuPay Select with a limit of 1 lakh, in August.

I also applied for the SBI Cashback card but was initially rejected. However, I recently resumed the application and was surprised to receive an instant approval with a 40k limit. I activated the card and set the PIN.

Today, I received a notification from HDFC about my approved Millennia credit card application. I'm leaning towards choosing this card due to its lower fee waiver criteria.

My question is, if I close the SBI card before my first bill, will I be charged a joining fee? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
[Your Name]

If the card is activated, the fee will be charged.

I would suggest you to revist your decision for SBI CB closure, maybe review the pros and cons once again, or share more beside the waiver criteria what is it that you see in Millennia?

I guess you didn't gave chatgpt your name

if I close the SBI card before my first bill, will I be charged a joining fee
If you do not activate the card within 30 days, it will get closed automatically, and you don't have to pay the joining fee.
However, if you activated it(set pin/turn on domestic usages etc) then you can reach out to the bank and request for closure.
And if you made a trx using the card, then you will not able to close it/ get your joining fee back.

I would suggest you to revist your decision for SBI CB closure, maybe review the pros and cons once again
Yes, i would suggest the same. SBI CB is better than Millennia.
Maybe check if you can get HDFC Swiggy LTF (if you are eligible)

As he has already activated the card and reset pin, so card will not be closed automatically. Check statement. If fee is not showing in unbilled transactions, you may try your luck in closing the card.

Dear Friends,

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. I was very eager to get my first credit card and applied to several banks between June and July, resulting in over 25 CIBIL hits. Despite this, I was fortunate to receive my first credit card, the PNB RuPay Select with a limit of 1 lakh, in August.

I also applied for the SBI Cashback card but was initially rejected. However, I recently resumed the application and was surprised to receive an instant approval with a 40k limit. I activated the card and set the PIN.
In this case the card is activated and the JF will be levied
Today, I received a notification from HDFC about my approved Millennia credit card application. I'm leaning towards choosing this card due to its lower fee waiver criteria.
Don't take this if it is FYF wait for some time u will get the same with LTF offer
My question is, if I close the SBI card before my first bill, will I be charged a joining fee? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
It's not a good decision to close sbi cashback cc, if u use it regularly ur limit will be inc or u can req the same manually using income docs
Thank you,
[Your Name]
Next time Give ur Name to chatGPT 🤣

If you do not activate the card within 30 days, it will get closed automatically, and you don't have to pay the joining fee.
However, if you activated it(set pin/turn on domestic usages etc) then you can reach out to the bank and request for closure.
And if you made a trx using the card, then you will not able to close it/ get your joining fee back.
Yes I have activated SBI CC. even if I close it before bill generation, I will get JF charged, am I right here? If it's so I guess keeping cashback card better

How to know if it is FYF without activating card
u will find it during the application process if u have applied for it

Did u take this card? if not u will find banners mentioning limit and LifeTime Free tag then it is pre Approved offer

u will find it during the application process if u have applied for it

Did u take this card? if not u will find banners mentioning limit and LifeTime Free tag then it is pre Approved offer
I was applied for it in June. I guess 1500 Amazon voucher offer was there. But I don't remember actually. I had about 8 cibil hits from hdfc itself.

Do some research compare partner offers on Millennia and SBI cashback

if u think u spend only on partner brands of HDFC millennia(amazon, flpk, swiggy etc ) and do not spend on other platforms online or ur online spending is very lessthen SBI CB is not for you
Remember: Max cashback u can get in Millennia is Rs. 1000 in a billing cycle whereas from SBI cb is Rs.5000 in a billing cycle

Simple,
Check if ur spending pattern aligns with that particular card and decide wisely

One more doubt. If I let millennia close without activating, does this harm from getting any hdfc card in future

I was applied for it in June. I guess 1500 Amazon voucher offer is there. But I don't remember actually. I had about 8 cibil hits from hdfc itself.
reach out to their cc team and ask them whether the card is LTF or chargeable

Do some research compare partner offers on Millennia and SBI cashback

if u think u spend only on partner brands of HDFC millennia(amazon, flpk, swiggy etc ) and do not spend on other platforms online or ur online spending is very lessthen SBI CB is not for you
Remember: Max cashback u can get in Millennia is Rs. 1000 in a billing cycle whereas from SBI cb is Rs.5000 in a billing cycle

Simple,
Check if ur spending pattern aligns with that particular card and decide wisely
I should keep sbi cc as it will get JF charged. (That's what I understood from previous replies)

I should keep sbi cc as it will get JF charged. (That's what I understood from previous replies)
check ur unbilled transaction if JF is not charged yet and If u want to close it then ask customer care to cancel the card they will consider ur request and also they may offer u card as FYF or LTF if u r very lucky

Chances if it being ltf ot fyf is very rare as I'm not hdfc customer and I don't get any pre approved offers while applying for it. Btw is there any possibility of converting to into ltf of fyf with retention team
No, but read my above post Don't close if it is LTF

Dear Friends,

Thank you,
[Your Name]
Apply for an IDFC credit card; you get an instant approval and card within 3-4 days. HDFC and SBI both cards are good if HDFC offers you a limit of less than Rs 50k. Then keep both the cards.

Banks like ICICI, BOB, HDFC, and SBI give you a lot of discounts and festival offers from time to time.

PS : If you don't have a girlfriend and have control over your spending, then keep all good cards with you.

Last edited:
Back