• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Do you sign on your credit cards?

Do you sign on your cards?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

korin

TF Buzz
"Authorised Signature - NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED" is something that is present at the back of all credit cards where there's place for signature beside CVV number.

Even the credit card manuals say something like - "Please sign on the signature panel on the reverse immediately with a black ball point pen".

My question is, what is the use of this? And does it make any difference whether I sign it or not? Does it make the card more secure?
Do any of you sign on your credit cards?

PS: I've never signed on any of my card, they're all empty as of now.

"Authorised Signature - NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED" is something that is present at the back of all credit cards where there's place for signature beside CVV number.

Even the credit card manuals say something like - "Please sign on the signature panel on the reverse immediately with a black ball point pen".

My question is, what is the use of this? And does it make any difference whether I sign it or not? Does it make the card more secure?

Not necessary...
Doesn't make any difference.

As per RBI's Master Circular Banks are Required to Print Such lines..

this was used in the past maybe 20-30years ago, I am using the DC from last 20 years even at that time no body asked or did the sign on the back.

During the initial years of card issuance when there was no PIN feature, the shop keepers used to verify the authencity of the card holder during the swipe by matching their signature as the cardholder was supposed to sign the counter slip generated. Over the years as PIN as mandated for transactions, this is no longer required, but the banks still provide space for customer signature.

During the initial years of card issuance when there was no PIN feature, the shop keepers used to verify the authencity of the card holder during the swipe by matching their signature as the cardholder was supposed to sign the counter slip generated. Over the years as PIN as mandated for transactions, this is no longer required, but the banks still provide space for customer signature.
In the last month my sister went to a mall for shopping and during payment they refused to do payment since I am not present at there (I gave my cc to my sister for payment purpose) The counter guy says the cc owner should present here.

Yes, the scenario you described I have seen this in London in 2007.

In US, one of the shops declined accepting a card that was not signed in 2018. Never face problem otherwise. I generally sign the card only if I am travelling internationally now.

When I was travelling in the UK a few years ago, I was asked to sign the card and only then was I able to use it, other than that never faced an issue in India

in the past i may have signed , idk remember when was last time though, doesn't matter overall i think.

In the last month my sister went to a mall for shopping and during payment they refused to do payment since I am not present at there (I gave my cc to my sister for payment purpose) The counter guy says the cc owner should present here.
Wow. Did this happen in India?

Back