• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI home loan Fraud by branch

I recently got a SBI home loan (SBI processes home loans using a separate branch that they call racpc)
One person at the branch told me that SBI would charge me ~1800Rs for life insurance to cover my home loan, and I told him that I was fine with it, he then made me sign at around 100+ places (mostly related to builder buyer agreements etc).

Almost 2 months after this, another loan of 1.5lakhs is opened and linked to my savings account, this loan is for life insurance.
The loan is opened and I am charged without intimation/consent.

The SBI branch is not ready to cancel this insurance and asking me to pay 1.5 laksh, is there anything that I can do?
1.5 lakhs is a huge amount for insurance of home loan.

Few points I would like to cover:
NO, buying insurance is not mandatory while taking home loan. However, it is next to impossible to get HL from SBI without taking HL insurance.
There is also a trick using which one can minimize the insurance amount > take the cheapest variant of rinn riksha insurance from SBI Life Insurance and present it in your HL application, they will agree (tried and tested) and take your HL application forward with it.

Now, coming to the point (issue):
You like most of us have signed all papers without doing the proof reading. THIS is a serious big problem with HL applicants. I always recommend to take the application home, read it thoroughly and complete signatures next appointment day (this is your right and no one can stop you with this).

Since, you have signed the papers, there is no forceful way to get your money back.
However, if this is under 15-30 days, SBI life insurance could be returned (look below):

1723223042321.png

This in fact is an option for every/any life insurance policy in India.

However, if you crossed this timeline then I am afraid there is no possible way to get your money back.

Last edited:
1.5 lakhs is a huge amount for insurance of home loan.

Few points I would like to cover:
NO, buying insurance is not mandatory while taking home loan. However, it is next to impossible to get HL from SBI without taking HL insurance.
There is also a trick using which one can minimize the insurance amount > take the cheapest variant of rinn riksha insurance from SBI Life Insurance and present it in your HL application, they will agree (tried and tested) and take your HL application forward with it.

Now, coming to the point (issue):
You like most of us have signed all papers without doing the proof reading. THIS is a serious big problem with HL applicants. I always recommend to take the application home, read it thoroughly and complete signatures next appointment day (this is your right and no one can stop you with this).

Since, you have signed the papers, there is no forceful way to get your money back.
However, if this is under 15-30 days, SBI life insurance could be returned (look below):

View attachment 64470

This in fact is an option for every/any life insurance policy in India.

However, if you crossed this timeline then I am afraid there is no possible way to get your money back.
that is exactly the problem.. we are all guessing.. OP needs to get hold of the docs, go through what he has signed up for and then see what needs to be done..

I was told it is mandatory to take insurance and they gave 55k insurance and split it in 30 years EMI and later on changed the interest rate and screwed up my cibil. NEVER trust SBI

I recently got a SBI home loan (SBI processes home loans using a separate branch that they call racpc)
One person at the branch told me that SBI would charge me ~1800Rs for life insurance to cover my home loan, and I told him that I was fine with it, he then made me sign at around 100+ places (mostly related to builder buyer agreements etc).

Almost 2 months after this, another loan of 1.5lakhs is opened and linked to my savings account, this loan is for life insurance.

The SBI branch is not ready to cancel this insurance and asking me to pay 1.5 laksh, is there anything that I can do?
Although this is not legally compulsoary but they trap us during final days of loan clearance when builder is dancing on our head and we think its just ~1800Rs I will throw it . I faced similar delima where they forced me for insurance while getting loan. Usually in this they force sell some insurance which has payment duration similar to loan duration. Also sometimes they will make agree for lumpsum premium say 1.5Lakh and add that to loan principal and effectively your monthly EMI will increase by ~1800Rs for which you ended up agreeing mistakenly.

But then I did lot of talking around and I figured they have 2 purpose for this. 1) Securing the loan where if you leave this earth soon then your spouse will pay up loan from this insurance (most likely they would have already made spouse as coapplicant). 2.) Achieving branch targets to sell insurance/investment plans.

So I played smart I negotiated that
I will buy a separate Term Plan untill my 60 year of age (with little lesser or more Sum insured than they asked according to my longterm needs of Term Plan)
And it worked. I gave a cheque for 1st premium and got loan sanctioned. I am paying annully 6K annually for a Term insurance of 25L and have a freedom to continuing till I am 60 or leaving anytime.

Although this is not legally compulsoary but they trap us during final days of loan clearance when builder is dancing on our head and we think its just ~1800Rs I will throw it . I faced similar delima where they forced me for insurance while getting loan. Usually in this they force sell some insurance which has payment duration similar to loan duration. Also sometimes they will make agree for lumpsum premium say 1.5Lakh and add that to loan principal and effectively your monthly EMI will increase by ~1800Rs for which you ended up agreeing mistakenly.

But then I did lot of talking around and I figured they have 2 purpose for this. 1) Securing the loan where if you leave this earth soon then your spouse will pay up loan from this insurance (most likely they would have already made spouse as coapplicant). 2.) Achieving branch targets to sell insurance/investment plans.

So I played smart I negotiated that
I will buy a separate Term Plan untill my 60 year of age (with little lesser or more Sum insured than they asked according to my longterm needs of Term Plan)
And it worked. I gave a cheque for 1st premium and got loan sanctioned. I am paying annully 6K annually for a Term insurance of 25L and have a freedom to continuing till I am 60 or leaving anytime.
The insurance is optional. They dont force.

Within free lookup period insurance can be cancelled without any cost (except some minimal fees like processing fee, stamp duty, etc)
Post free lookup period policy surrender is the option but won’t be beneficial as surrender value reduces to almost half of the premium in the 1st month itself.
Here is surrender value table for my insurance from ICICI. Single Premium:1.3L Tenure: 15yrs
IMG_8322.jpeg

Later I got my HL transferred to SBI. During processing I was told that post flat registration insurance team will be calling me to opt for insurance which is not mandatory.

Note: Though I had transferred my HL from ICICI I had kept my insurance active.

Within free lookup period insurance can be cancelled without any cost (except some minimal fees like processing fee, stamp duty, etc)
Post free lookup period policy surrender is the option but won’t be beneficial as surrender value reduces to almost half of the premium in the 1st month itself.
Here is surrender value table for my insurance from ICICI. Single Premium:1.3L Tenure: 15yrs
View attachment 64603

Later I got my HL transferred to SBI. During processing I was told that post flat registration insurance team will be calling me to opt for insurance which is not mandatory.

Note: Though I had transferred my HL from ICICI I had kept my insurance active.
How the home loan insurance is still active when you had closed the home loan?

In SBI, the home loan insurance get closed automatically when the home loan completes. The excess premium paid will be refunded

How the home loan insurance is still active when you had closed the home loan?

In SBI, the home loan insurance get closed automatically when the home loan completes. The excess premium paid will be refunded
Not sure about others but with ICICI it is not mandatory to close your insurance.
While closing HL they were telling that I need to close the insurance also but I showed them the clause where it was written that insurance can be continued even if the HL is getting foreclosed.
After that they accepted for HL closure and loan was closed.

I have SBI Home Loan (Maxgain OD account) from last 15 yrs and they always ask me to get insurance. However I take the Home insurance and term insurance from outside, and share the policy details with RACPC branch of SBI.
SBI every year issue me a policy and then i share my policies details, then they cancel the same. It happened for initial 3-4 yrs then they stopped.

For SBI forceable insurance, you can talk with SBI senior team. Contact of SBI senior member can be found through SBI Quick app.

Don't take it personally but it is a everday story. People just signing things off. :rolleyes: Gullible nature and then rant against banks. Agreeing for insurance and then thinking you pay for it in EMI questions your own awareness. Most people in India are infected with some kind of mental issue where asking help before going for something make them think, they will be perceived as fool if they ask for help. Asking questions is your duty before going for anything. Expecting bankers to tell you every detail is a deficiency on your part.

Don't take it personally but it is a everday story. People just signing things off. :rolleyes: Gullible nature and then rant against banks. Agreeing for insurance and then thinking you pay for it in EMI questions your own awareness. Most people in India are infected with some kind of mental issue where asking help before going for something make them think, they will be perceived as fool if they ask for help. Asking questions is your duty before going for anything. Expecting bankers to tell you every detail is a deficiency on your part.
🔥🔥🔥🔥.. 🔥🔥 on fire

Insurance angels can help.

Search them on YOUTUBE.

Back