• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to activate an ICICI credit card? No, I am not technologically challenged

subhadip25

TF Buzz
First post in this forum. Requesting moderators to put this post in the applicable thread.

Applied for an ICICI credit card 8 days ago. It got delivered today morning. Been trying to activate it since last 6 hours. Unable to do so. ICICI says to activate the card I need to :-

1. Install iMobile pay app and go through some process. I installed the app, tried to login, but it tells me to “Claim your upi” and shows bunch of banks name. So in a way, I can’t log in to this app and therefore unable to activate my card. I don’t have any accounts in ICICI btw.
  2. It tells me to login to net banking and activate the card. I didn’t receive any user id/password from ICICI for login. So I go to the forgot user id/password option and it tells me that my mobile number is not registered with the bank.
  3. I call their customer care number. After 10 minutes of giving information (from my side), the IVR finally puts me on hold to speak with the customer care representative and guess what, my waitlist number is 533! I keep the phone down with speaker on full volume. The IVR starts to count down the waitlist number. After about 20 minutes, when the waitlist is reduced to 300 something, the call was cut.
I am using HDFC, Amex and Axis credit cards since last 8 years. Never thought that it will be such a hassle to simply activate a credit card. Anyone can help/faced similar issues?

First post in this forum. Requesting moderators to put this post in the applicable thread.

Applied for an ICICI credit card 8 days ago. It got delivered today morning. Been trying to activate it since last 6 hours. Unable to do so. ICICI says to activate the card I need to :-

1. Install iMobile pay app and go through some process. I installed the app, tried to login, but it tells me to “Claim your upi” and shows bunch of banks name. So in a way, I can’t log in to this app and therefore unable to activate my card. I don’t have any accounts in ICICI btw.
  2. It tells me to login to net banking and activate the card. I didn’t receive any user id/password from ICICI for login. So I go to the forgot user id/password option and it tells me that my mobile number is not registered with the bank.
  3. I call their customer care number. After 10 minutes of giving information (from my side), the IVR finally puts me on hold to speak with the customer care representative and guess what, my waitlist number is 533! I keep the phone down with speaker on full volume. The IVR starts to count down the waitlist number. After about 20 minutes, when the waitlist is reduced to 300 something, the call was cut.
I am using HDFC, Amex and Axis credit cards since last 8 years. Never thought that it will be such a hassle to simply activate a credit card. Anyone can help/faced similar issues?
So I was determined that I will get a human to talk and waited patiently for about 45 minutes. The IVR kept counting down the number of people in line before me from 300 something. When my time came after about 45 minutes, there was radio silence from the other side for about 7-8 minutes more and the line was cut. What is this? Is this the customer service standard in ICICI?

Go to ICICI netbanking login page, there an option will be available "Get User ID", enter the details of the credit card. After validating through Credit card number and mobile OTP, come back to the same login page. Now use the option "Get Password" and give the received UserID & mobile number in previous step.

Go to ICICI netbanking login page, there an option will be available "Get User ID", enter the details of the credit card. After validating through Credit card number and mobile OTP, come back to the same login page. Now use the option "Get Password" and give the received UserID & mobile number in previous step.
Tried this one already. Not working. See the screenshot. It says my mobile number is not registered. IMG_6915.png

An update. I tried to purchase something on Amazon through this card. OTP came but payment failed. I got mail from ICICI that my domestic/international transaction is not enabled. Weird stuff.

1. It tells me to login to net banking and activate the card. I didn’t receive any user id/password from ICICI for login. So I go to the forgot user id/password option and it tells me that my mobile number is not registered with the bank.
There is a Get User ID option in the login screen in ICICI Netbanking site. I have been using this card for couple of years, never installed the ICICI app.

Screenshot 2023-10-07 212750.png

There is a Get User ID option in the login screen in ICICI Netbanking site. I have been using this card for couple of years, never installed the ICICI app.

View attachment 31651
Hey brother, thank you for the reply. I tried doing it the way you said. But when I click the Get User ID option it goes to this page which asks for my account number. I don’t have an account in ICICI. This is weird. Is it supposed to be this tough to activate your card?

Attachments

• IMG_6916.png
    IMG_6916.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 14
Hey brother, thank you for the reply. I tried doing it the way you said. But when I click the Get User ID option it goes to this page which asks for my account number. I don’t have an account in ICICI. This is weird. Is it supposed to be this tough to activate your card?
Do it in desktop browser, or atleast desktop view in mobile browser. When I do it my desktop browser, it shows the form that you showed, and when I choose Credit card, it will change the form to ask CC number and mobile number.

1696698573009.png

Do it in desktop browser, or atleast desktop view in mobile browser. When I do it my desktop browser, it shows the form that you showed, and when I choose Credit card, it will change the form to ask CC number and mobile number.

View attachment 31654
So I don’t have a laptop or desktop at home. I tried opening the site in all the gadgets (with a screen) we have at home i. e. 14 pro max, 13 pro, Galaxy tab S8+ and an IPad Air. I used all the browsers that I have installed i. e. Safari, Chrome, Firefox. I used desktop view in all of them. And still the darn thing shows the account number option only (as given in my screenshot). As I said, weird stuff.

You will need the customer care to link your mobile to net banking. They take the request on call. You will have to mention that you do not have any savings account with them hence no netbanking credentials. It takes about a day to get this linked. This solution is already mentioned somewhere on the forum. Maybe try searching with some of these keywords. Hope this helps.

You will need the customer care to link your mobile to net banking. They take the request on call. You will have to mention that you do not have any savings account with them hence no netbanking credentials. It takes about a day to get this linked. This solution is already mentioned somewhere on the forum. Maybe try searching with some of these keywords. Hope this helps.
Thanks for this brother, will try it asap.

Tried it bro. No dice. I have already mentioned it in my OP.
Sorry, just now checked it. I think then the steps given by @j_s is the possible solution.

P.S: When I opened a new account with them, I've to do similar steps because my mobile number was still tagged to old customer id (which was created when I had their APay card).

So I don’t have a laptop or desktop at home. I tried opening the site in all the gadgets (with a screen) we have at home i. e. 14 pro max, 13 pro, Galaxy tab S8+ and an IPad Air. I used all the browsers that I have installed i. e. Safari, Chrome, Firefox. I used desktop view in all of them. And still the darn thing shows the account number option only (as given in my screenshot). As I said, weird stuff.
The options are there in the page, but ICICI has chosen to hide it when viewed from mobile, even if you request Desktop site. It can be done with some external scripts with firefox addons and such, but I wouldn't recommend that. As other posters have mentioned, it would be better to go via customer support or get a loaner laptop from your friends or neighbours for a quick setup session.

Download Puffin browser, it's a cloud based browser with advanced features such as Flash, which is generally only available on desktop browsers.

You will get proper desktop view sites with full compatibility there.

Back