• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

My CIBIL Score Debt is shown as Negative. Does it matter?

D

Deleted member 21631

I have an HDFC Account, where I opted for Overdraft (OD) against FD facility. Unlike most overdraft accounts, HDFC didn't created a separate account, but added the overdraft limit as balance in my regular account, and from there, I can use it without any problem for any payment (also helps maintain MAB, even if actual bank balance is ₹0)

I primarily opened HDFC account for credit card and bank employee said that getting OD against FD will help me get a credit card soon (probably for generating my cibil score).

Today, my CIBIL score got generated with 744 score and my credit utilization is 0%. But the problem is, my debt is showing Rs -2,05,741 (yes, in negative). Probably, since I had this extra money in my bank account when HDFC reported to Credit bureaus.

This technically means, I have extra money in my loan account and the Bank owes me money instead of me owing to the Bank😂

So, my questions are-

1. Will this negative debt that has been reported to credit bureau, impact my credit report badly?

2. Is this safe? Should i report to Cibil or hdfc bank?

3. Is my CIBIL score bad, since its 744, in CIBIL app, its showing as 2nd bottom on credit score ranking? Can anyone tell me what their score was when it was generated for the first time?

4. Will this overdraft facility affect me in getting a pre-approved Credit card from the bank, as its a loan. Currently, i am maintaining 4.3L in this account.

5. If I can get a pre-approved credit card, should i keep this overdraft facility on?

Please answer them and thank you for reading it :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025-043132~2.png
    Screenshot_20231025-043132~2.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:
The main objective of a credit facility is to use it. Keeping a negative balance is not always good. You have to select credit products which you can use.

If you just took OD against FD for developing a CIBIL Score, just take a Credit Card against that FD instead.

Try to keep your utilisation between 1-9% of your credit limit. Keeping it 0 might not help much with your credit score.

I have an HDFC Account, where I opted for Overdraft (OD) against FD facility. Unlike most overdraft accounts, HDFC didn't created a separate account, but added the overdraft limit as balance in my regular account, and from there, I can use it without any problem for any payment (also helps maintain MAB, even if actual bank balance is ₹0)

I primarily opened HDFC account for credit card and bank employee said that getting OD against FD will help me get a credit card soon (probably for generating my cibil score).

Today, my CIBIL score got generated with 744 score and my credit utilization is 0%. But the problem is, my debt is showing Rs -2,05,741 (yes, in negative). Probably, since I had this extra money in my bank account when HDFC reported to Credit bureaus.

This technically means, I have extra money in my loan account and the Bank owes me money instead of me owing to the Bank😂

So, my questions are-

1. Will this negative debt that has been reported to credit bureau, impact my credit report badly?

2. Is this safe? Should i report to Cibil or hdfc bank?

3. Is my CIBIL score bad, since its 744, in CIBIL app, its showing as 2nd bottom on credit score ranking? Can anyone tell me what their score was when it was generated for the first time?

4. Will this overdraft facility affect me in getting a pre-approved Credit card from the bank, as its a loan. Currently, i am maintaining 4.3L in this account.

5. If I can get a pre-approved credit card, should i keep this overdraft facility on?

Please answer them and thank you for reading it :)
1. No
2. Safe
3. Not bad but fine as it's new. Shouldn't be <730
4. Yes
5. As you wish, it's better than PLs, isn't it?

Why did you go for OD? The thing is you just could've opened a HDFC savings bank account (preferable higher amb) and made some transactions here and there using their debit card and UPI regularly and mostly after 6-9 months you would've got a Pre-approved credit card offer in your netbanking.

I got my first unsecured card without any CIBIL score from HDFC Bank like that.

HDFC Throwing away Pre-approved cards left, right and center.

The main objective of a credit facility is to use it. Keeping a negative balance is not always good. You have to select credit products which you can use.

If you just took OD against FD for developing a CIBIL Score, just take a Credit Card against that FD instead.

Try to keep your utilisation between 1-9% of your credit limit. Keeping it 0 might not help much with your credit score.
Even though it is reported as negative balance and 0% limit used. Actual payment amount is listed there, which I think means, there has been activity on this account? (Not sure, please confirm).

The actual payment amount is listed as my total debit amount of my bank account. I have listed as a screenshot below

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025-104913~2.png
    Screenshot_20231025-104913~2.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 15
1. No
2. Safe
3. Not bad but fine as it's new. Shouldn't be <730
4. Yes
5. As you wish, it's better than PLs, isn't it?
4. I have been receiving credit card messages, just not pre-approved yet. My account is 1.5 month old. Also, i will soon be upgraded to preferred banking if that helps? Will it be good enough for CC?

5. It is reported in credit report as overdraft and not personal loan and have no charges keeping it on (unless i use its fund). So, idk if its better or not. I am new to credit score :(

4. I have been receiving credit card messages, just not pre-approved yet. My account is 1.5 month old. Also, i will soon be upgraded to preferred banking if that helps? Will it be good enough for CC?

5. It is reported in credit report as overdraft and not personal loan and have no charges keeping it on (unless i use its fund). So, idk if its better or not. I am new to credit score :(
You're getting general promotions.

You need to wait 6-9 months for a great card offer like Millennia with above 1L limit.

At first they'll give you shit offer, don't accept that.

All you need is patience now.

Till then keep using HDFC DC everywhere.

Why did you go for OD? The thing is you just could've opened a HDFC savings bank account (preferable higher amb) and made some transactions here and there using their debit card and UPI regularly and mostly after 6-9 months you would've got a Pre-approved credit card offer in your netbanking.
I initially wanted to go for secured one. But thought, by maintain good bank balance, i would get unsecured credit card.

Bank employee said, activating OD against FD will help me get it faster (idk if it was bs or not). So, i probably think, he meant to generate credit score?

Also, my account is around 1.5 month old and I am getting hdfc credit card messages to apply for, just not pre-approved. Also, i will soon be upgraded to preferred banking.

Will it be good enough? I am quite new to this, so I don't know if it make sense to continue using this?

You're getting general promotions.

You need to wait 6-9 months for a great card offer like Millennia with above 1L limit.

At first they'll give you shit offer, don't accept that.

All you need is patience now.

Till then keep using HDFC DC everywhere.
Thank you. I will keep patience and try to use DC whenever I can. Also, will 4L bank balance help me get good cards faster? Or will I start with moneyback with low limits?

Thank you. I will keep patience and try to use DC whenever I can. Also, will 4L bank balance help me get good cards faster? Or will I start with moneyback with low limits?
If you're maintaining that much amount.

Your offer will easily start with 1L above but being said that skip that & wait. You should get atleast 2-2.5L limit card with that much amount maintained.

Have set your goal 😃✌️.

I initially wanted to go for secured one. But thought, by maintain good bank balance, i would get unsecured credit card.

Bank employee said, activating OD against FD will help me get it faster (idk if it was bs or not). So, i probably think, he meant to generate credit score?

Also, my account is around 1.5 month old and I am getting hdfc credit card messages to apply for, just not pre-approved. Also, i will soon be upgraded to preferred banking.

Will it be good enough? I am quite new to this, so I don't know if it make sense to continue using this?
Bank employee just cross selled/mis-selled you as usual. NEVER ever trust a private bank employee. They are just glorified salesmen especially your RM.
Just trust the system.

You will get good offers sooner or later.
Hope you get the card you want.

Even though it is reported as negative balance and 0% limit used. Actual payment amount is listed there, which I think means, there has been activity on this account? (Not sure, please confirm).

The actual payment amount is listed as my total debit amount of my bank account. I have listed as a screenshot below
Is that good enough? I mean, it should not report my credit utilization as dormant, but moving.

@Wealth is my birth right! @RishiKiDev @D₹V @shrewdoc @James

It'll be moving because it's linked to your account.

So nothing to worry.
So, just to clarify, once more...my 0% credit utilization, shouldn't be a problem...right?

(Thank you for answering the question, I am kinda freaking out right now)

Back