• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

I want a AmEx card card, but none seems profitable

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier
I want to American Express credit card, but all my existing credit cards give better rewards for online transactions (like SBI CB) and i am a bit doubtful about the offline acceptance as i live in a tier 2 city. So can you please suggest me an American Express credit/charge card and also give me tips to keep make holding the card profitable, or atleast so that i don't lose money by simply keeping the card.

KingAAR

TF Ace
I want to American Express credit card, but all my existing credit cards give better rewards for online transactions (like SBI CB) and i am a bit doubtful about the offline acceptance as i live in a tier 2 city. So can you please suggest me an American Express credit/charge card and also give me tips to keep make holding the card profitable, or atleast so that i don't lose money by simply keeping the card.
just take for referral benefit and close it at the end of year as it is anyway FYF...

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier
dont take it if it doesnt cater to your needs
i just wanted one for occasional offers and for card collection.
hmm the lowest end AmEx smart earn has annual fee waiver at 40,000Rs.
any idea on where i should spend that?
and is the offline acceptance really as bad as it used to be?

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier
just take for referral benefit and close it at the end of year as it is anyway FYF...
no i don't want it just for a year, i want to keep an amex card in the wallet for occasional offers, and also for the sake of having an amex card.
i mean there has to be some way to recover the annual fees right?
like the 40k annual fees waiver isnt much, and i can surely spend it at a place where the other cards don't give rewards.
i am open for any other suggestions

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
no i don't want it just for a year, i want to keep an amex card in the wallet for occasional offers, and also for the sake of having an amex card.
i mean there has to be some way to recover the annual fees right?
like the 40k annual fees waiver isnt much, and i can surely spend it at a place where the other cards don't give rewards.
i am open for any other suggestions
Best way to spend on Amex card is : buying Amazon Gift Vouchers and spending thru Amazon…

If you are not planning to spend 40k on Amex cards means, they may not be suitable for your needs..
Don’t go for this card, if your planned spends are offline

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
if offline acceptance is bad cant do anything apart from shifting spends to online as much as possible

Patil007

TF Ace
F_TcFZbaMAAjbq6.jpg

2 Baar khel chuka hu :ROFLMAO: .

I have collected 20 credit cards post joining this forum and I wanted Amex as well just for collection. But after thinking thoroughly and suggestions receievd from TF members. I decided not to apply.

I already have Axis Ace, SBI BPCL and Citi Rewards paid. Need to spend to reverse the annual fee for these card. I don't want to add another paid card. Amex acceptance is lowest in india.

After knowing all these I still sometime thinks to apply 🤪

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier
F_TcFZbaMAAjbq6.jpg

2 Baar khel chuka hu :ROFLMAO: .

I have collected 20 credit cards post joining this forum and I wanted Amex as well just for collection. But after thinking thoroughly and suggestions receievd from TF members. I decided not to apply.

I already have Axis Ace, SBI BPCL and Citi Rewards paid. Need to spend to reverse the annual fee for these card. I don't want to add another paid card. Amex acceptance is lowest in india.

After knowing all these I still sometime thinks to apply 🤪
Best way to spend on Amex card is : buying Amazon Gift Vouchers and spending thru Amazon…

If you are not planning to spend 40k on Amex cards means, they may not be suitable for your needs..
Don’t go for this card, if your planned spends are offline
ok i have to think about this for a while then

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier
1710222022168.png 1710222027840.png
can someone explain the reward structure to me?
if I visit the smart earn card's page directly, I am getting a different set of merchants for 10X and 5X Rewards than the ones I get if I visit the page via a referral.

Riya

TF Ace
Amex's biggest takeaway is their Gyftr portal where brand vouchers are available at discount and MR points are also doubled tripled... Online offers are very scarcely found for AMEX cards

KingAAR

TF Ace
1710222022168.png 1710222027840.png
can someone explain the reward structure to me?
if I visit the smart earn card's page directly, I am getting a different set of merchants for 10X and 5X Rewards than the ones I get if I visit the page via a referral.
smart earn is lowest rewarding, so basically you get 5% Cashback in form of points for few merchants (10X category) and 2.5% for the 5X like Paytm wallet, e.t.c... And there are many forums regarding this , check out

sousnake

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
If you invest in nps, then MRCC does consider it for milestone, so you can achieve spends of 90k using nps (50k) & get half fee waiver.
If not smart earn is fine for amazon voucher or even mrcc is fine if 90k spends possible (half fee waiver).

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier
If you invest in nps, then MRCC does consider it for milestone, so you can achieve spends of 90k using nps (50k) & get half fee waiver.
If not smart earn is fine for amazon voucher or even mrcc is fine if 90k spends possible (half fee waiver).
Yeah I was thinking about that
But does nps accept amex?

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier
smart earn is lowest rewarding, so basically you get 5% Cashback in form of points for few merchants (10X category) and 2.5% for the 5X like Paytm wallet, e.t.c... And there are many forums regarding this , check out
But my doubt was the difference in the merchants in both the screenshots

And if I can get close to 5% cashback on amazon and Flipkart I might aswell close some of my other cards, and use this

varun__goel_

TF Legend

And if I can get close to 5% cashback on amazon and Flipkart I might aswell close some of my other cards, and use this
Smart Earn has capping:-
10x MR upto 500/month on Zomato ie Rs125

10x MR upto 500/month jointly on Flipkart, Mynta Blinkit, Nykaa, Ajio, Bookmyshow, Uber, PVR ie Rs125

5x MR upto 250/month jointly on Amazon, Paytm

1 MR per Rs 50 for others

Last edited:

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge

1) don't go for smart earn, it is a very basic card amd limited rewards.
2) MRCC is the one you should get.
You will earn more than 5% using mrcc . You need to use it majority of the spending thru AGV.

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier
1) don't go for smart earn, it is a very basic card amd limited rewards.
2) MRCC is the one you should get.
You will earn more than 5% using mrcc . You need to use it majority of the spending thru AGV.
Does it give 5000 MR points on paying the annual fees aswell?

And how does it give 5% on AGV? Pls tell🥺