• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Request for Guidance on Cards to Choose + Rejection Story

Sisyphus

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Hi All,

New member of the community, appreciate all the insights & discussions shared to date! Would love some guidance from the community tailored to my situation.

My monthly Credit Card expenses are ~ INR 1L (Averaged over a trailing 12-month period): Online Shopping (mainly Amazon) + Groceries + Takeouts/Restaurants make up for most of those expenses. Travel is mostly for business which is automatically taken care of by my company's travel desk.

Current Credit Cards:
- HDFC: Times Titanium (LTF) - My first Credit Card - Holding it for 8+ years (Oldest credit line) - Limit: 3.3L
- HDFC: Diners Black (LTF) - Limit: 3.9L
- ICICI Corporate Card - Limit: 2L

Credit Score: CRIF 811, Experian 899, CIBIL 800+

My only open loan is Home Loan from HDFC (Full EMI from Day 1), 100% on-time payments across products for the last 8+ years

Request guidance from the community on two fronts.

1. I Applied for an Amazon Pay ICICI LTF card last week and it was rejected yesterday to my biggest surprise (I continue to have a banking relationship with ICICI for several years, including my salary account with them throughout the last 10+ years). My RM took an internal screenshot where the reason for rejection was listed as 'Highly Leveraged'. I escalated it to customer care, through my RM, Amazon and ICICI bank helpline - Dead end everywhere. What could I have done better here?

2. What other Credit Cards should I have in my portfolio? I see a lot of offers coming in for SBI Cards as well, so would like one of the SBI Cards that would suit my profile. Which one should it be? Any other Cards that I should apply for?

Your guidance will be immensely helpful!

Thanks!

Hi All,

New member of the community, appreciate all the insights & discussions shared to date! Would love some guidance from the community tailored to my situation.

My monthly Credit Card expenses are ~ INR 1L (Averaged over a trailing 12-month period): Online Shopping (mainly Amazon) + Groceries + Takeouts/Restaurants make up for most of those expenses. Travel is mostly for business which is automatically taken care of by my company's travel desk.

Current Credit Cards:
- HDFC: Times Titanium (LTF) - My first Credit Card - Holding it for 8+ years (Oldest credit line) - Limit: 3.3L

My only open loan is Home Loan from HDFC (Full EMI from Day 1), 100% on-time payments across products for the last 8+ years

1. I Applied for an Amazon Pay ICICI LTF card last week and it was rejected yesterday to my biggest surprise (I continue to have a banking relationship with ICICI for several years, including my salary account with them throughout the last 10+ years). My RM took an internal screenshot where the reason for rejection was listed as 'Highly Leveraged'. I escalated it to customer care, through my RM, Amazon and ICICI bank helpline - Dead end everywhere. What could I have done better here?

2. What other Credit Cards should I have in my portfolio? I see a lot of offers coming in for SBI Cards as well, so would like one of the SBI Cards that would suit my profile. Which one should it be? Any other Cards that I should apply for?

Thanks!
About Amazon ICICI card, it's all on luck (milna hoga to mil jaega, nahi milna hoga to na hi milega).

Try again after 6 months if you need it.

For Amazon spends, you can easily buy Amazon Shopping Voucher from Gyftr smartbuy using DCB at good discount I believe.

You should look for premium credit cards now 😅 instead of cashback credit cards.

Hi All,

Current Credit Cards:

Thanks!

1. Do you have any offers on your ICICI Account? You can check that on NB or iMobile App. Considering your relationship with ICICI, you should at least have Coral LTF offer. If not, push your RM to get you one. (Since you have an RM, then I am assuming you have Privilege Banking with ICICI) Then once you have existing "Personal" CC with ICICI. Getting APay becomes comparatively easy.

2. With these much spends, why not look for American Express or something? Also, what are your goals with these cards, I mean, why do you want more Credit Cards, based on that, people here will be able to recommend better. (Or if you are like me, apply for all the LTF Cards. 🤪)

About Amazon ICICI card, it's all on luck (milna hoga to mil jaega, nahi milna hoga to na hi milega).

Try again after 6 months if you need it.

For Amazon spends, you can easily buy Amazon Shopping Voucher from Gyftr smartbuy using DCB at good discount I believe.

You should look for premium credit cards now 😅 instead of cashback credit cards.
Didn't realise Amazon Pay ICICI was such a hit and a miss. I thought it was a sure shot for me.

What premium credit cards would you suggest I should be trying for?

You must be maintained a good chunk of money that time 🤣.

It's not like HDFC who gives card to everyone.
I don't think so. But then I don't really remember the exact relationship with ICICI that time. Maybe they changed their policies now. Not sure. People who have recently got LTF from ICICI can comment better then.

1. Do you have any offers on your ICICI Account? You can check that on NB or iMobile App. Considering your relationship with ICICI, you should at least have Coral LTF offer. If not, push your RM to get you one. (Since you have an RM, then I am assuming you have Privilege Banking with ICICI) Then once you have existing "Personal" CC with ICICI. Getting APay becomes comparatively easy.

2. With these much spends, why not look for American Express or something? Also, what are your goals with these cards, I mean, why do you want more Credit Cards, based on that, people here will be able to recommend better. (Or if you are like me, apply for all the LTF Cards. 🤪)
1. I got a LTF Sapphiro free from ICICI about 2 years back, I got the card issued but closed it as I was not leveraging it properly back then

2. Wasn't thinking of any other credit cards much when Diners Black was proper 10x, but that hasn't been the case for over 1+ year now, almost completely decimated. My goals are two-fold (1) Maximise reward (points / cashback) as much as possible for my normal purchases (2) Be prepared for any new CC offers focused on different banking entities (HDFC was ruling the roost during a season, then ICICI, now SBI , IDFC first etc) - So in a way I might join your quest of getting as many good variety of LTF cards as possible

1. I got a LTF Sapphiro free from ICICI about 2 years back, I got the card issued but closed it as I was not leveraging it properly back then

2. Wasn't thinking of any other credit cards much when Diners Black was proper 10x, but that hasn't been the case for over 1+ year now, almost completely decimated. My goals are two-fold (1) Maximise reward (points / cashback) as much as possible for my normal purchases (2) Be prepared for any new CC offers focused on different banking entities (HDFC was ruling the roost during a season, then ICICI, now SBI , IDFC first etc) - So in a way I might join your quest of getting as many good variety of LTF cards as possible
In terms of Rewards, I prefer to use AmEx Plat Travel to hit the 4L spend threshold to get that sweet sweet voucher. Then switch to other cards.
But then you have HDFC DCB. I don't think anything else can beat that. Maybe Axis Magnus. But I don't hold that, others here can help.

However, I would suggest if you can, try getting that Sapphiro back, since it's LTF. So, no harm, and since you wanted APay, it will help in that process. In my case, I just applied online on Amazon, entered OTP by ICICI and the card was issued instantly.

Back