• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is partial refund to RuPay CC UPI from a merchant possible?

CosmicCat

TF Ace
I bought items worth over ₹500 from JioMart and paid using my HDFC Tata Neu Infinity RuPay CC UPI through the PhonePe app about 5 days ago.

Due to the unavailability of some items, JioMart initiated a refund of ₹52 to the original payment method. However, the refund is still not visible in my credit card statement even after 5 days.

Moreover, PhonePe does not show any credit transaction of ₹52 in the transaction history as well.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has received a partial refund for an amount paid through RuPay UPI from a merchant?

EDIT (14/07/2024): The refund is reflecting in the current statement today. It was automatic. Didn't have to raise a complaint.

Last edited:
I bought items worth over ₹500 from JioMart and paid using my HDFC Tata Neu Infinity RuPay CC UPI through the PhonePe app about 5 days ago.

Due to the unavailability of some items, JioMart initiated a refund of ₹52 to the original payment method. However, the refund is still not visible in my credit card statement even after 5 days.

Moreover, PhonePe does not show any credit transaction of ₹52 in the transaction history as well.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has received a partial refund for an amount paid through RuPay UPI from a merchant?
Last year, the same thing happened to me I paid a COD order at my doorstep with Rupay HDFC Neo Card and for some reason, I returned the product, and the refund was initiated via Cheque by Amazon. The reason mentioned to me is that the refund can't be processed to the original payment method.

Yes, in general partial refund is possible and it takes time to reflect in the statement

Last year, the same thing happened to me I paid a COD order at my doorstep with Rupay HDFC Neo Card and for some reason, I returned the product, and the refund was initiated via Cheque by Amazon. The reason mentioned to me is that the refund can't be processed to the original payment method.

Yes, in general partial refund is possible and it takes time to reflect in the statement
Just Curious: Cheque really? Who came to deliver that cheque to your address, delivery agent or someone else? Cheque type was?

Could have taken your bank details also na?

Have you paid on doorstep using links?

Partial Refund, yes, possible

I don't know why they take order if the product was out of stock. If order gets confirmed, should deliver it or compensate buyers for inconvenience.

Refund takes time in case of cards, do wait for few more days, it usually gets credited within 7 business days.

Bank may credit it with some previous date. Check your statement on Mobile/ Internet Banking after few days.

P.S: You can ask Refund Refrence ID from JioMart when it will get done and forward the same to HDFC, if somehow, it won't get credited even after 7-10 business days.

I don't know why they take order if the product was out of stock. If order gets confirmed, should deliver it or compensate buyers for inconvenience
Typical JioMart behaviour. They haven't really changed for the past four years at all—which is why I rarely shop from them. Please note that I live in a Tier-1 city wherein all their orders are dispatched from one of their Reliance SMART points, yet such things happen most of the times.

Refund takes time in case of cards, do wait for few more days, it usually gets credited within 7 business days.

Bank may credit it with some previous date. Check your statement on Mobile/ Internet Banking after few days.
I do know about the refund timelines. Usually the refunds on RuPay cards for non-UPI transactions arrive by the third business day. But in my case, five working days have passed already. Given that RuPay on UPI is a new technology, and many payment gateways are still nascent when it comes to leveraging it fully, so I wondered if they can reverse a partial UPI payment back to the card.

I've had miserable experiences with refunds on RuPay cards' UPI though. One time, I paid with BHIM app on Flipkart, and had refund initiation for an order cancellation. Since the BHIM app uses a common VPA for all the accounts and cards, Flipkart's payment gateway (airtel) tried to credit to the VPA instead of reversing the transaction. So, essentially, the refund came back to my bank account instead of the credit card statement. 😂

Another time, again with Flipkart which I paid with Flipkart UPI, they couldn't reverse the transaction for an order return, and the refund failed. So, they asked me my bank account number to issue the refund.

Last edited:
Just Curious: Cheque really? Who came to deliver that cheque to your address, delivery agent or someone else? Cheque type was?
Yes, Cheque. Not sure by whom it was delivered either by Bluedart or Indian Post. Deutsche Bank Cheque payable at any other bank branch also pan INDIA in my name. Note cheque was Issued by the seller according to Amazon.
Could have taken your bank details also na?
Yes, they already have my bank details. Reply from Amazon I paid using the Rupay credit card at the doorstep, they tried to issue the refund on the card but were unable to do so. Then after 4-5 days randomly I got the cheque via Amazon. Then again I called them and asked to cancel the cheque and issue the amount in my pay balance. This took around 10-12 days.
Have you paid on doorstep using links?
Yes, I paid by scanning the QR code at the doorstep.

Back