• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

I want to upgrade the SSD of my laptop. Need some help with compactibility

AsB

TF Ace
I have a HP EN0001AX Laptop. I want to increase the SSD Space, as 500 GB is wayyy too less for me. So, I know that my laptop supports NVME M.2 PCIe SSD. My question is -
  1. Can I get any SSD that is M2 NVME, where the form factor is or isn't 2280 ?
  2. Is the compatibility dependant on Read/Write speed ? Like, if my current SSD's speed is 3200 MB/s, can I use a 7300 MB/s SSD ?
  3. Will my laptop support Gen4 SSDs ?
  4. How do I check SSD compatiblitity with ANY laptop (in general) ? What to check, like form factor, model, read/write speed, etc. ?
  5. I am planning a Custom PC (by Dussehra mostly). So, I want an SSD such that for now, it will be used in my PC. Later on, I will use it in that Custom PC or my PS5. So, will it be possible ? If yes, which kind of Motherboard can I select (for custom PC )?

ritwik2000

TF Premier
1. all m2 nvme ssd should work
2. yup support krega but bottleneck hoga
3. no idea
4. have a talk with hp customer care
5. major motherboards now support m2 nvme ssds so I don't think you will have a problem. for compatible mb check md computers, vedantt computers, etc website.

ritwik2000

TF Premier
Iska matlab ? Bottleneck kyon ?
matlab if your laptop supports ssd max speed of say 500mb/sec and you install a SSD with r/w speed of 800mb/sec. you will still get 500mb/sec with that SSD. that's what know as bottleneck.

Reactions: AsB

anonymuos

TF Ace
1. M.2 2280 is the most common form factor so it would most likely be cheaper. M.2 2242 are unnecessarily expensive or hard to find. Also M.2 2242 often omit DRAM and instead use the Host memory buffer

2. Compatibility not dependent on read-write speed/performance.

3. Gen 4 SSDs work at Gen 3 (slower) speeds (backward compatible). If your laptop's chipset supports PCIe Gen 4, they will work at Gen 4 speeds. Gen 4/Gen 5 SSDs generally require/come with a heatsink for those kinds of speeds so be sure to get one if operating at Gen 4 speeds. If your laptop supports only PCIe Gen 3, then get Gen 3 as they'll be cheaper (cost/GB lower).

4. Form factor determines compatibility. Before M.2 NVMe, there was M.2 SATA and the two were not compatible. Neither was mSATA or 2.5" SATA. The slot and the module have to support the same key in order to be compatible. M.2 2280 have B+M key.

1714146456711.png

5. M.2 2280 SSD should work in a desktop PC too as many motherboards today have M.2 slot but M.2 was invented as a mobile form factor. For a desktop PC, you can also get an SSD that goes directly into the PCIe slot on the motherboard or an adapter with M.2 slot (if your desktop motherboard doesn't have one). For a desktop PC, options are endless as it's very flexible about hardware.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AsB