• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Marriott Bonvoy 40% more points on buying

Even for Mumbai it’s hovering between 0.7 to 1.1
Courtyard Navi Mumbai giving the best of 1.06 I guess
It’s a newer property just opened in Dec-22 so maybe demand is lesser. Plus it’s just beside the DY Patil stadium so I believe demand would be more during IPL.

While i was checking couple of weeks back i had seen Courtyard Chakan (Pune) was providing a value of around 1.2-1.5 on certain dates where it was priced at 5500-6000 points a night. I feel this is good value but yeah it’s only very few days in a month like 2-3 dates only when they have the lowest pricing in points. I couldn’t find anything like this for any other property in Mumbai-Pune. I think with some efforts and searching we could find cheap nights but definitely it would take alot of time and research and another downside is one has to plan a trip around such dates or be really lucky to find cheap point redemption on their specific dates

Last edited:
Isn’t that a low value for a point to be considered as good? Reading and researching online I’ve generally seen most people mention its better to use points when you’re getting a value more than 1Re. If its less than that better to pay Cash and use the points for a better time. Generally within Mumbai/Pune ive seen the value of points range from 1.1-1.6Rs. Of course it depends on the specific day chosen and the demand.
Oh, i just joined Marriot recently and was looking at touristy places. Please share ones which provided >1 value.

I have applied for Amex Platinum… where they are giving 1.25L MR points as welcome. Membership fee 71k (incl gst). So, thats 76% bonus points (given all points transferred to bonvoy 1:1). Good deal?

Reactions: 787
I have applied for Amex Platinum… where they are giving 1.25L MR points as welcome. Membership fee 71k (incl gst). So, thats 76% bonus points (given all points transferred to bonvoy 1:1). Good deal?
Yes good for the first year atleast.

Definitely. Back when I got it, they were running an upgrade offer for those affected by the Jet Airways closure. I shut down the Jet card and got an upgrade to Plat at 30k/year with 8k worth of Amazon vouchers, i.e. 2k per card including supplementary. Also the cashback offers, the discounts on hotels, etc. make it worth it.

Oh, i just joined Marriot recently and was looking at touristy places. Please share ones which provided >1 value.
To get the highest value possible one would generally have to go for Higher end Luxury properties which could be outside of India. I’ve read some posts elsewhere where people have got a value of 3-4 per point but yes those kind of redemptions require alot of points somewhere in the range of 1-5lakh points and definitely collecting them could take a while.

Other than that i would specifically mention keeping a watch on certain properties which you really would want to visit. There are certain times when the Point price would be lower than the Cash price which could be identified based on a comparison and definitely you should go ahead if you come across such a situation. I believe earlier when Marriot wasn’t Dynamic we were getting better value as the point price was generally fixed for all days and it was easy to compare but now the point price keeps changing and its also different for different dates sometimes even double the points on certain dates so its a lot harder to compare now.

I believe they use dynamic pricing for points as well now. So pricing would also depend on demand in addition to category.
Yes from January 2023 MB shows dynamic prices and to check it I booked a property for May month and today I checked it’s something 500 points low for same location same room
Didn’t tried to cancel and book let it be
But my doubts if on my date of stay if price shoots up will they deduct more points from me? Or whatever points I locked that’s final irrespective of dynamic movement

Yes 3x on Amex RP

To put it with the example -
for transaction close to Rs 43150 got 3237 RP
And 40000+16000 marriot points.
Didn’t understand.

How did you get 40000 + 16000 Marriott points for transaction of 43150?

Didn’t understand.

How did you get 40000 + 16000 Marriott points for transaction of 43150?
Bought 40k marriot points that costed 43510 ( usd conversion to INR - amex plat)

16k points are bonus point i.e 40% offer

Reactions: 787
Yes from January 2023 MB shows dynamic prices and to check it I booked a property for May month and today I checked it’s something 500 points low for same location same room
Didn’t tried to cancel and book let it be
But my doubts if on my date of stay if price shoots up will they deduct more points from me? Or whatever points I locked that’s final irrespective of dynamic movement
What you book for is basically what you’ve paid in points and you’ve locked that price. The Dynamic price would impact situations where you would plan to make a booking and you haven’t made it yet. Once your booking is confirmed You don’t have to pay more if the point price goes up or you won’t recieve any points if the price goes down.
On a lighter note Imagine if this were possible most of us would trade with our points and make more points out of it. How fun would that be xD

What you book for is basically what you’ve paid in points and you’ve locked that price. The Dynamic price would impact situations where you would plan to make a booking and you haven’t made it yet. Once your booking is confirmed You don’t have to pay more if the point price goes up or you won’t recieve any points if the price goes down.
On a lighter note Imagine if this were possible most of us would trade with our points and make more points out of it. How fun would that be xD
Lol by looking at 500 points less price for my booking I thought to cancel and rebook but scared if i didn’t get back points post cancellation
I can say gamble than fun if systems allow this

Lol by looking at 500 points less price for my booking I thought to cancel and rebook but scared if i didn’t get back points post cancellation
I’m not sure how it works in terms of cancellations for a point based booking. My best guess is they don’t allow it or they will forfeit your points. Maybe check with their support team in general what happens if one cancels a point based booking.
If it helps you save 500 points if they refund it definitely makes sense to do it. It helps with your next booking.
Please help us all know too if you get a confirmation from their end :)

can we use Marriotte Bonvoy points to settle dining bill at one of their restaurants? fully or partially?

I always feel that buying points of Bonvoy does not make sense even with the 40% bonus, if it were 100% or so one can look at it. If you were to a direct booking at the hotel more likely you would get a fairly better deal. Secondly, I always feel that using Amex for Forex spends is not the best option even with 3X points. Amex Plat is great for lot of things but not really for earning/redeeming points. The effective value is far less. Plus Amex charges 3.5% for forex spends plsu 18% GST on that so effectively you pay 4.1%. Axis Reserve on the other hand would have given 15 points per 100 = 12 Bonvoy miles and the forex surcharge is only 1.5%.

Last edited:
I always feel that buying points of Bonvoy does not make sense even with the 40% bonus, if it were 100% or so one can look at it. If you were to a direct booking at the hotel more likely you would get a fairly better deal. Secondly, I always feel that using Amex for Forex spends is not the best option even with 3X points. Amex Plat is great for lot of things but not really for earning/redeeming points. The effective value is far less. Plus Amex charges 3.5% for forex spends plsu 18% GST on that so effectively you pay 4.1%. Axis Reserve on the other hand would have given 15 points per 100 = 12 Bonvoy miles and the forex surcharge is only 1.5%.

I totally second that.
Buying points doesn't make sense, unless you have a trip planned soon - for which you are short by a certain number. In such a case maybe it makes sense.

Amex Platinum as a reward mechanism is totally useless - even with their 3X multiplier on overseas spends. Reserve makes more sense.

Back