• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Got an ICICI Emeralde card, limit: 17k. The existing ICICI card Limit: 6.8L. How to LE the Emeralde?

abhikbose

TF Buzz
I recently got a Paid Emralde (plastic) upgrade in internet banking. Despite the negative reviews, I opted for it as I frequently fly and use the lounge (I will use the spa in future, too). I have a few existing ICICI credit cards. The maximum one is an LTF Saphirro (under alumni offer) with a 6.8 lakh limit. The new Emralde is issued with a limit of 17k only; I am not sure why! Following is my relationship with ICICI.

1. Have a wealth management savings account. [I previously had a Gold privileged account, which they upgraded to wealth management]
2. Total relationship value with ICICI is approximately six lakhs.
3. CIBIL: 792
4. Other ICICI Card limit: Max limit is 6.8 Lakh
5. Previous spending on ICICI cards: 2-5 lakhs in a year for the last 5 years
6. Previously used to get continuous LE after every 6 months from ICICI.
7. Total income from salary: No taxable income

I have tried the following to get the Emralde limit enhanced.

1. Written to wealthmanagement@icicibank.com. They replied that credit card limit enhancement is a sensitive issue that can't be handled over email.
2. Called the customer care, and they said no credit enhancement offer is available
3. Talked with the deputy branch manager of my home branch (Powai, Mumbai). Apparently, she also has no clue.

At present, I can't get HDFC Infinia or anything (considering no taxable income), and I want a card with lots of airport lounge access. So, this is my choice. I often buy international flight tickets using the ICICI Saphirro. This Emralde gives a 1% reward, which is very poor but better than 0.5% of the Saphirro. So, I need a limit enhancement on the Emeralde.

Any help and hacks to get a limit enhancement of the Emralde will be helpful. Also, any idea why they are offering me an upgraded card with a 17k limit when I have an existing card with a 6.8L limit?

Solution
Online only. In Internet banking, there was an option to apply for a new preapproved credit card titled "Get a feature-packed ICICI Bank Credit Card on the fly.". I applied, and it redirected me to a fresh credit card application at https://buy.icicibank.com/. The upgrades for Emerealde and HPCL were done using the same screen you have shown in the screenshot.
Here are my observations:

1) Because you had never submitted any income doc, there was no recorded income against which they can provide you a decent CL.
2)They gave you LE, basis your spending pattern and timely payment.
3) this process had maxed out the LE iteration because you are over utilising their CCs.
4) you had consumed many times 90% of your given CL at...
It's bizarre. As advised by members here, check manage limit tab in iMobile if there is any issue.

If not, escalate it to ICICI top management telling about your issue and also attach your current Emerald limit and your other ICICI card limit statement. Tell them to give Emerald same limit as your other ICICI cards.

I also took Emerald but it got same limit as my other existing ICICI cards.
Hi. How to escalate? Is there any other way than posting on Twitter?

I am also attaching a capture of my iMobile. I have removed the card number. But you can still see one card (the emerald) with a 17k limit and the existing one with a 6.8 lakh limit. I don't think I have an error in the iMobile.

Attachments

• emeralde_17k_limit.webp
    emeralde_17k_limit.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 27
  • existing_card_6.8lakh_limit.webp
    existing_card_6.8lakh_limit.webp
    34.2 KB · Views: 27
most probably it isnt an error. the things is limit is per bank and not per card. each banks sets a limit you can have with them so if you have 4 cards limits is shared for each. what you can ask the customer care or your rm is to rebalance the limit of the cards.
Yes. It's not an error in that sense. Banks can offer whatever limit they wish. However, a card with a 14k yearly fee and a 17k limit is illogical, and the customer already has another card with a much higher limit.

I emailed them once previously. I again sent a long email just now with the statements attached. Let's see their reply. If this doesn't work, I will try the Twitter route.
Have you extensively used your Sapphiro card and used more than 50% of limit available at any time or even a few times?

Have you extensively used your Sapphiro card and used more than 50% of limit available at any time or even a few times?
No. I have not used the Sapphiro that much. My total spending on all ICICI cards remains between 2-5 lakhs per year, mainly via the Amazon Pay ICICI card, which also has 6.8 lakh limits. However, I have not used any of them up to 50% of their limit in one billing cycle.

No. I have not used the Sapphiro that much. My total spending on all ICICI cards remains between 2-5 lakhs per year, mainly via the Amazon Pay ICICI card, which also has 6.8 lakh limits. However, I have not used any of them up to 50% of their limit in one billing cycle.
a few more questions:
1) what was your annual income declared at the time of initial ICICI card?
2)How much CL inititally was granterd and when?
3) Timelines of LE adn LE amounts from what to what?
4) your Total Credit profile age?

Last edited:
a few more questions:
1) what was your annual income declared at the time of initial ICICI card?
2)How much CL inititally was granterd and when?
3) Timelines of LE adn LE amounts from what to what?
I started using ICICI in 2015. I applied for an Insta platinum card against FD in 2015 and got a 17k limit. I didn't declare any income at that time. Then, I got a Corel LTF with a 50k limit under some IIT campaigning. This was 2019. Then, I opted for an Amazon Pay ICICI with the same shared limit. Used both cards extensively. More than 90% of the limit many times (90% of 50k and not 6.8lakh. At that time, the card had only a 50k limit). Then, the limit was increased several times from 50k to 90k to ~2lakh to 5lakh to 6lakh50k, and 6lakh80k. I got the Sapphire LTF meantime with an Alumni offer a few months ago with 6.8lakh.

Total credit profile age: 9 years and a few months!

I still hold and use the Insta platinum card, which still has a 17k limit (this is FD-backed, so it can't be increased). I doubt ICICI somehow fetched this 17k limit and put it on the Emeralde! Only ICICI knows!

Last edited:
I started using ICICI in 2015. I applied for an Insta platinum card against FD in 2015 and got a 17k limit. I didn't declare any income at that time. Then, I got a Corel LTF with a 50k limit under some IIT campaigning. This was 2019. Then, I opted for an Amazon Pay ICICI with the same shared limit. Used both cards extensively. More than 90% of the limit many times (90% of 50k and not 6.8lakh. At that time, the card had only a 50k limit). Then, the limit was increased several times from 50k to 90k to ~2lakh to 5lakh to 6lakh50k, and 6lakh80k. I got the Sapphire LTF meantime with an Alumni offer a few months ago with 6.8lakh.

I still hold and use the Insta platinum card, which still has a 17k limit (this is FD-backed, so it can't be increased). I doubt ICICI somehow fetched this 17k limit and put it on the Emeralde! Only ICICI knows!
A few more last questions:
1)Have you ever submitted any income doc for any of your CC application at any stage?
2) your current ICICI Credit Card portfoio , details such as, CC name, issued year, issued CL, current CL.. ( all approximate)..

I kind of got the reason why you were provided 17K CL on emeralde, will explain in my next post

Last edited:
One more lat question:
Have you ever submitted any income doc for any of your CC application ?
No. I have never submitted an income doc. I am a research scholar. So, my earnings from my salary are not that high, and they don't issue pay slips for the same. I mostly apply for pre-approved cards from different banks based on CIBIL. That's how I got cards from many banks, mostly LTF. I wish to hold cheap cards from all the well-known banks to grab offers. I recently applied for AXIS Flipkart and HSBC Platinum (The axis one I have is FD-backed). Both were rejected due to a lack of pay slips!

Yes that's the issue.
Please submit latest payslips and ask them to increase limit

A few more last questions:
1)Have you ever submitted any income doc for any of your CC application at any stage?
2) your current ICICI Credit Card portfoio , details such as, CC name, issued year, issued CL, current CL.. ( all approximate)..

I kind of got the reason why you were provided 17K CL on emeralde, will explain in my next post
No. I have never submitted an income doc. I am a research scholar. So, my earnings from my salary are not that high, and they don't issue pay slips for the same. I mostly apply for pre-approved cards from different banks based on CIBIL. That's how I got cards from many banks, mostly LTF. I wish to hold cheap cards from all the well-known banks to grab offers. I recently applied for AXIS Flipkart and HSBC Platinum (The axis one I have is FD-backed). Both were rejected due to a lack of pay slips!

1)please provide details about your current ICICI cc protfolio.. we are getting there
2) and also I suspect, you had upgraded your CC to Emeralde based on Insta Platinum card..
Can you remember on what card you got upgrade offer while upgrading?

Last edited:
please details your current ICICI cc protfolio.. we are getting there
I have 9 CC from ICICI and one wealth management DC.

1. Insta Platinum LTF: 17k - 2015
2. Corel Visa LTF - 6.8lakh - 2019
3. AmazonPay LTF - 6.8lakh - 2019
4. Corel Rupay LTF - 6.8lakh - Forgot when issued
5. Sapphiro (Mastercard + Amex) LTF - 6.8lakh - 2024
6. MMT LTF - 6.8lakh - 2024
7. HPCL Paid - 17k - 2024
8. Emeralde Paid - 17k - 2024

Any insight on why this 17k limit on the Emeralde will be helpful.

I have 9 CC from ICICI and one wealth management DC.

1. Insta Platinum LTF: 17k - 2015
2. Corel Visa LTF - 6.8lakh - 2019
3. AmazonPay LTF - 6.8lakh - 2019
4. Corel Rupay LTF - 6.8lakh - Forgot when issued
5. Sapphiro (Mastercard + Amex) LTF - 6.8lakh - 2024
6. MMT LTF - 6.8lakh - 2024
7. HPCL Paid - 17k - 2024
8. Emeralde Paid - 17k - 2024

Any insight on why this 17k limit on the Emeralde will be helpful.
can you rememer on which card the upgrade offer was given for you?

like below in my case;

I suspect you were offered upgrade offer on Instal Platinum / HPCL CC..

1725521678004.webp

can you rememer on which card the upgrade offer was given for you?

like below in my case;

I suspect you were offered upgrade offer on Instal Platinum / HPCL CC..

View attachment 67541
Yes, I do remember. It was on the Corel Rupay and NOT on the Insta Platinum. 100% sure on that. I am still getting an upgrade to the Manchester visa, and that is too on the Rupay Corel. The HPCL and Emeralde came as upgrades, and both got 17k. The MMT came as a fresh application and got 6.8l. I don't mind a lower limit on the HPCL, but Emrealde should have a higher limit.

Screenschot attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-09-05 13-11-09.webp
    Screenshot from 2024-09-05 13-11-09.webp
    83.2 KB · Views: 13
what do you mean fresh application for MMT?
have you physically applied for it manually / online??
Online only. In Internet banking, there was an option to apply for a new preapproved credit card titled "Get a feature-packed ICICI Bank Credit Card on the fly.". I applied, and it redirected me to a fresh credit card application at https://buy.icicibank.com/. The upgrades for Emerealde and HPCL were done using the same screen you have shown in the screenshot.

Reactions: SSV
okay .. I understood your case.. please wait for sometime.. going for lunch.. will explain what might have happened....and probable remedy..

Here are my observations:

1) Because you had never submitted any income doc, there was no recorded income against which they can provide you a decent CL.
2)They gave you LE, basis your spending pattern and timely payment.
3) this process had maxed out the LE iteration because you are over utilising their CCs.
4) you had consumed many times 90% of your given CL at that time ( not 6.8L now) . This shows that you are credit hungry.. even though you are payuing them back..
5) And also you had opened too many CC accounts lately and this may have triggered too many cards even though they share the same CL.. what it acutally means , you are facilitated by ICICI to spend on more occasions or on more spend types..
6) because of all the above factors, their systems sort of downgraded your credit profile and don't want to risk providng more opprtunities for you to spend on more cards...

Remedy:

Long run :
1) Immediately STOP using all ICICI cards.. this shows their systems that , even though you have the ability / facility to spend on your cards, you are not using that opportunity .. means you are not credit hungry , instead it shows that you are well controlled .. in about 6 months time you will start getting LE offers again..
Here you may use my strategy of "Start and Stop" technique.. means, Stop using it for 3 months and start using it for 1 month...

2) Close the cards you don't want to have.. this will help..
( you don't need to do this if you can provide Income doc,
but as you don't have income doc, it is better reduce your ICICI CC portfolio).

Immediate remedy:

1)Call WM support guys and ask them to raise a SR to match your current Sapphiro CL with Emeralde..
Don't ask them if it is possible.. just ask them to raise a SR and tell them that you are fine even if that SR got rejected.. Talk to Credit Caqd team , not SB account team.. Talk with some authority but not showing any glimpses of any attitude...
You need somehow an SR to be raised then it will work.. for this you need some inseder who can help in raising that SR..

All the best...

Last edited:
Solution
Back