• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Help me understand Infinia Points

swipesmart

TF Select
Hi,

I was looking smartbuy which gives 16.5% as reward points considering 5X vouchers. But this 16.5% is not actually 16.5% monetary value right unless used at Tanishq or Apple right ?

Because other good option is to transfer miles and Accorr was most rewarding but now with Accorr it's 1 RP points = 0.5 Accor points.

I do agree that we have other airlines/hotel partner where it's still 1:1.

Can someone help me or I'm missing something

ok.. let's take when you are allowed to pay 100% of amount via RP.
Flight cost - 5000
RP used - 5k
Flight if booked through cleartrip/makemytrip = you get 12% discount every time = 4400
So basically you pay 5000 points for something which is worth 4400 Rs which makes 1 RP = 0.88 Rs
So 16.67 % => 14.66 % returns
With 70% it becomes even less.
in that case let's take it to an extreme

you paid 4400

if rp used you have 4400 liquid cash you can invest it in super duper mega investment fund and get 20% returns

now you're loosing out on 880 rs . now should we consider adding the extra income generated to rp value. is it valid?

i mean no one is certain what future brings. at the point of tx what was it worth that should be our only consideration.

you're provided a discount for not using rp. doesn't mean the value of the flight is now magically 4400. it was always 5000.

so you will keep accumulating rp by never using it since at any time discount is greater for not using rp.

if we consider all willy nilly stuff then we should be optimized like a robot which makes 0 mistakes even then we are bound to make mistake.

Last edited:
in that case let's take it to an extreme

you paid 4400

if rp used you have 4400 liquid cash you can invest it in super duper mega investment fund and get 20% returns

now you're loosing out on 880 rs . now should we consider adding the extra income generated to rp value. is it valid?

i mean no one is certain what future brings. at the point of tx what was it worth that should be our only consideration.

you're provided a discount for not using rp. doesn't mean the value of the flight is now magically 4400. it was always 5000.

so you will keep accumulating rp by never using it since at any time discount is greater for not using rp.

if we consider all willy nilly stuff then we should be optimized like a robot which makes 0 mistakes even then we are bound to make mistake.
I am not taking anything extreme. It just happened when me everytime I try to
Book flight via smart buy cleartrip & make my trip always offer 12 or 15% discount.
I have DCB & I always calculate reward % as 9 on smartbuy or 3 offline.
If you believe Infinia gives 16.67% good for you.

I am not taking anything extreme. It just happened when me everytime I try to
Book flight via smart buy cleartrip & make my trip always offer 12 or 15% discount.
I have DCB & I always calculate reward % as 9 on smartbuy or 3 offline.
If you believe Infinia gives 16.67% good for you.
all i wanted you to understand was if we worry about lost monetary value because of a separate offer not related to the card it's not fair to dynamically adjust the point value based on it. today the discount on other sites might be 12%, tmrw it might be 20%, or the next day 6%.

so we have to dynamically adjust the point value from 1 to 0.86 to 0.7 to 0.94??? then we have to consider a scenario where due to opportunity from having liquid cash we are able to make use which might augment the point value from 1 to 1.1 to 1.04 to 1.2

all i wanted you to understand was if we worry about lost monetary value because of a separate offer not related to the card it's not fair to dynamically adjust the point value based on it. today the discount on other sites might be 12%, tmrw it might be 20%, or the next day 6%.

so we have to dynamically adjust the point value from 1 to 0.86 to 0.7 to 0.94??? then we have to consider a scenario where due to opportunity from having liquid cash we are able to make use which might augment the point value from 1 to 1.1 to 1.04 to 1.2
Yes definitely I would dynamically change point value from 0.88 to 0.9 to 1.1 based on what I can get for same amount.
I am also using smartbuy to book flight but I am not able to extract point value more than 0.88.

The point I am trying to make is how you calculate 1 point as 1 rs. For ex. - in case of sbi cb if you spend 100 rs you get 5 rs which you can use to buy anything worth 5 rs.
Same is not the case with hdfc DCB RP. I am not able to get 1 rs value of point in any case.
I want to see what other people think value of 1 pt is.

Back