• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need Suggestion on Amex Plat Travel Retention Options

Lucifer311

TF Buzz
My Amex Plat Travel is due for renewal next month, called customer care to close the card because I don't want to pay the renewal fee of 5000+GST.
They offered 3 options as below to retain my card account-
  1. They will reduce the fee by 50 %, i need to pay 2500+GST for renew
  2. They will waive the renewal fee after deducting 10000 MR points
  3. I need to spend 1.5L in next 90 days & they will revert the fees i paid along with GST. I will be getting regular rewards & milestone benefit as well on that spend.
The last option I feel is better, but need suggestion from you guys.

Just figure out the maths
1. Simple 2950 loss
2. 3300--4300 loss @33 paisa (Amazon pay 18k) upto 43 Paisa for Marriott
3. 7500 loss @5% like SBI Cashback (assuming you already completed the 4 lakh target

Just figure out the maths
1. Simple 2950 loss
2. 3300--4300 loss @33 paisa (Amazon pay 18k) upto 43 Paisa for Marriott
3. 7500 loss @5% like SBI Cashback (assuming you already completed the 4 lakh target
About the 3rd option, if the spends are from the renewal date, won't that be counted in next year's 4L milestone?

Now the Virgin Atlantic return flight needs 30000 miles (60k Amex points) + £329 extra (Rs 35500), which makes it completely unviable.
Because you can get return flights with one stop for 56500

So you will be forced to redeem your points only for Marriott hotels when you get the 30% bonus offer October to December

Last edited:
My Amex Plat Travel is due for renewal next month, called customer care to close the card because I don't want to pay the renewal fee of 5000+GST.
  3. I need to spend 1.5L in next 90 days & they will revert the fees i paid along with GST. I will be getting regular rewards & milestone benefit as well on that spend.
If you can spend 1.5L in 90 days, and considering these are not manufactured spends then this is a no brainer.

3 is best
Add 40k more on spends so that u can hit first milestone of 1.9l easily

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will plan the expenses only after the card renewal date, so that i can get the milestone benefits for the next year as well, since this year I have already completed all the milestones.
But one query, do i need to call CC again after spedning of 1.50L to get the fee refunded, or it is automatic?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will plan the expenses only after the card renewal date, so that i can get the milestone benefits for the next year as well, since this year I have already completed all the milestones.
But one query, do i need to call CC again after spedning of 1.50L to get the fee refunded, or it is automatic?
Better phone them and make sure

What about option 4 - close the card and get it after 3-4 months again when referral offer is on?? (considering you already have another Amex/MRCC)?

My card will be up for renewal in Sep too! Spends till now 2 Lakhs. I have found it difficult to use Amex at places where I wanted to do big purchases (govt payments on Postal Life website, once on jwellary shop, and for other venues like online, i found other card to be more beneficial). I dont have much idea on MS on Amex, without getting into any troubles).
Any suggestion?

for option 2 i was offered fee waiver for 5000 MR points which i took..

What about option 4 - close the card and get it after 3-4 months again when referral offer is on?? (considering you already have another Amex/MRCC)?

My card will be up for renewal in Sep too! Spends till now 2 Lakhs. I have found it difficult to use Amex at places where I wanted to do big purchases (govt payments on Postal Life website, once on jwellary shop, and for other venues like online, i found other card to be more beneficial). I dont have much idea on MS on Amex, without getting into any troubles).
Any suggestion?
Mobikwik wallet by AmEx pure legal
Rewards reduce a bit post charges

Reactions: R@J
Can you please explain, how were you able to bargain that with only 5000 points?
kept telling them that i dont want to renew.. then they saw that i have only 5000 MR points balance in my account so then they said as an exception we can waive ur fees for 5000 MR points which i gladly accepted.. you have to play hard ball with them..

what were your spends in this annum?

but what if the user is not able to reach the spend targets due to whatever reasons (pretty possible)..... in that case, he/she will be charged full 5000+GST, right?

Back