• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to avoid Electricity bill convenience fee when paying by CC

commonaman

TF Buzz
My avg electricity bill (TPDDL) is around 60K per month and when I pay through my CC they charge 0.75% convenience fee which amounts to a-lot yearly (around 5400 INR)
I just wanted to ask if there is any way to avoid this convenience fee and still pay through my CC?
APay restricts bill payments to 15k if using card.

My avg electricity bill (TPDDL) is around 60K per month and when I pay through my CC they charge 0.75% convenience fee which amounts to a-lot yearly (around 5400 INR)
I just wanted to ask if there is any way to avoid this convenience fee and still pay through my CC?
Purchase Amazon gift card through cc
Add it to apay wallet
Use it to pay bills

You can try fetching the bill from Google Pay and see if you are getting charged for the CC option. Google Pay has options to add CC and pay utility bills via CC. Currently, below are cards are supported. Moreover, if you have Axis ACE card you can use it to get 5% unilmited cashback. If you are still getting charged with conv. fees, it would be still worth it as you would be getting 4.25% cashback.

1662557728703.png

But there could be limitations in the app of Rs. 20000 per transaction or so as I was reading it in some of the forums. I could be wrong here.

Last edited:
You can try fetching the bill from Google Pay and see if you are getting charged for the CC option. Google Pay has options to add CC and pay utility bills via CC. Currently, below are cards are supported. Moreover, if you have Axis ACE card you can use it to get 5% unilmited cashback. If you are still getting charged with conv. fees, it would be still worth it as you would be getting 4.25% cashback.

View attachment 4342

But there could be limitations in the app of Rs. 20000 per transaction or so as I was reading it in some of the forums. I could be wrong here.
The upper limit of 20k or 25k is the main problem in all the apps, since my average bill is around 50k every month.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, thought so. In that case, you probably have to choose some cards which give more returns over your conv. charges. For example - Axis ACE gives 2%, BOB Eterna or SC Ultimate which gives over 3%. But the problem is since you are paying high amounts of elec bills for commercial purpose..banks will start to notice these credit card transactions after a while and they might give you warnings or even block your card unless it is a business one.

Yeah, thought so. In that case, you probably have to choose some cards which give more returns over your conv. charges. For example - Axis ACE gives 2%, BOB Eterna or SC Ultimate which gives over 3%. But the problem is since you are paying high amounts of elec bills for commercial purpose..banks will start to notice these credit card transactions after a while and they might give you warnings or even block your card unless it is a business one.
I don't think the bank can know whether he's paying elec bill or any other bill. The block can happen in case of Axis Ace only since they give 5% unlimited CB for bill payments, so they only can block the card for abuse. Other cards won't as for them a bill payment or any other payment are all the same.

Can you go to ur TPDDL website and check if they accept CCs? You can take any card like Business MoneyBack for that... It is business (so no abuse) and MoneyBack goves u cb for online spends

I don't think the bank can know whether he's paying elec bill or any other bill. The block can happen in case of Axis Ace only since they give 5% unlimited CB for bill payments, so they only can block the card for abuse. Other cards won't as for them a bill payment or any other payment are all the same.
They cannot know that. But, they have estimated figures for domestic payments. Like a bill which costs Rs 60k , can never be a domestic bill, unless it's rich people's house.
Similarly, if you shop a lot from Online shops, that you use 70-100+ % limit through Cards, banks will also step back and analyze your spend structure. Because, it is clearly mentioned in all Credit Cards that one cannot use it for commercial purpose. Commercial cards are different, and they have low late fee charges, and low to none reward rates

Use PayZapp for the same.

Back