• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Mobikwik reinvested P2P lenders' money without their consent

TechnoFinoTechnoFino is verified member.

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Mobikwik Xtra is a peer-to-peer (P2P) lending platform that partners with Lendbox to facilitate P2P lending across the country. However, Mobikwik and similar platforms were somewhat misleading their customers by advertising these platforms as offering a 12% fixed income opportunity with the ability to withdraw money anytime. As a result, the RBI had to step in and introduce a new set of guidelines for such companies and their customers, effective from August 16, 2024.

According to the "Master Direction - Non-Banking Financial Company – Peer to Peer Lending Platform," dated August 16, 2024:
11. Transparency and Disclosure Requirements

(1) An NBFC-P2P shall be required to disclose the following:
(i) to the lender
  1. details about the borrower(s) including personal identity with his/ her consent (which should be kept on record), required amount, interest rate sought and credit score as arrived by the NBFC-P2P.
And
8. Operational Guidelines:

(3) No loan shall be disbursed unless the lenders and the borrowers have been matched/ mapped as per the board approved policy framed in terms of paragraph 8(1)(iii), the individual lender(s) have approved the individual recipient(s) of the loan, and all concerned participants have signed the loan contract.
In simple terms, NBFC-P2P platforms will send the borrower's details, such as contact information, credit score, etc., to the lender. Only if the lender approves the borrowing request can the NBFC-P2P proceed with processing the loan.

Recently, Mobikwik closed its Flexi and Flexi Plus schemes, which offered a fixed 12% return with interest credited daily, and allowed lenders to withdraw the full or partial amount at any time. These features were against the core principles of P2P lending. In response, Mobikwik shut down the scheme and started partially following the new guidelines.

Why do I say Mobikwik is only partially following the guidelines? Shockingly, Mobikwik & Lendbox redistributed existing lenders' funds to new borrowers without the lenders’ consent. Lenders were not informed about the borrowers’ contact details or credit scores, nor were they given the option to choose borrowers based on their credit profiles—an evident violation of RBI guidelines.

Many lenders have already raised complaints with Mobikwik via phone and email, but according to them, Mobikwik has not resolved the issue. Some lenders have even voiced their concerns on Twitter. I have attached screenshots for your reference.
Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 11.48.41 PM.webp Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 11.49.45 PM.webp
Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 11.50.40 PM.webp Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 11.51.25 PM.webp
Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 11.52.09 PM.webp Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 11.57.35 PM.webp
*These are just a few cases; there are hundreds of complaints available on Twitter.

Mobikwik & Lendbox both should be held accountable for these policy violations and should face action from the RBI.

What can lenders do?
If you’ve already raised the issue with Mobikwik and haven’t received a satisfactory response, I recommend filing a complaint with the RBI. Here’s how you can submit a complaint through the RBI banking ombudsman portal:

Share this post with as many people as possible to bring it to the attention of the relevant authorities, and hopefully, they will take strict action against such companies. I’m also posting this issue on Twitter & YouTube Community Post.
Tweet URL:

Last edited:
Those who want to complain ,follow this :

👉
Step-1: Contact customer care and ask for resolution. If you are not satisfied with the solution then follow Step-2

👉
Step-2: Raise a grievance to Banks or NBFCs’ own Grievance Cell. If you are not satisfied with the solution then follow Step-3

👉
Step-3: Raise complaint with RBI Ombudsman

✳️
Reach Banks/NBFCs/Wallets Grievance Cells through following

👉
Links to raise complaints or grievances with Banks: https://m.rbi.org.in/Scripts/ComplaintBank.aspx

👉
Links to raise complaints or grievances with NBFCs: https://m.rbi.org.in/Scripts/ComplaintNBFC.aspx

👉
Links to raise complaints or grievances with Prepaid Payment Instruments or Wallets like Amazon Pay, PhonePe, PayTM etc https://m.rbi.org.in/Scripts/ComplaintPPI.aspx

✳️
RBI Ombudsman: Link to raise Online Complaint against any RBI regulated entity like Banks, NBFCs, Wallets etc: https://cms.rbi.org.in/cms/indexpage.html#eng

✳️
RBI Ombudsman Scheme: Know your rights to raise complaints against RBI regulated financial companies. Also download Physical Complaint Form: https://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/content/pdfs/RBIOS2021_amendments05082022.pdf

✳️
Addresses of physical offices of RBI Ombudsman in 24 cities to raise complaints offline: https://m.rbi.org.in/Scripts/AboutUsDisplay.aspx?pg=BankingOmbudsmen.htm

Mobikwik Xtra is a peer-to-peer (P2P) lending platform that partners with Lendbox to facilitate P2P lending across the country. However, Mobikwik and similar platforms were somewhat misleading their customers by advertising these platforms as offering a 12% fixed income opportunity with the ability to withdraw money anytime. As a result, the RBI had to step in and introduce a new set of guidelines for such companies and their customers, effective from August 16, 2024.

According to the "Master Direction - Non-Banking Financial Company – Peer to Peer Lending Platform," dated August 16, 2024:

And

In simple terms, NBFC-P2P platforms will send the borrower's details, such as contact information, credit score, etc., to the lender. Only if the lender approves the borrowing request can the NBFC-P2P proceed with processing the loan.

Recently, Mobikwik closed its Flexi and Flexi Plus schemes, which offered a fixed 12% return with interest credited daily, and allowed lenders to withdraw the full or partial amount at any time. These features were against the core principles of P2P lending. In response, Mobikwik shut down the scheme and started partially following the new guidelines.

Why do I say Mobikwik is only partially following the guidelines? Shockingly, Mobikwik & Lendbox redistributed existing lenders' funds to new borrowers without the lenders’ consent. Lenders were not informed about the borrowers’ contact details or credit scores, nor were they given the option to choose borrowers based on their credit profiles—an evident violation of RBI guidelines.

Many lenders have already raised complaints with Mobikwik via phone and email, but according to them, Mobikwik has not resolved the issue. Some lenders have even voiced their concerns on Twitter. I have attached screenshots for your reference.
View attachment 67962View attachment 67964
View attachment 67965View attachment 67966
View attachment 67967View attachment 67968
*These are just a few cases; there are hundreds of complaints available on Twitter.

Mobikwik & Lendbox both should be held accountable for these policy violations and should face action from the RBI.

What can lenders do?
If you’ve already raised the issue with Mobikwik and haven’t received a satisfactory response, I recommend filing a complaint with the RBI. Here’s how you can submit a complaint through the RBI banking ombudsman portal:

Share this post with as many people as possible to bring it to the attention of the relevant authorities, and hopefully, they will take strict action against such companies. I’m also posting this issue on Twitter & YouTube Community Post.
Tweet URL:

what a disaster!! cred mint has also stopped new investment.. et money has a lockin.. looks like liquiloans is afloat but lendbox is foxy!! 🐼🐼

12% bol ke Laxmi Chit fund chala rahe the

People won't understand but I will repeat it again, Indian economy grows at 12-15% returns on average every year, if you're looking to grow your money faster, invest it in the index. They're a lot more safer, proven and come without any risks.

The higher percentages being offered, the higher your risk gets.

People don't trust Mobikwik with ₹10 cashbacks, how can you trust them with thousands/lacs of your hard earned money?

I was also thinking to park money in mobikwik p2p lending. but due to some reason I didn't.
Now I thank god otherwise my fund also would have been blocked.
This is serious matter and rbi should intervene in it.

I was also thinking to park money in mobikwik p2p lending. but due to some reason I didn't.
Now I thank god otherwise my fund also would have been blocked.
This is serious matter and rbi should intervene in it.
this is bcoz rbi intervention that all this is now public

Lets wait for 12-Sept and see how much money we get back.
True. For me, 12th September could be the most important day of my life. Actually it currently is.
Even if we get 25-50% refund of principal in the 1st month itself, its a win for me.
Can wait for couple more months for full withdrawal but these Mobikwik folks not giving any info is making everyone shit scared and extremely anxious.
They could avoid all the public bashing by just giving some more info about withdrawal, repayment schedule.. What if repayment schedule is stretched to 36 months. Its deadly.

Last edited:
what a disaster!! cred mint has also stopped new investment.. et money has a lockin.. looks like liquiloans is afloat but lendbox is foxy!! 🐼🐼
I had invested in CRED mint. Due to a policy change, their min. amount for investment was increased to ₹2 lakh. They refunded the amount with interest few days back as my investment was less than ₹2 lakh.

And

View attachment 67962View attachment 67964
View attachment 67965View attachment 67966
View attachment 67967View attachment 67968

What can lenders do?

Tweet URL:

I have already filled a complaint with rbi ombudsman beacsue of this.

Last edited:
As per the rule, you should only receive repayments from your borrowers, not the full principal amount.
Yes but that depends on the tenure of the repayment which Mobikwik has not yet shared. Maybe once they tell us that our money will be paid in 3/6/9/12/24/36 month installements, its very dicey.

I had invested in CRED mint. Due to a policy change, their min. amount for investment was increased to ₹2 lakh. They refunded the amount with interest few days back as my investment was less than ₹2 lakh.
yeah.. cred is with liquiloans.. I also withdrew everything with no issues

True. For me, 12th September could be the most important day of my life. Actually it currently is.
Even if we get 25-50% refund of principal in the 1st month itself, its a win for me.
Can wait for couple more months for full withdrawal but these Mobikwik folks not giving any info is making everyone shit scared and extremely anxious.
They could avoid all the public bashing by just giving some more info about withdrawal, repayment schedule.. What if repayment schedule is stretched to 36 months. Its deadly.
You won't lose money.. dont worry... Its just liquidity.. earlier when you withdrew they will give you back money from some other loan repayment which is what rbi has stopped.. u have to get money back from the people you have lent to.. hence the lockin and restrictions.. Only way to lose money is IF the loaner doesn't pay back.. So hang on.. all ir money will be returned.. RBI regulations.. + MOBIKWICK is IPO bound.. this is the last thing they want....

Back