• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

To buy an iPhone or not to?

AritraSaha

TF Legend
my experience:

I am a very casual user, no games, just browsing and email and occasional video)
i had the original iphone se. it was pretty good. however I will not buy an iphone again for the following reasons:
1. you cannot block sms senders which do not have a number. ( like AK-BAJFIN)
2. Music is a big problem if you are not into streaming and itunes.
3. many apps launch features in android first and then on iphone ( like i remember amazon pay had upi on android months before than ios)
4. absence of some niche apps (mainly FOSS and others)
5. no dual physical sim. Esim is simply inconvinient when exchanging phones and in other situations)
6. Iphone remembers all your wifi networks and cannot delete them individually unless you do a complete network reset
7. Lightning cable...i know this will change with iphone 15 but it is a pain in case you forget to carry one in airports and such. I have an airpod which still has lightning. complete move to usb-c would be great

Why I use an android:
(pixel now, but there are many sw bugs and modem + heating issues, will probably move to a sanpdragon samsung or lava if any)
1. Call recording. - Mainly for work, when u dont have a pen and paper in hand. It helps to note down customer sales calls at the end of the day. Also I wanted to record my grandfathers voice before he passed away. Similarly there are many personal anecdotes where a call recording is handy. Note: pixel doesnt have it. Thats why my next will be either lava or samsung
2. Many FOSS music apps with very good UI and lets you to download music
3. system wide adblock through adguard or private dns.
4. dual physical sim. Now that i use an esim i understand the pain.
5. App called Tachiyomi....unparalleled.
6. FOSS reddit app now use redreader.
7. NewPipe x SponsorBlock is excellent for youtube.

These were from the top of my head. Will add if i remember anything else
1692605428111.png

deep@vie

TF Legend
my experience:

I am a very casual user, no games, just browsing and email and occasional video)
i had the original iphone se. it was pretty good. however I will not buy an iphone again for the following reasons:
3. many apps launch features in android first and then on iphone ( like i remember amazon pay had upi on android months before than ios)
5. no dual physical sim. Esim is simply inconvinient when exchanging phones and in other situations)
6. Iphone remembers all your wifi networks and cannot delete them individually unless you do a complete network reset
7. Lightning cable...i know this will change with iphone 15 but it is a pain in case you forget to carry one in airports and such. I have an airpod which still has lightning. complete move to usb-c would be great

Why I use an android:
(pixel now, but there are many sw bugs and modem + heating issues, will probably move to a sanpdragon samsung or lava if any)
1. Call recording. - Mainly for work, when u dont have a pen and paper in hand. It helps to note down customer sales calls at the end of the day. Also I wanted to record my grandfathers voice before he passed away. Similarly there are many personal anecdotes where a call recording is handy. Note: pixel doesnt have it. Thats why my next will be either lava or samsung

Can you give few reasons to a person who isn't logical & just adamant to buy an iPhone pro max cause she's biased that iPhone pro max are than S ultras

harsh1387

TF Ace
Can you give few reasons to a person who isn't logical & just adamant to buy an iPhone pro max cause she's biased that iPhone pro max are than S ultras
Both are equivalent.
Things one does better than other is in both.
Just depends which ecosystem is preferable.

Not being Sexist but ladies mostly prefer pro max over S ultra.. Here the Apple logo is a puller.

Last edited:

k989

TF Buzz
desire is desire. shaukh badi cheez hai. you cant change that. iphones are very desirable--build quality, high price, status symbol.
I always say, if you are earning enough, go ahead and buy once. Kya he, phone hi to hai...1 mahine baad moha chala jata he :)

_ayush

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
my experience:

Why I use an android:

why lava?

k989

TF Buzz
why lava?
because i read reviews that they dont install bloatware (very clean android) and they have default inbuilt call recording without announcement. also lower end phones typically have fm radio too. When on trips I like to listen to meaningless radio jockey blabber instead of just music.

I am waiting to see if they have any snapdragon phones. the snapdragon modems are really good. On my Pixel 6a there are many weird network issues - i dont know whether it is exynos problem or google problem. I just dont want to experiment with mediatek, exynos or unisoc anymore

deep@vie

TF Legend
September is about to come.
So you mean she's going to buy it
Both are equivalent.
Things one does better than other is in both.
Just depends which ecosystem is preferable.

Not being Sexist but ladies mostly prefer pro max over S ultra.. Here the Apple logo is a puller.

deep@vie

TF Legend
Gift your wife a gold ring which is priced less than an iPhone and politely tell her that you will only gift a gold ring to her if she doesn't demands for an iPhone..... Investment bhi ho gaya aur kharcha bhi kam
15pro max is neither better than s23 ultra nor value for money.
That's the primary concern.
Secondary concern, every year we would start upgrading to next pro max where exchange value won't be good for previous one😟

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
I've been going back and forth deciding buying an iPhone or not. I will probably go for iPhone 15 (I know its not released yet but the way how each new iteration is getting better and better battery life is attractive) or the Pro version if the rumor of titanium body is really true. But the main reason to switch is much better battery life. Was also going to buy Macbook next year so can pair with the same environment I guess.

But trade-offs from android are:
  • No customization - Yes, I care.
  • No call recording
  • Truecaller live caller ID doesn't work or so I've seen
  • No Tachiyomi support - Will probably need to read manga on the browser like a psychopath... 😐
Worth it?
First of all, it's already 11 pages long. Second, I use both the iPhone 13 and the S22. When it comes to the display, there's a difference between 60Hz and 120Hz. You're probably referring to the Pro model. Truecaller works fine, but not always. A better workaround is to open the app every day, but I don't do that, so it works about 50% of the time.

Another thing to consider is that you'll love the customized screen. You can add 50 or more wallpapers for each focus mode if you're into customization. Live activities work for the Swiggy app as well. So, my two cents would be to have a friend try to use it and swap their phone with yours. That would give you a clearer picture.
What I did was brought the iPhone 13 from fk and within a few hours, and then the next day, I was frustrated and sold it to my friend. He used the phone for a week and said, 'If you want, you can have it back, or I can compromise. It isn't that bad though.' I took the phone back, and after three months of actually buying the phone during Diwali, I started using it in January of this year. So, the iPhone isn't everyone's cup of tea, especially if you have a high-end Android phone that can do everything much better. I even tried the Pro models of the 13 and 14 – a waste of money – especially from my perspective, already having an Android phone that costs only a third of the price of the iPhone 14 Pro

Last edited:

k989

TF Buzz
15pro max is neither better than s23 ultra nor value for money.
That's the primary concern.
Secondary concern, every year we would start upgrading to next pro max where exchange value won't be good for previous one😟
Edit: 15 pro max is supposed to start at 1299 USD. 200 usd price more than 14 pro max