• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Infinia DCB lifetime free vs Infinia paid

faltooAdmi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi,

I have been hdfc preferred customer since last 10 years with my salary account there.

I have never used any credit card ever. So hearing all buzz about Magnus & Infinia, thought of checking on hdfc pre-approved card offers.

To my surprise i saw this :
IMG_20230418_184927.png

Looks like I have all these cards pre-approved for me (with no credit history and cibil as NH).
  1. Infinia metal
  2. Diners club black
  3. Regalia gold
  4. Indigo hdfc card
Also I am from IIT so I maybe eligible for lifetime free Diners club black as well under alumni offer.

So assuming I get DCB as ltf (alumni offer) and paid Infinia as pre-approved, what should be my choice.

Also my wife is also from IIT and she is not a hdfc customer, but she may also get DCB as ltf under alumni offer.

My expenses would be hardly 3L in a year (excluding rent)

Last edited:
Also, if you don't have credit card and your yearly spends are 3L, i think it'll easily cross 5-6L (we underestimate our spends a lot.)
Sir 30K per month delhi me upsc ki taiyari kar rahe normal student le lag jate hai 🤣
This maybe actually true 😂. But I had excluded my rent from above expenses. Including rent it would easily cross 6L.

Paid Infinia makes sense. You are anyway getting equivalent reward points which can be used for flight booking. The fees for infinia then becomes around 3k.

When you purchase 30k or more gyftr vouchers (and you will for amazon, flipkart, etc) you will easily overcome this fee.

Mind you HDFC is not lenient in giving Infinia as an upgrade, your spends have to be really high for that.

I suggest ask your wife to get DCB, take an addon for you - lounge acces. Get infinia for yourself and take an addon for you wife - DCB is not accepted at a few offline merchants.

If your spends are in the range that you mentioned above and your final goal is to get Magnus, I would say you start with DCB LTF with both of you and then get Magnus after 6 months via the C2C route. However, one counter-argument to this is that Infinia is hard to get and Magnus might get devalued few months down the line. Another factor is what would you use the points for? With DCB/Infinia, Smartbuy for flights or hotels does not restrict you to some specific brands. Redemption of Magnus points is lot more involved and needs more planning.

If your spends are in the range that you mentioned above and your final goal is to get Magnus, I would say you start with DCB LTF with both of you and then get Magnus after 6 months via the C2C route. However, one counter-argument to this is that Infinia is hard to get and Magnus might get devalued few months down the line. Another factor is what would you use the points for? With DCB/Infinia, Smartbuy for flights or hotels does not restrict you to some specific brands. Redemption of Magnus points is lot more involved and needs more planning.
You need one year old card fir c2c magnus as per @Alwàys_Bélîevé_Yøursélf🎯

i am surprised, how DCB & infinia came as preApproved you don't have CIBIL history,

also what variant of HDFC account you own? is it salary if yes then how much salary get credited every month.
if not salary account then how much balance you maintain in you hdfc account.
i am also surprised to see top cards as preapproved

i am surprised, how DCB & infinia came as preApproved you don't have CIBIL history,

also what variant of HDFC account you own? is it salary if yes then how much salary get credited every month.
if not salary account then how much balance you maintain in you hdfc account.
He already mentioned all these details in the original post

If I go for ltf DCB, would it be difficult for me to get Infinia later (currently infinia comes under pre-approved).

Maybe i can make a case that DCB is not being accepted at kot if places so maybe they will upgrade it to infinia.

Also my wife has no credit history (cibil is NH just like me , so even though she can get DCB ltf under alumni offer but I think it may get rejected due to NH score as her Magnus application was rejected upfront)

If I go for ltf DCB, would it be difficult for me to get Infinia later (currently infinia comes under pre-approved).

Maybe i can make a case that DCB is not being accepted at kot if places so maybe they will upgrade it to infinia.

Also my wife has no credit history (cibil is NH just like me , so even though she can get DCB ltf under alumni offer but I think it may get rejected due to NH score as her Magnus application was rejected upfront)
It would be better you get Infinia.

Some say Diners had acceptability issues somewhere, but majority say it hasn't.
Upfront you are getting the best card of HDFC, i.e. Infinia. Take it.

And sometime later get your wife DCB LTF.

I am aware Infinia provides us with 12500 points which can be used on their portal. So in a way it's just gst we have to pay.

But seeing recent devaluations they may stop/change criteria for issuing those 12500 at renewal. So don't want to end up with a card for which I have to meet a very high spending criteria just to recover fee.

So considering above point, does hdfc allow both DCB and Infinia. I was thinking to have this DCB ltf (no worries about any spending to recover it's fee as it will be ltf) and if possible a paid infinia also till the time they give those 12500 points. Incase they further devalue infinia then i could surrender that paid infinia and I would still have my ltf DCB as backup always.

What do you guys think ?

I am aware Infinia provides us with 12500 points which can be used on their portal. So in a way it's just gst we have to pay.

But seeing recent devaluations they may stop/change criteria for issuing those 12500 at renewal. So don't want to end up with a card for which I have to meet a very high spending criteria just to recover fee.

So considering above point, does hdfc allow both DCB and Infinia. I was thinking to have this DCB ltf (no worries about any spending to recover it's fee as it will be ltf) and if possible a paid infinia also till the time they give those 12500 points. Incase they further devalue infinia then i could surrender that paid infinia and I would still have my ltf DCB as backup always.

What do you guys think ?
Are you planning to get magnus in future? If not, go with Infinia. Just go to smartbuy and see the reward chart for infinia and dcb. If you purchase 2L vouchers a year, infinia will already give you more value when comparing it with DCB if (a very big one) Infinia stops giving 12.5k points.

And if at all they do such a huge devaluation, you can call them and ask to close the card. And you won’t be the only person calling them so they will definitely not do this.

And infinia points can be used in apple purchases, dcb points can’t.

Hdfc doesn’t budge with low availability issue, didn’t work with me. I have 11L DCB limit, an imperia customer, tried all tactics, still they won’t upgrade to Infinia.

What do you guys think ?

I think you are overthinking this.

Normally when you talk about devaluations, these are mostly capping the reward points or removing certain spends from milestone etc. I dont think they will end up removing 12500 points on renewal, since this is basically what most card companies do - compensate the card holder for the annual fees.

But having said that devaluation will definitely happen even for Magnus in the near future. If this is stopping you from pursuing paid cards (which definitely offer more rewards be in Infinia/Magnus), then you would be better off taking LTF cards like DCB. But just to mention - not many ppl are offered an Infinia, it's much more exclusive compared to Magnus - and you are getting it pre approved. What more can you ask for ? I would say jump at this opportunity and get that Infinia. If for some reason the devaluation do happen, cancel your Infinia, and apply for the DCB LTF thing - Win Win !

Are you planning to get magnus in future? If not, go with Infinia.
I do want a magnus though (more than Infinia). But axis rejected me even for their beginner myZone card.
Hdfc doesn’t budge with low availability issue, didn’t work with me. I have 11L DCB limit, an imperia customer, tried all tactics, still they won’t upgrade to Infinia.
Even a paid one they won't offer you ?

Axis is rejecting my online application even for their beginner myZone (mostly due to my NH cibil).

While hdfc is issuing me pre-approved Infinia so definitely something might be good about my history (not necessarily with cibil).

Would getting this ltf DCB/ Infinia increase my chance to get a magnus.

Even my wife is in same situation (both of us have NH cibil)... Her gross is nearly 30L (IIT & IIM), axis even rejected her online application upfront for magnus. So we got her an amazon icici card (she has salary account in icici).

How can either me/my wife get a magnus? We need it before it gets devalued further. Your guidance will be really helpful. Can you help us out. I have seen you helping out some members to get their magnus @Alwàys_Bélîevé_Yøursélf🎯

Last edited:
For most of the folks getting magnus is relatively easier than getting an infinia but for me it's vice versa. I can get a pre-approved Infinia but getting a magnus now seems a very daunting task. It seems like long road to get a magnus.

I have even opened Amazon pay later and Flipkart pay later account just to get some cibil score as I couldn't get even a basic card.

The aim is build some cibil score then get a magnus. Anyone has any experience building a cibil score using these paylater programs ?

How much time it takes for cibil to show some score from NH ?

Back