• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI denying fee waiver after retention offer [Help Needed]

shivamk

TF Premier
Hi TFians

I had placed closure request on 8th April against my Pulse card before statement generation. Retention team called me on 15th April and offered annual fee waiver and asked to call back after statement generation on 19th April.

After statement generation I called on customer card many times and every agent declined it. Finally asked them to connect with retention team. Retention team created a request on 23rd April and asked to wait for 3 days.

Got a message today that waiver can't be provided. Called customer care and they simply blocked the card. Even called on Nodal helpline but they are not ready to help.

Any senior SBI officials here who can help me in this regard please? I don't use this card and was ready to close it had the retention team not promised a fee waiver. I don't want to pay for this since I won't be able to recover the fees ever. I am afraid if I don't pay by due date on 10th May, they will report it to CIBIL and screw my score.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hi TFians

I had placed closure request on 8th April against my Pulse card before statement generation. Retention team called me on 15th April and offered annual fee waiver and asked to call back after statement generation on 19th April.

After statement generation I called on customer card many times and every agent declined it. Finally asked them to connect with retention team. Retention team created a request on 23rd April and asked to wait for 3 days.

Got a message today that waiver can't be provided. Called customer care and they simply blocked the card. Even called on Nodal helpline but they are not ready to help.

Any senior SBI officials here who can help me in this regard please? I don't use this card and was ready to close it had the retention team not promised a fee waiver. I don't want to pay for this since I won't be able to recover the fees ever. I am afraid if I don't pay by due date on 10th May, they will report it to CIBIL and screw my score.

First & foremost pay the due by due date .
If fees reversal take time .

Do multiple complaint.

Via greevance escalation

Tag them on X . Saying that u have audio recording of the promise from retention team and since call was on recorded line ( they can't go back on promise) because it's not the person but u talking to sbi technically.

Just wait for 30 days of unsolved issue .
Strike them with RBI complaint..
It's a long journey.keep playing .

Don't panic

Hi TFians

Did you try this?

In the app, Go to services > Card Closure Request > Select Card and Reason 'Other Fees & Charges' > Skip > Annual Fee Waiver

unnamed (1).png unnamed.png

shivamk

TF Premier
Saying that u have audio recording of the promise from retention team and since call was on recorded line ( they can't go back on promise) because it's not the person but u talking to sbi technically.
But sir I don't have the call recording. SBI must be having it since it was on recorded line but I doubt there's any way I can ask them to pull it out and verify for themselves.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
But sir I don't have the call recording. SBI must be having it since it was on recorded line but I doubt there's any way I can ask them to pull it out and verify for themselves.
You have to play game

Unless you go to rbi ombudsman they won't be Askin recording.

& on ombudsman u can say it was on recorded line sbi should provide the recording.
😃
Play with the law

@RAMESH BABU N sir I read somewhere on TF that you are working/have worked as a senior SBI official. Can you please help/guide me?

Not much can be done.

Why the current generation does not put it in writing ? A simple mail would have done the job - without any loss.

In the absense of any written proof or audio recordings or video proof, even RBI BO may not be willing to help.

I suggest, you PAY before the due date. And, immediately send a detailed email. And, ask them to CLOSE the card immediately AND REFUND THE AMOUNT PAID.

Do not forget to give your bank account details to get refund.

shivamk

TF Premier
Did you try this?

In the app, Go to services > Card Closure Request > Select Card and Reason 'Other Fees & Charges' > Skip > Annual Fee Waiver

unnamed (1).png unnamed.png
Yes, don't see a fee waiver option
Resolution might take time. Do pay the TAD by Due Date so as to not compound the problem even further including damaging your CIBIL.

For resolution, escalate on email instead of calling so you'll have proof. This is their email address: customercare@sbicard.com
Ok, thanks
You have to play game

Unless you go to rbi ombudsman they won't be Askin recording.

& on ombudsman u can say it was on recorded line sbi should provide the recording.
😃
Play with the law
Ok sir, drafting a mail now

shivamk

TF Premier
Not much can be done.

Why the current generation does not put it in writing ? A simple mail would have done the job - without any loss.

In the absense of any written proof or audio recordings or video proof, even RBI BO may not be willing to help.

I suggest, you PAY before the due date. And, immediately send a detailed email. And, ask them to CLOSE the card immediately AND REFUND THE AMOUNT PAID.

Do not forget to give your bank account details to get refund.
Ok sir, will do.

anonymuos

TF Ace
Promising something on call and then completely denying they said anything like that is SBI CARD SPECIALTY. They're a company with little to no ethics.. to fight them, we have to get everything in writing and even then in case of offer Terms and conditions, they will come up with excuses or some very small technicality to not give you rewards. Many times they modify/edit the offer terms and conditions retroactively to include new clauses that haven't been mentioned previously. As for reward points erroneously given, we all know how they forfeit not only points but actual money from the card if there aren't enough points and often their calculations have been proven to be incorrect. SBI Cards deserves a top-to-bottom audit and scrutiny from RBI. Some day they're gonna get it.

shivamk

TF Premier
Promising something on call and then completely denying they said anything like that is SBI CARD SPECIALTY. They're a company with little to no ethics.. to fight them, we have to get everything in writing and even then in case of offer Terms and conditions, they will come up with excuses or some very small technicality to not give you rewards. Many times they modify/edit the offer terms and conditions retroactively to include new clauses that haven't been mentioned previously. As for reward points erroneously given, we all know how they forfeit not only points but actual money from the card if there aren't enough points and often their calculations have been proven to be incorrect. SBI Cards deserves a top-to-bottom audit and scrutiny from RBI. Some day they're gonna get it.
Yeah they had done something similar with my cashback card where they reverted the cashback for a Flipkart transaction stating that the spend is on educational category.

I was stupid to believe them, should have simply closed the card.

shivamk

TF Premier
Hope you have
1.paid
2.gave details n
3.gave your bank account details.
Sir I haven't paid the pending due for two reasons:

1. In case I am unable to get a fee waiver, I would continue the card and try to cover up the fee as much as possible somehow. Not sure how as of now but maybe I get some chance to cover it in next 10 months and then will close the card.

2. There's around 15 days till due date. I am afraid if I pay now, the customer associate dealing with my case might take the case on a lighter note since they already got the money. Maybe I am unnecessarily speculating but my mind is currently buzzed thinking about a huge Miss from my side to not take a written proof beforehand.

Please guide me in case my thought process is wrong and I should pay fee first and ask for refund instead.

Rkr

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
@Rkr ,seems like a recent trend with SBI cards. They might've finally woken up to stop providing fee waiver to each and everyone.

Even I had to go through something similar just yesterday. However, they didn't even offer me fee waiver and closed the card.
Always go through call if possible...