• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Help me understand Infinia Points

swipesmart

TF Select
Hi,

I was looking smartbuy which gives 16.5% as reward points considering 5X vouchers. But this 16.5% is not actually 16.5% monetary value right unless used at Tanishq or Apple right ?

Because other good option is to transfer miles and Accorr was most rewarding but now with Accorr it's 1 RP points = 0.5 Accor points.

I do agree that we have other airlines/hotel partner where it's still 1:1.

Can someone help me or I'm missing something

helloworld

TF Legend
max. you can redeem 1 point = 1 rs. or transfer to specified miles or hotel program at 1:1.

now, the value of 1 mile or hotel point can only be defined by you and only known after redemption.

so, 1x = 3.33% and 5x = 16.67%

msk1437

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have a happy family just because of Infinia...I get tea twice a day or on demand / I get to choose where to go on weekends / I can also say I won't be able to come for shopping, etc, etc

Naazar mat lagao..

Tanishq is the best redemption: I usually get 40k gold every quarter - wife is super happy!
Your name says otherwise

imdjay

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I have a happy family just because of Infinia...I get tea twice a day or on demand / I get to choose where to go on weekends / I can also say I won't be able to come for shopping, etc, etc

Naazar mat lagao..

Tanishq is the best redemption: I usually get 40k gold every quarter - wife is super happy!
Tanishq vouchers we can use on gold purchase?

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
True, Infinia points are devalued a lot in last 2 years.

Very few airmiles options at 1:1 transfer. All other options like Flight, Hotel, Apple, Tanishq require 30% payment from card. I find it very difficult to redeem them these days.

I would be happier if they do some devaluation in earning rate and bring back 1:1 airmiles transfer and/or 100% redemption on flights.
What is so difficult in paying 30% yourself?

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I'm not saying loss in value as such.. but effective reward rate considering you'd get those many RPs if not for redemption of points

Although if it comes to comparison, you neednot get this value back with some alternative way of purchasing flight tickets/ hotel vouchers. So value extracted from 1 RP is 1 Re. itself but effective reward rate considering you could have spent a bit lesser on that spend is 0.86p.
That's flawed logic. So if someone gave you a free hotel that otherwise costs 10k, you would consider it a loss of 3.3k as you would have gotten 3.3k points if you had paid full 10k price for it?

msk1437

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
That's flawed logic. So if someone gave you a free hotel that otherwise costs 10k, you would consider it a loss of 3.3k as you would have gotten 3.3k points if you had paid full 10k price for it?
Well no one gives you free hotel
They might give hotel voucher for spends on hotel

Consider the following example:

I have 1000 points on my Infinia
I booked a flight costing me 7000 INR redeeming 1000 points and putting in 6000 INR
I will be getting 1000 points back

So now, effectively what's the price I had to pay for 7000 INR ticket?
6000 INR == 85.57% of total fare == 14.43% cost saved

Coming to your hotel example, if I'm getting 10k priced hotel room at 5k and I happen to procure a voucher for it, the value I see it as is 5k not 10k

Hope you understand what I'm trying to distinguish by the effective value I'm getting (vs) effective monetary equivalent I'm able to redeem them for

It's slightly different but worth consideration

There's a reason why Swiggy HDFC card getting 10% cashback into swiggy money and now as cashback into card account is a positive revaluation

Hope I could convey my perspective

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Well no one gives you free hotel
They might give hotel voucher for spends on hotel

Consider the following example:

I have 1000 points on my Infinia
I booked a flight costing me 7000 INR redeeming 1000 points and putting in 6000 INR
I will be getting 1000 points back

So now, effectively what's the price I had to pay for 7000 INR ticket?
6000 INR == 85.57% of total fare == 14.43% cost saved

Coming to your hotel example, if I'm getting 10k priced hotel room at 5k and I happen to procure a voucher for it, the value I see it as is 5k not 10k

Hope you understand what I'm trying to distinguish by the effective value I'm getting (vs) effective monetary equivalent I'm able to redeem them for

It's slightly different but worth consideration

There's a reason why Swiggy HDFC card getting 10% cashback into swiggy money and now as cashback into card account is a positive revaluation

Hope I could convey my perspective
Incorrect once again. You used 1000 points and got a discount of 1000. That is exactly 100% value, meaning 1 point is equal to 1 Rs. You could have used 2k or 5k points as well and would have gotten the same value. Please don't confuse yourself with future rewards. The value is determined by the current transaction. If I have 1k points and my 10k purchase becomes 9k, then I am getting 100% 1 point equals 1 Rs value.

msk1437

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Incorrect once again. You used 1000 points and got a discount of 1000. That is exactly 100% value, meaning 1 point is equal to 1 Rs. You could have used 2k or 5k points as well and would have gotten the same value. Please don't confuse yourself with future rewards. The value is determined by the current transaction. If I have 1k points and my 10k purchase becomes 9k, then I am getting 100% 1 point equals 1 Rs value.
Answer these questions:

1) If you're getting 10k priced hotel room at 5k and I happen to procure a voucher for it, you'd see its value as 5k or 10k?
Would you be willing to pay 6k to buy that voucher from somewhere?

2) Swiggy HDFC card getting 10% cashback into swiggy money (vs) card account. Do you consider both of them equally rewarding?

3) Since you seem to claim you get 16.66% value out of smartbuy transactions, would you be willing to buy some voucher of 10k for a friend and give him at 8500 since you'd still be earning profit as per your calculations

Yes, we're redeeming points AT value of Re1 / point but its not the effective value extracted from it

You're not understanding difference betweem effective reward rate and monetary value extracted from it

That's all I had to say from my side

Else everyone is supposed to have their own perspectives

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
What is so difficult in paying 30% yourself?
Convinience reduces, as can't redeem 100% points anytime. Value of points reduces. Satisfaction of free flight gets removed.

Someone gave a nice example here. Imagine if instead of 70%, u were allowed to use 10% of points on each redemption. U will quickly realise my point. For some people, 30% is too less to visualise it🤣.

In general, I don't like cards which put severe restrictions on rewards redemption. It not only affects future spends, but also past spends. Redemption fees (not for Infinia), inability to redeem 100% points etc are much heavier devaluations from my perspective. They discourage quick Reward redemption and Reward points just keep lying in card account for several months with zero value in the hope of getting better value.

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Despite 30% restriction, I am able to use Infinia points quite well for redemptions. My point balance hardly crosses 7-8K despite using this card heavily. I keep redeeming them every 2-3 months for domestic flights / hotels

In fact I find Infinia points easy to redeem compared to others such as MB or ER points. Frequency of ER redemption is much lower

Also this logic of reduced return due to partial redemption is quite flawed. It then applies to all cards except cashback cards. Imagine using ER points for your next Accor stay. In which case, you would have lost 4.8% on card due to not swiping at hotel and paying with points. This applies to all cards except cashback

Hemang

TF Premier
go for cashback cards for this requirement.

upto 0.50 (depends on voucher)

Infinia is travel & lifestyle card not meant to redeem for cashback or amzn voucher.
Bhai ab jab card aa hi gaya hai to har scenario ka return pata hona chahiye. Mere ghar me we don't have much travel requirements. So Jo bhi maximum ho skega through smartbuy vouchers, vo kr lenge. Is there a thread in our forum, where detailed reward points have been shared for infinia ? If yes kindly share the link.

swipesmart

TF Select
Bhai ab jab card aa hi gaya hai to har scenario ka return pata hona chahiye. Mere ghar me we don't have much travel requirements. So Jo bhi maximum ho skega through smartbuy vouchers, vo kr lenge. Is there a thread in our forum, where detailed reward points have been shared for infinia ? If yes kindly share the link.
You can read this to get started :