• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Help suggest split AC based on personal user experience

20 to 25 percent headroom in capacity should be there for a comfortable n smooth running.

Be it a Genset, an AC, an online UPS or an Inverter.

In my 30+ yrs of IT-related n site-related experience with these items, I always applied this thumb rule and never ever faced a bad situation.

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Like for example croma is listing BTU.

DAIKIN Standard Plus 1 Ton 3 Star Inverter Split AC (Copper Condenser, Air Purification Filter, ATKL35UV) https://www.croma.com/daikin-standa...M3lLDueO9jyBHm4RwRPHioiXZRrEeVFxoCzvUQAvD_BwE

Can you explain the BTU for this model? 1000038430.jpg
I'll draw your attention to another factor. If your ambient humidity is more then do not get a higher than needed capacity ac.

If the AC undersized, the compressor will run continuously and reduce humidity to undesirable low levels.

If your AC capacity is oversized then it'll run the compressor for short duration and keep blower on continuously which will increase humidity.

Try to keep humidity between 40% to 60% in room for best comfort.

SamPtnk

TF Ace
Go for Daikin /mitsubishi plain model no AI or auto clean BS

Reason if these useless parts fail you have to incur costs which are costly.

If your house is near sewage or open drain area opt for non inverter ac

Googix

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have experience with 3 AC companies. Voltas gives the best cooling but expect high current bill charges. LG cooling is not good but very low current consumption. And the whirlpool one is so old and gives way worst cooling.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Whichever company you go with, make sure they have their own company-operated service network(and it is present in your location). The best brand as per my experience is Mitsubishi, but they offer only third-party after-sales support. The guy who came to fix my AC unit ended u ripping it apart due to inexperience and I ended up scrapping it. That's why I only stick to LG and Samsung now.

vine

TF Premier
Whichever company you go with, make sure they have their own company-operated service network(and it is present in your location). The best brand as per my experience is Mitsubishi, but they offer only third-party after-sales support. The guy who came to fix my AC unit ended u ripping it apart due to inexperience and I ended up scrapping it. That's why I only stick to LG and Samsung now.
I didnt knew that about Mitsubishi.
I heard LG service is particularly bad. Hows your experience?

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
I didnt knew that about Mitsubishi.
I heard LG service is particularly bad. Hows your experience?
I use LG both in my residence and my office. I have not had any issues related to service from LG. Very quick turnaround time and reasonable pricing. Fortunately, I have had them over only once for some part replacement and it was done in 2 days. I have 4 & 5 star rated units and the energy consumption is very nominal. Cooling takes a bit of time, but it is very energy-efficient. Mitsubishi and Daikin have the best performance(in terms of cooling) and are very energy efficient as well. I have 2 Mitsubishi ACs still running for the last 8 years without a problem. The third one went kaput due to voltage fluctuations and I had to dump it for the reasons mentioned earlier. So you can take the call accordingly now.

We have Hitachi 1.5 ton AC in our house since 5 years. Cooling is exceptional, but don't know if my unit's faulty or what, it underwent 2 PCB changes. I would suggest General or Mitsubishi, but keep in mind about the after sales service of both. I think LG is the best in after sales services.

telescope

TF Ace
We have Hitachi 1.5 ton AC in our house since 5 years. Cooling is exceptional, but don't know if my unit's faulty or what, it underwent 2 PCB changes. I would suggest General or Mitsubishi, but keep in mind about the after sales service of both. I think LG is the best in after sales services.
What was the cost like to replace pcb each time?

Replacing PCB twice in 5 years is too much. Either power supply is extremely erratic - even beyond the control of stabilizers - or - the installed capacity is insufficient for your type of usage. 26degreesC is ideal. If the unit is running always around 19-20degreesC, then such things happen. Have a relook at it.

Replacing PCB twice in 5 years is too much. Either power supply is extremely erratic - even beyond the control of stabilizers - or - the installed capacity is insufficient for your type of usage. 26degreesC is ideal. If the unit is running always around 19-20degreesC, then such things happen. Have a relook at it.
It's a 12x12 room and installed both AC box and stabilizer as well. It always runs at 27 degrees.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi looking to purchase both a 1.5 ton & 1 ton AC for rooms.

Previous samsung split bought in 2011 1.5 ton performed well

My room size I measured is actually 291.675 sq ft & is on 1st floor with roof on top exposed to direct sun from 1 side

On Hitachi website it says it needs 291.675 * 120 = 35001 BTU cooling capacity

35001/12000 btu 2.91675 tr which means I need 2.91 ton AC

Another website says 291.75 needs to be multiplied by 25 to get BTU

Also there are so many features to choose from.

If you've used the ACs & actually found them to be useful instead if gimmicks please comment

Samsung..

Windfree

1000037618.jpg

IMG_20240305_143654.jpg

IMG_20240305_143608.jpg
Daikin.

Conada airflow.

Pm 2.5 Filter.

Dew clean

IMG_20240305_114822.jpg

IMG_20240305_114754.jpg

Hitachi. Seems to be beating all other ACs in features

24 m air throw.

IMG_20240305_150432.jpg

Ice clean self cleaning technology

images (1) (5).jpeg

Xpandanble+

-original-imagzdy3vuewzpzu.jpeg

Panasonic

7 in 1 convertible
IMG_20240305_114923.jpg
Pm 0.1 filter

Miraie app integrated smart AC
IMG_20240305_150455.jpg

LG.

Dual inverter.

AI integrated

IMG_20240305_143634.jpg

IFB

71cDgQmnLPL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

Haier

1000037592.jpg

Please share the AC models you would sugfest
Buy 2 1.5 T from IFB, their max goes up to 1.7 if reqd.. and gd service

CosmicCat

TF Premier
I'll draw your attention to another factor. If your ambient humidity is more then do not get a higher than needed capacity ac.

If the AC undersized, the compressor will run continuously and reduce humidity to undesirable low levels.

If your AC capacity is oversized then it'll run the compressor for short duration and keep blower on continuously which will increase humidity.

Try to keep humidity between 40% to 60% in room for best comfort.
Interesting point, @plastikman.
My room's dimensions are 366 (W) x 316 cm (L) x 315 (H) cm. It's in the ground floor (With two floors above), and Sunlight falls directly in my room most of the day. There's a pond behind my house, and since I'm in Kolkata, there's usually too much humidity (More than 50-70%) most of the year.

So, what tonnage AC should I go for? Most sites suggested 1 ton, but they didn't consider the humidity factor.

telescope

TF Ace
My room's dimensions are 366 (W) x 316 cm (L) x 315 (H) cm. It's in the ground floor (With two floors above), and Sunlight falls directly in my room most of the day. There's a pond behind my house, and since I'm in Kolkata, there's usually too much humidity (More than 50-70%) most of the year.

So, what tonnage AC should I go for? Most sites suggested 1 ton, but they didn't consider the humidity factor.
1 ton would be fine.

gabu

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Try this ac https://amzn.to/4asOTYo
Rated cooling capacity of 3195w suits your room size.
Set it to 40% once the room cool down to set temperature.
40% mode take care of humidity with very low power bill.
LG service is very prompt in most of metros.

Batmanbaba

TF Legend
If u can get window ac installed in your house.. It is better than any split ac... Any day of the week in terms of cooling, longevity and maintenance cost plus installation cost....

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge

Since, it is impossible to know the actual heat load in your room, and also the fact that ACs are available as either 1.0 ton or 1.5 ton; only empirical thumb rules have to be relied upon.

Most of the AC manufacturers use the volume / area method which would suggest around 1.095 ton for your 120 sq ft room.

The conundrum is that 1 ton AC may work just fine for your room but since you have sunlight coming into the room, the room maybe getting warm as well so hopefully 1 Ton will suffice.

As humidity is high in your vicinity, a lesser tonnage ac will run longer and dehumidify more.

So, if I were to decide for myself, I would get the 1 ton AC but with 5star rating (preferably inverter type) as it may run longer and dehumidify well but consume more power. On the otherhand if you choose to go for a 1.5 ton AC may not dehumidify well. But in that case you can always get a portable dehumidifier.

So, as you can see there is no straight forward answer to your question.

CosmicCat

TF Premier
Try this ac https://amzn.to/4asOTYo
Rated cooling capacity of 3195w suits your room size.
Set it to 40% once the room cool down to set temperature.
40% mode take care of humidity with very low power bill.
LG service is very prompt in most of metros.
I already have an LG 1 Ton 4 Star AC, which I purchased in Oct '23. Although the built quality is nice, but its vertical swing sucks. Doesn't go down to the desired level. And the fan speed is very-very low too even in highest speed.

The 1.5 Ton 5 Star Panasonic AC (2023 Model, purchased in Oct' 23 too) has amazingly powerful fan speed, and the vertical swing goes down at a very low angle too, but its plastic build quality sucks. Sometimes the inner makes plastic cracking noise while it's cooling, which usually comes from the swing.

But both of them are good cooling-wise, however LG takes longer time, like 30 mins at 24°C (If the room temp is 32°C). All the rooms have about the size I mentioned above, which is, 366 (W) x 316 cm (L) x 315 (H) cm.

So, I'm looking forward to another brand, preferably Daikin or Carrier. However, I'm confused whether to go with 1 ton or 1.5 ton. I am planning to use it not more than 2-3 hours a day.