• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need Suggestion on Amex Plat Travel Retention Options

Lucifer311

TF Buzz
My Amex Plat Travel is due for renewal next month, called customer care to close the card because I don't want to pay the renewal fee of 5000+GST.
They offered 3 options as below to retain my card account-
  1. They will reduce the fee by 50 %, i need to pay 2500+GST for renew
  2. They will waive the renewal fee after deducting 10000 MR points
  3. I need to spend 1.5L in next 90 days & they will revert the fees i paid along with GST. I will be getting regular rewards & milestone benefit as well on that spend.
The last option I feel is better, but need suggestion from you guys.

but what if the user is not able to reach the spend targets due to whatever reasons (pretty possible)..... in that case, he/she will be charged full 5000+GST, right?
Obviously...if you have doubt about your spending, then option 1 seems to be better as in that case, you are actually getting 10k point for Rs,2950..which is profit of Rs. 350 (if you convert 10K point into amazon GV) or Rs. 2050 If you buy Taj voucher or Marriot RP ( I consider the net value for Marriot as 0.5 as in actual booking it is very difficult to get good value)

Last edited:
Reactions: R@J
Obviously...if you have doubt about your spending, then option 1 seems to better as in that case, you are actually getting 10k point for Rs,2950..which is profit of Rs. 350 (if you convert 10K point into amazon GV) or Rs. 2050 If you buy Taj voucher or Marriot RP ( I consider the net value for Marriot as 0.5 as in actual booking it is very difficult to get good value)
Think this way, if you do not give rs. 2950, then the option left is to give 10K point

Last edited:
My Amex Plat Travel is due for renewal next month, called customer care to close the card because I don't want to pay the renewal fee of 5000+GST.
  3. I need to spend 1.5L in next 90 days & they will revert the fees i paid along with GST. I will be getting regular rewards & milestone benefit as well on that spend.
Keep it simple.

Just do not spend 1.5L if you dont see those as planned expenses. :), just go ahead and close the card, this way you will not be making any unnecessary expenses. We must always remember that banks will always lure us in traps which make us spend more :hehe:
If you have planned expenses for 1.5L in coming 90 days then this option is a no brainer just go for it.

That is what I have asked in many posts...but nobody gave answers till now...as I have no idea about this wallet load complications
Wallet loads are counted... Amex gives reward points too.

But wallets that can be loaded via Amex are limited.., In fact I can remember only one wallet - Mobilwik which charges around 3% to load

Wallet loads are counted... Amex gives reward points too.

But wallets that can be loaded via Amex are limited.., In fact I can remember only one wallet - Mobilwik which charges around 3% to load
How much we can load in a month safely without any negative effect or action from amex or mibiquik? any idea of limit of use?

You can go for 3rd option. If you have no plan of spends then go for 50% and you still will be eligible for same milestone.

It
Understood! Will see if I have some large spends upcoming in family....
btw, for wallet reload and bank trf, is there an upper limit?
Depends on wallet normally mobikwik allows you to load several times with a charge of 2.6% and you can trf to bank account without chgs. Basically he has taken both side of chgs that is all.

They offered me another option apart from all these. Bonus 10k points if I pay the card fees. I found that profitable for Marriott points and chose that.

The points were credited immediately into my account (like after 2 seconds) and I paid the fees shortly after.

I have HDFC Marriott LTF, and it keeps renewing with 15k points every year. So these points will be handy then.

I later realised, regarding the first option. Were they offering 50% reduction in fees just for this year or for all subsequent years? If it’s the latter then that would’ve been much more appealing offer to choose.

I later realised, regarding the first option. Were they offering 50% reduction in fees just for this year or for all subsequent years? If it’s the latter then that would’ve been much more appealing offer to choose.
all these offers (they say exception based offers) are for this specific year only....

Guys, my renewal for amex is due soon as well.

If i chose option 1, with 50% fee only, do they offer any points against this?

For instance, they are offering 10k points against full fees, so do they offer 5k points against 50% fees?

Back