• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

RuPay Transactions Failure Rate is High?

SmartSave

TF Premier
I recently switched my Tata Neu Infinity Card from Visa to RuPay a few weeks ago and added it to CRED, PayZapp, PayTM, and GPay.

I attempted to make payments using the UPI QR code of the merchant (CRED/PayZapp), but encountered failures. Despite multiple attempts, the scanner method continued to fail. Subsequently, I tried the tap to pay feature at two different locations in the city, but it also proved unsuccessful (Different days). Ultimately, I resorted to swiping the card, which worked. It's worth noting that Tap to Pay and online/PoS payments were both enabled. Initially, I dismissed these issues, thinking they might have been isolated incidents.

Later, I attempted to use ICICI's Coral RuPay card for an online transaction. However, on the OTP page, after receiving the OTP, the page malfunctioned, leading to a dropped transaction. I had to use another Visa card for the payment.

Today, I made another attempt to pay via UPI (CRED) payment to a merchant, using my default Tata Neu card. Once again, it failed, citing that the card/network was down. Consequently, I had to use bank's UPI for the transaction.

After these experiences, it's apparent that the RuPay network may not be as refined as it could be. This isn't an isolated incident; rather, it appears to be a recurring issue with the network itself, rather than the individual banks. I've rarely encountered such difficulties with Visa or Mastercard.

While I intend to persist and hope for improvements over time, I must admit that the current experience has been somewhat disappointing and even embarrassing, given the instances of declined card payments and the resulting inconvenience.

What you think could be wrong?

P.S. I've tried again another day and it worked, so it's hit or a miss. Not a persistent problem.

Below is the feedback from HDFC.. One tip, try to pay 2000 to your unsuccessful merchant and then thank to me..

We have liased with the concerned department for investigation and we wish to inform you that transaction mentioned in your email falls under restricted merchant category on which you won’t be able to make payment using HDFC Bank RuPay Credit Card on UPI.

We request you to visit below link for further assistance.

https://www.hdfcbank.com/personal/rupay-cc-on-upi

Das.N

TF Ace
Yes, Rupay card's upi transaction failure rate is very high. Can't say anything about Tata neu infinity but I have Coral Rupay And I have faced some issues like you did. Credit card upi is implemented recently and not refined like bank account upi and it will take more time to fix the bugs. And in some cases merchants also turn of the option to receive payment from Card upi because they don't want to bear the MDR(which is zero under 2000 transactions). That's another reason for some failed transactions.

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I recently switched my Tata Neu Infinity Card from Visa to RuPay a few weeks ago and added it to CRED, PayZapp, PayTM, and GPay.

I attempted to make payments using the UPI QR code of the merchant (CRED/PayZapp), but encountered failures. Despite multiple attempts, the scanner method continued to fail. Subsequently, I tried the tap to pay feature at two different locations in the city, but it also proved unsuccessful (Different days). Ultimately, I resorted to swiping the card, which worked. It's worth noting that Tap to Pay and online/PoS payments were both enabled. Initially, I dismissed these issues, thinking they might have been isolated incidents.

Later, I attempted to use ICICI's Coral RuPay card for an online transaction. However, on the OTP page, after receiving the OTP, the page malfunctioned, leading to a dropped transaction. I had to use another Visa card for the payment.

Today, I made another attempt to pay via UPI (CRED) payment to a merchant, using my default Tata Neu card. Once again, it failed, citing that the card/network was down. Consequently, I had to use bank's UPI for the transaction.

After these experiences, it's apparent that the RuPay network may not be as refined as it could be. This isn't an isolated incident; rather, it appears to be a recurring issue with the network itself, rather than the individual banks. I've rarely encountered such difficulties with Visa or Mastercard.

While I intend to persist and hope for improvements over time, I must admit that the current experience has been somewhat disappointing and even embarrassing, given the instances of declined card payments and the resulting inconvenience.

P.S. I've tried again another day and it worked, so it's hit or a miss. Not a persistent problem.
Unfortunately, this is happening due to some merchants disabling CC on Rupay UPI payments.

In my experience of using Kiwi over last 2 months, only 4 out of nearly 150 transactions may have failed.

I also haven't faced any issue using the HDFC Virtual rupay card anytime ✌️

SmartSave

TF Premier
Interesting. So I'm not the only one facing this. I'm glad....lol

But I hope RuPay team is monitoring these concerns and working on it.
And in some cases merchants also turn of the option to receive payment from Card upi because they don't want to bear the MDR(which is zero under 2000 transactions).
Why would RuPay or PoS machines even let them disable? That's very counterproductive. Should be enabled for at least up to 2k by default.
One tip, try to pay 2000 to your unsuccessful merchant and then thank to me..

Can you elaborate?

Most of my payments that I tried recently were sub 2k. Are you suggesting me to pay exactly or over 2k for some reason? How would that help?

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer

RuPay CC link UPI - Yes very high failure rate, i already mentioned my many post/comments. I already told wait upto 2 years.

RuPay credit card transaction for ecom and pos - No. Card transactions working perfectly, same like Visa/mastercard transaction.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer

paresh22

TF Ace
I got a SMS that my payment failed because I've disabled international online payments, even though merchant is local. After enabling, it is working for now.

Screenshot_20230911-132543_Messages.png
Yesterday while paying to local vegetable seller I got this same message. I was totally confused howcome it said international transaction. I paid using Coral Rupay on paytm app to paytm QR code. But then Neu Infinity card also failed to pay to that QR Code with transaction error "Please try again in sometime".
I then paid using bank account upi.

rajcasio

TF Premier
Instead of arguing with unknown merchants after a failed transaction, stop using UPI CC payment and start using UPI LITE(success rate is always better than normal UPI transaction). Limit your usage of RUPAY CC to POS/online only till the dust(failure issues) settles down

Das.N

TF Ace
Instead of arguing with unknown merchants after a failed transaction, stop using UPI CC payment and start using UPI LITE(success rate is always better than normal UPI transaction). Limit your usage of RUPAY CC to POS/online only till the dust(failure issues) settles down
Yes, I will do this from now. No cards upi payments till all bugs solved

Last edited:
Interesting. So I'm not the only one facing this. I'm glad....lol

But I hope RuPay team is monitoring these concerns and working on it.

Why would RuPay or PoS machines even let them disable? That's very counterproductive. Should be enabled for at least up to 2k by default.

Can you elaborate?

Most of my payments that I tried recently were sub 2k. Are you suggesting me to pay exactly or over 2k for some reason? How would that help?
Yes break your 10000 payment in 5 X 2000
2000 is limit as mentioned in other post. Merchant internally disabled more than 2000 INR payment from Rupay CC.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
My card transaction failed on imobile app using coral rupay upi dated 26th August but they have not refunded yet. Saying wait for 30 days. Today statement has been generated, what should I do? Amount ₹15000
@Abhishek012
You need to pay ₹15000, also imobile is not live yet for cc link UPI. Use paytm upi or cred upi.

If you had done the chargeback before the bill was generated, the bank would have given you a temporary credit but now its impossbile but still you can apply for chargeback and pay your current bill.

Note - Chargeback customer support team and normal customer support team are different. You need to force them to apply for chargeback or transfer your call to Chargeback customer support team but you also need to wait atleast 5-7 working days before apply for chargeback.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
But why was it released if it is so buggy? Are we the beta users? Pre-mature release.

Anyway, I'll stick to using other cards or Bank UPI for now.
Yes, we are the beta users.

ICICI is not officially announced for RuPay CC link UPI yet.

You cannot test the system properly without releasing it, another thing is that other bank RuPay cc link UPI working perfectly, only 10% users face this problem but ICICI RuPay CC link UPI. Almost everyone face this refund problem.