• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Salary in saving account

Nishan11

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Hi, I work as state government official in Chhattisgarh. Due to unofficial rule, we all have to open account on particular PSU bank.

I already had that account as savings account from several years & never changed it to salary account. Still salary is being credited to this saving account only.

Salary is 98K/Month. Will there be any issue in long run?

I just don't want lots of bank accounts. I have saving account with SBI, Bank Of Baroda & HDFC.

Nishan11

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
That's okay, if you change into a salary account - they would happily provide you some extra benefits
Try reading about those plans and see if you need them
Otherwise you're all good
I can't switch to private banks so that nullifies any good perks.

My PSU bank can't give any extraordinary perks if converted to salary other than better debit card.

AritraSaha

TF Legend
Hi, I work as state government official in Chhattisgarh. Due to unofficial rule, we all have to open account on particular PSU bank.

I already had that account as savings account from several years & never changed it to salary account. Still salary is being credited to this saving account only.

I just don't want lots of bank accounts. I have saving account with SBI, Bank Of Baroda & HDFC.
If you change it to salary account they will give you free debit card & bank transfer will be free.. also maybe some other peaks, depend on the bank..

saucy

TF Ace
I can't switch to private banks so that nullifies any good perks.

My PSU bank can't give any extraordinary perks if converted to salary other than better debit card.
I wonder what "extraordinary" benefits do private banks provide.

You've not mentioned your psu - if it's BoB - there are some good perks like free txns on debit card & rtgs etc. Check the product page.

And the select debit card is pretty good. People here are opening a psu account specifically for that (and paying for the card, including me - paid 1.2k for that card)
Make what you'd want to, out of that 🤷

Nishan11

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I wonder what "extraordinary" benefits do private banks provide.

You've not mentioned your psu - if it's BoB - there are some good perks like free txns on debit card & rtgs etc. Check the product page.

And the select debit card is pretty good. People here are opening a psu account specifically for that (and paying for the card, including me - paid 1.2k for that card)
Make what you'd want to, out of that 🤷
Extraordinary benefit from private bank means getting good high end credit card on basis of salary & maintain long term banking relation.

I have HDFC platinum debit card & BOB rupay select which is more than enough for me.

I am more into credit cards now.

deep@vie

TF Legend

Discuss with some knowledgeable accounts person,there is a list of banks with which you can open a salary account,even with pvt ones or can ask the bank if your organisation allows to do e.g. ask HDFC as you already have an account with them.

Nishan11

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Discuss with some knowledgeable accounts person,there is a list of banks with which you can open a salary account,even with pvt ones or can ask the bank if your organisation allows to do e.g. ask HDFC as you already have an account with them.
As I said it's unofficial order of my state govt organization to have account with particular psu bank only.

No other psu/private bank. That's why unable to change hdfc savings to salary.

So I assume things are good as it is, unless in future, my organization allow us to switch bank.

deep@vie

TF Legend
As I said it's unofficial order of my state govt organization to have account with particular psu bank only.

No other psu/private bank. That's why unable to change hdfc savings to salary.

So I assume things are good as it is, unless in future, my organization allow us to switch bank.
In that case,hope for new CM to have some sense & undo this ridiculous order.

saucy

TF Ace
Extraordinary benefit from private bank means getting good high end credit card on basis of salary & maintain long term banking relation.

I have HDFC platinum debit card & BOB rupay select which is more than enough for me.

I am more into credit cards now.
90% of my credit cards are from banks where I don't have a salary account.

Salary account is not a necessity for 💳

Point being you can still get all that - and that, a good credit card isn't generally considered "extraordinary service".

kjs

TF Premier
I have sal account with HDFC and its Preferred variant based on salary credit, frankly speaking got Regalia Gold LTF , nothing much fancy ,App is also very much ok.U Will get a Sales Person / RM at the end nothing much. I dont expect also that with a salary account I will get something fancy or something at discounted rate. This all looks good on Paper/website UI only. HDFC CC is Pathetic also RM asks to Visit banks for silly things.

Had Axis Priority closed due to Irritating RM.

Transferred salary to ICICI , they denied opening family person account at 0 balance even their website tells that I can open Companion account at 0 balance, they are asking me Screenshot silly people who is working in the bank me or them. Closed sal account

Atleast PSU banks will provide you basic banking services decently with Sal accounts + advantage of more Branches just in case reqd these privates dont pay much heed unless you buy smtng from them.