• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Suggestion on Purchase of a Cloud Storage

VISION

TF Premier
Contributor
Hello all, I am looking for a cloud storage. only for basic needs, just as backup of family pictures and few doc's. please let me your suggestions.

Beginner-friendly version: Google One 100 GB plan

Cheap in the long run: Your Own NAS if you have high speed internet at home
Google 100 GB plan will cost 2520 per year Vs Microsoft 1 TB plan will cost ~1000.
Take a calculative decision.
For backing up photos, One drive can be used.

(I am both using Google's 100 GB plan as well as M365 for my usage)

Reactions: SSV
Amazon AWS...I have bad experience with one drive..AWS pricing is linked as per usage and not as per fixed commitment like Google and Microsoft...

Last edited:
Reactions: SSV
Amazon AWS...I have bad experience with one drive..AWS pricing is linked as per usage and not as per fixed commitment like Google and Microsoft...
Sir aap kaha pahuch gaye, OP wants a simple solution and AWS is not an easy solution! (I know its better in many aspects but its all about whether an average user can use it or not !)

Do check for the Privacy part as well. I prefer Mega usually for cloud.

Although I will recommend getting NAS and setting up your own Cloud Server which will give full privacy and control.

Do check for the Privacy part as well. I prefer Mega usually for cloud.

Although I will recommend getting NAS and setting up your own Cloud Server which will give full privacy and control.
No need to be paranoid about privacy. All reputed service providers have mulitple layers of protection built in to safeguard user's data and unless the user are careless about their own data, its pretty solid.
Anyways, a user needs to be aware as well as to what needs to be uploaded and what not !
And its not only about cloud storage but is applicable to every single activity done on internet!

Google 100 GB plan will cost 2520 per year Vs Microsoft 1 TB plan will cost ~1000.
Take a calculative decision.
For backing up photos, One drive can be used.

(I am both using Google's 100 GB plan as well as M365 for my usage)
Google 100 GB plan (effectively 85 GB extra, shared by upto 6 persons) costs 1300 annually. Payment can be made through Google play balance. Google play GV are easily available for 5-10% discount.
First 6 mth can be free through timesprime.

If you want just backup your pics and doesn't bother about the online access, I suggest an alternative way which I am using.

I had been using Google 100GB back for last two years and it always bothered me due to the cost involved. My solution is to used HDD drives for backup. Here how I did.

Calculation:
2TB WD HDD cost (during offer period)= 5.5 K
Another 2TB for redundancy. The major advantage of cloud storage is data protection. Here I use 2 devices to make sure data is safe in case anything happens for one device.
Total cost 5.5*2= 11K.

Google cloud 2TB plan costs you 6.5K per year. Note, its per year. MY WD Passport which I purchased in 2013 is still working without any issue (11 year passed.

In worst case scenario, suppose max life of HDD is 5 years.

Total cost for google drive = 6.5*5 = 32.5K Rupees
HDD solution = 11K

10 years (without considering the future increase/decrease in cloud storage cost)
Google drive 6.5*10 = 65K
HDD solution = 11K :-)

Note, always use 2 HDD to avoid data loss. Data recovery is damn costly.

While I agree that this post is about storage plans, but why is no one talking about the software associated with it? When it comes to photos, I believe nothing comes close to Google Photos, some features are just amazing!
Just yesterday I was looking for a pic from the past with my sisters on the occasion of rakshabandhan, all I had to do was a simple search with their names and voila, every photo I ever took with them was made available! Not only that, you can do some awesome searches to find photos with/without others taken at specific locations too! Plus some AI features on top of that!

While I agree that this post is about storage plans, but why is no one talking about the software associated with it? When it comes to photos, I believe nothing comes close to Google Photos, some features are just amazing!
Just yesterday I was looking for a pic from the past with my sisters on the occasion of rakshabandhan, all I had to do was a simple search with their names and voila, every photo I ever took with them was made available! Not only that, you can do some awesome searches to find photos with/without others taken at specific locations too! Plus some AI features on top of that!
Agree, I have around 15 years of photos, some 45k photos stored in google photos and its a breeze to find a photo !!!

Back