• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

UPI Payments through Credit Cards is Overhyped/Useless

rogerthat

TF Ace
So I got a Tata Neu Infinity card and was all set to make every single one of my UPI payments through credit cards and reap that sweet cashback of 1.5%! However to my utter frustration, I found that on most occasions (3 out of 4) I don't even get the option to pay through the Credit Card after scanning the QR code. It just shows me the list of my bank accounts! So I end up doing a P2P transaction out of my bank account (if they don't accept cards). Of course, I attempt a UPI transaction only if they don't accept cards.

Note that this is not because there is anything wrong with UPI or RuPay.

The reason is that most merchants (most big ones and ALL small ones) set up their own personal accounts to be scanned for their business and not their merchant/business accounts. In the end you are just transferring them money. I did a calculation going through my bank accounts and the CC statement and found that in the 3 months I had the Tata Neu card my returns on UPI payments has been a pathetic 0.36%. Only around 1 out of 4 UPI transactions was I able to pay via RuPay credit card. I am going to close the card at renewal if they don't make it LTF. No way I am going to recoup the Rs.1770 annual fees.

At the end of it, no benefit at all. The entire "pay with credit card on UPI" thing is utterly useless.

The worse thing is nobody is even talking about this! Everyone pretends that they make all UPI payments via credit card and keep singing songs about it!

(Note: Didn't post this in the RuPay Cards forum because people will think this is happening because something is wrong with RuPay. Mods, please feel free to relocate the thread if I am wrong).

Last edited:
m

ein aise choti cheezo ke liye internet pe aake rota nahi hoo
surcharge nahi bharna to bank ya cash se pay karo
This thread itself is created to express concerns about UPI.
Conversation and rone me fark hota hai. then according to you, the OP is also crying for small mere things.

Some people can find themselves in the same situation thinking it's a UPI and they won't be charged any surcharges.
I did not like Your tone of reply. Instead of understanding the problem, your stupid counter reply saying 12.8rs on 310rs. is nothing but chillar shows your thinking whereas you yourself are crying on different threads here.

You buy chocolates from that Bhandar......Store ?
Those are from a Chat Bhandar shop near General Bazar, Paradise Secunderabad... last time we(3 people) went for shopping..
Actually this was the first time I ate chat in about 10 years... and it was now made public... alas....

Aise kyun @Abhishek012 aap kuch batana chahenge is vishai pad 😁
Surcharge toh lagega he, isme new kya hai ?

Remember, Maine bahot bar bola hai ki abhi CC link UPI transaction, normal UPI network pe chal raha hai.

NPCI "Credit on UPI" network pura build kar raha hai. jisme upto 2 years lag jayega.

"Credit on UPI" network pe wohi same t&c apply hoga jo credit card network pe hote hai.

ok
This thread itself is created to express concerns about UPI.
Conversation and rone me fark hota hai. then according to you, the OP is also crying for small mere things.

Some people can find themselves in the same situation thinking it's a UPI and they won't be charged any surcharges.
I did not like Your tone of reply. Instead of understanding the problem, your stupid counter reply saying 12.8rs on 310rs. is nothing but chillar shows your thinking whereas you yourself are crying on different threads here.

I have tataneu rupay card and have linked it to payzapp. There is no bank account linked to that mobile no. I do UPI-CC payment from that only. I live in a metro and so far, over the last 2 mths, have made about 50-60 UPI payments of small value (30 to 250), mostly at small shops and even roadside snacks shops. All txn were successful. For 1 shop I did not get any reward point on any txn, for rest got reward points also till July.

True point! But personally i have not faced such problem. Almost 90% transactions go through CC. In big store i always ask for tap and pay because CC milestone reward is much higher than regular Rupay reward.

I see UPI CC payment is more useful in terms of B2B payments. Where we get 45 days credit for business payments.
Upi cc payment is useful only at places who don't accept cc.

Why bro? The minimum transaction amount is 500rs. to get the surcharge waiver.
The conclusion of my story is. Do not use Rupay on UPI assuming it's a UPI and you won't be charged surcharges. The surcharges will only be waived if it fulfills the Credit card surcharge waiver criteria.
But waiver is only 1%.

Bank will reverse only 1% of the txn Amount and if you were charged Rs.11.8, Bank will not reverse full Rs.11.8.

The Petrol Pump where I refuel regularly, i was charged many times Rs 11.8 and Reversal Happened only for 1%.

Then I understand defect is in ICICI POS.

Basuriwaala ICICI, rewards diye nhi jaate cards pe, Minimum Rs.11.8 charge kar raha hai aur khud ke cards pe reversal bhi 1% ka hi deta hai.
Doglapan dekh rahe ho.

One Card is the only Credit Card which reverses the full Rs.11.8 and gives 1% Vaiueback.

Last edited:
But waiver is only 1%.

Bank will reverse only 1% of the txn Amount and if you were charged Rs.11.8, Bank will not reverse full Rs.11.8.

The Petrol Pump where I refuel regularly, i was charged many times Rs 11.8 and Reversal Happened only for 1%.

Then I understand defect is in ICICI POS.

Basuriwaala ICICI, rewards diye nhi jaate cards pe, Minimum Rs.11.8 charge kar raha hai aur khud ke cards pe reversal bhi 1% ka hi deta hai.
Doglapan dekh rahe ho.

Only One Card is the only Credit Card which reverses the full Rs.11.8 and gives 1% Vaiueback.
Bhai sambhal ker koi KEH dega -
choti cheezo ke liye internet pe aake rota hai

Back