• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Help suggest split AC based on personal user experience

CosmicCat

TF Premier
Since, it is impossible to know the actual heat load in your room, and also the fact that ACs are available as either 1.0 ton or 1.5 ton; only empirical thumb rules have to be relied upon.

Most of the AC manufacturers use the volume / area method which would suggest around 1.095 ton for your 120 sq ft room.

The conundrum is that 1 ton AC may work just fine for your room but since you have sunlight coming into the room, the room maybe getting warm as well so hopefully 1 Ton will suffice.

As humidity is high in your vicinity, a lesser tonnage ac will run longer and dehumidify more.

So, if I were to decide for myself, I would get the 1 ton AC but with 5star rating (preferably inverter type) as it may run longer and dehumidify well but consume more power. On the otherhand if you choose to go for a 1.5 ton AC may not dehumidify well. But in that case you can always get a portable dehumidifier.

So, as you can see there is no straight forward answer to your question.
Thank your for the suggestions, @plastikman 🫡 Really appreciate it. I'll ponder more about it.

CosmicCat

TF Premier
Interesting point, @plastikman.
My room's dimensions are 366 (W) x 316 cm (L) x 315 (H) cm. It's in the ground floor (With two floors above), and Sunlight falls directly in my room most of the day. There's a pond behind my house, and since I'm in Kolkata, there's usually too much humidity (More than 50-70%) most of the year.

So, what tonnage AC should I go for? Most sites suggested 1 ton, but they didn't consider the humidity factor.
I have decided to go with a 1 Ton AC.

Can anyone let me know how's the quality of the "Carrier" brand? I'm looking for any good brand apart from LG and Panasonic, since I already own both these brands, and need another one this time. Or should I go with Daikin? Carrier is a bit cheaper than Daikin, and also provides corrosion coating and warranty on the PCB.

Last edited:

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I have decided to go with an 1 Ton AC.

Can anyone let me know how's the quality of the "Carrier" brand? I'm looking for any good brand apart from LG and Panasonic, since I already own both these brands, and need another one this time. Or should I go with Daikin? Carrier is a bit cheaper than Daikin, and also provides corrosion coating and warranty on the PCB.
I have found Daikin to be good, both performance and efficiency wise. PCB is not a problem just ensure that you don't have wild voltage fluctuations in your area.

Ask the dealer of they can provide extra coil coating, especially after 1st wet service.

Carrier used to be good 2 decades back but now a days they are made in China while Daikin is made in Alwar.

Farhad sekh

TF Premier
A
I have found Daikin to be good, both performance and efficiency wise. PCB is not a problem just ensure that you don't have wild voltage fluctuations in your area.

Ask the dealer of they can provide extra coil coating, especially after 1st wet service.

Carrier used to be good 2 decades back but now a days they are made in China while Daikin is made in Alwar.
After , Daikin,
What other brands are now doing good in ac?

telescope

TF Ace

Carrier is made in haryana.

COSMOCRAT

TF Premier
A service guy said Daikin requires direct power to the outdoor unit so it's good for independent houses but not recommended for flat owners. Is that true?
Currently, we have Panasonic and Lloyd.

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
A service guy said Daikin requires direct power to the outdoor unit so it's good for independent houses but not recommended for flat owners. Is that true?
Currently, we have Panasonic and Lloyd.
Yes, it is powered from outdoor which actually makes it safer. I stay in a high rise and it makes no difference at all. Only little additional wire is required to loop the connection from inside to ODU.

COSMOCRAT

TF Premier
How llyod is performing?
It's a 1 ton 3 star window in our guest room, using it for about 7+ years. Cooling is a bit slow, noisy, and the buttons on the panel stopped working after 2 years. But little to no maintenance is required.
TBH I have only kept it so that guests should return home quickly.

It's a 1 ton 3 star window in our guest room, using it for about 7+ years. Cooling is a bit slow, noisy, and the buttons on the panel stopped working after 2 years. But little to no maintenance is required.
TBH I have only kept it so that guests should return home quickly.

Luckily, now-a-days we have software Apps for all types of remotes - TVs, DTHs, ACs.... We stopped using their original remotes.

Abhi5467

TF Select
1 ton 3 star and 1.5 ton 3 star even some 5 star like LG PANASONIC doesn't have true 1.5 tonnage. It's actually 1.42 ton. For close to 300sq direct sun exposure I'll suggest get 3 ton ac or close to that which is not available as many options only some brands like OGeneral, Mitsubishi produces close to that capacity and that too will cost you upwards of 1 lakh. Better go with 2 *1.5 ton 5 star AC given annual consumption is around 750 units will perform close to a 3 star AC. You can get 2 acs 1.5 ton 5 star 40k each with card offers.