• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

UPI Payments through Credit Cards is Overhyped/Useless

rogerthat

TF Ace
So I got a Tata Neu Infinity card and was all set to make every single one of my UPI payments through credit cards and reap that sweet cashback of 1.5%! However to my utter frustration, I found that on most occasions (3 out of 4) I don't even get the option to pay through the Credit Card after scanning the QR code. It just shows me the list of my bank accounts! So I end up doing a P2P transaction out of my bank account (if they don't accept cards). Of course, I attempt a UPI transaction only if they don't accept cards.

Note that this is not because there is anything wrong with UPI or RuPay.

The reason is that most merchants (most big ones and ALL small ones) set up their own personal accounts to be scanned for their business and not their merchant/business accounts. In the end you are just transferring them money. I did a calculation going through my bank accounts and the CC statement and found that in the 3 months I had the Tata Neu card my returns on UPI payments has been a pathetic 0.36%. Only around 1 out of 4 UPI transactions was I able to pay via RuPay credit card. I am going to close the card at renewal if they don't make it LTF. No way I am going to recoup the Rs.1770 annual fees.

At the end of it, no benefit at all. The entire "pay with credit card on UPI" thing is utterly useless.

The worse thing is nobody is even talking about this! Everyone pretends that they make all UPI payments via credit card and keep singing songs about it!

(Note: Didn't post this in the RuPay Cards forum because people will think this is happening because something is wrong with RuPay. Mods, please feel free to relocate the thread if I am wrong).

Last edited:
But waiver is only 1%.

Bank will reverse only 1% of the txn Amount and if you were charged Rs.11.8, Bank will not reverse full Rs.11.8.

The Petrol Pump where I refuel regularly, i was charged many times Rs 11.8 and Reversal Happened only for 1%.

Then I understand defect is in ICICI POS.

Basuriwaala ICICI, rewards diye nhi jaate cards pe, Minimum Rs.11.8 charge kar raha hai aur khud ke cards pe reversal bhi 1% ka hi deta hai.
Doglapan dekh rahe ho.

One Card is the only Credit Card which reverses the full Rs.11.8 and gives 1% Vaiueback.
Oh man never knew about one card. It will find way to my wallet now.

Biggest bummer for me was when I took admission for my son in Kindergarten (big establishment with multiple branches) and had to pay large sum via UPI bank transfer

They did not have PoS machine, so card acceptance was not possible. They gave only QR code and to my surprise, it was personal QR and not merchant QR. Had to make entire >40K payment via UPI bank transfer as card option was not showing

What people do to save 1% MDR! Really not expected from such a big commercial establishment

Biggest bummer for me was when I took admission for my son in Kindergarten (big establishment with multiple branches) and had to pay large sum via UPI bank transfer

They did not have PoS machine, so card acceptance was not possible. They gave only QR code and to my surprise, it was personal QR and not merchant QR. Had to make entire >40K payment via UPI bank transfer as card option was not showing

What people do to save 1% MDR! Really not expected from such a big commercial establishment
You can use education fee payment on paytm or cred. Use a card whose reward rate is more than 1.5%

So I got a Tata Neu Infinity card and was all set to make every single one of my UPI payments through credit cards and reap that sweet cashback of 1.5%! However to my utter frustration, I found that on most occasions (3 out of 4) I don't even get the option to pay through the Credit Card after scanning the QR code. It just shows me the list of my bank accounts! So I end up doing a P2P transaction out of my bank account (if they don't accept cards). Of course, I attempt a UPI transaction only if they don't accept cards.

The reason is that most merchants (most big ones and ALL small ones) set up their own personal accounts to be scanned for their business and not their merchant/business accounts. In the end you are just transferring them money. I did a calculation going through my bank accounts and the CC statement and found that in the 3 months I had the Tata Neu card my returns on UPI payments has been a pathetic 0.36%. Only around 1 out of 4 UPI transactions was I able to pay via RuPay credit card. I am going to close the card at renewal if they don't make it LTF. No way I am going to recoup the Rs.1770 annual fees.

At the end of it, no benefit at all. The entire "pay with credit card on UPI" thing is utterly useless.

The worse thing is nobody is even talking about this! Everyone pretends that they make all UPI payments via credit card and keep singing songs about it!

(Note: Didn't post this in the RuPay Cards forum because people will think this is happening because something is wrong with RuPay. Mods, please feel free to relocate the thread if I am wrong).
My experience is little different. Some times Paytm and few other UPI apps will not show Rupay credit card option during payment or sometimes transaction will fail. However other UPI apps like Phonepe and Mobikwik payment works well with the same QR code.

As many said, Even for me these days paytm not allowing to pay and declining the transaction. I have found a way to make the payment go via Paytm itself 😂.

So there is an option called airpay. You can choose that option. I have also cross checked, there is no convenience fee. Then you can choose Paytm to pay. The transaction will succeed.

But the airpay is not instant. I takes quite sometime to track the payment. Hence not recommended for tatkal bookings. Attached SS for reference.

Funny part is Paytm is confused on which card I paid 🤣.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-21-22-14-37-22_384e4076ff3a051c023737919f1276c9.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-21-22-14-37-22_384e4076ff3a051c023737919f1276c9.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_2023-08-21-22-15-03-87_384e4076ff3a051c023737919f1276c9.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-21-22-15-03-87_384e4076ff3a051c023737919f1276c9.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230822_115430.jpg
    IMG_20230822_115430.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I must say I don't quite agree with the OP as I've had a rather different experience. Both in Delhi where I work and in Kerala my home state, I could use Rupay CC on credit card in a good number of transactions. In Kerala where CC transaction possibilities were otherwise not that much across the non-city areas, Rupay on UPI has made a big difference. In fact, I could pay even roadside tea sellers through CC. A few have put up personal account codes, and some others have current account linked codes where I couldn't do UPI transaction. Hope the latter case will be fixed by the RBI, and more merchants, particularly those with higher returns, should be forced through proper regulations...

SOLUTION:
So I took the advice of many on this thread and forum and conducted an exercise using different UPI apps trying to make Rupay CC payments over the past month. And what I found is:
  • Google Pay: Only around 15% of QR scans are recognised for Rupay UPI CC payment. Interestingly, some of these scans also showed other credit cards (Visa/Master) saved in GPay as payment options.
  • PayTM and PhonePe: Slightly better maybe 20% of scans are recognised for either. The thing is that there is no consistency among the three apps. What shows up on PayTM might not show up on GPay and so on. So this is where BHIM comes in.
  • BHIM: 75% QR code scans are recognised for Rupay CC payment!

So the solution is to use the BHIM app for all your UPI QR scans for Rupay CC payments. Even if it is a personal account you will get an option to pay with your Rupay CC 3 out of 4 times. Yes the app is slow and clunky but it works and you are rewarded. It is much better than the frustrating experience of trying out 3-4 apps everytime you are trying to make a payment. Or you can find a shop where your favorite app works and stick to it.

HACK: If there is a shop/service you frequent regularly you can ask them to get a HDFC PayZapp QR code. The great thing about it is that you can make UPI payments using your Visa/Master cards (only some bank cards are available though) through Google Pay via PayZapp QR as they are basically BharatQR codes.

Thanks!

SOLUTION:
So I took the advice of many on this thread and forum and conducted an exercise using different UPI apps trying to make Rupay CC payments over the past month. And what I found is:
  • Google Pay: Only around 15% of QR scans are recognised for Rupay UPI CC payment. Interestingly, some of these scans also showed other credit cards (Visa/Master) saved in GPay as payment options.
  • PayTM and PhonePe: Slightly better maybe 20% of scans are recognised for either. The thing is that there is no consistency among the three apps. What shows up on PayTM might not show up on GPay and so on. So this is where BHIM comes in.
  • BHIM: 75% QR code scans are recognised for Rupay CC payment!

So the solution is to use the BHIM app for all your UPI QR scans for Rupay CC payments. Even if it is a personal account you will get an option to pay with your Rupay CC 3 out of 4 times. Yes the app is slow and clunky but it works and you are rewarded. It is much better than the frustrating experience of trying out 3-4 apps everytime you are trying to make a payment. Or you can find a shop where your favorite app works and stick to it.

HACK: If there is a shop/service you frequent regularly you can ask them to get a HDFC PayZapp QR code. The great thing about it is that you can make UPI payments using your Visa/Master cards (only some bank cards are available though) through Google Pay via PayZapp QR as they are basically BharatQR codes.

Thanks!
You can't make UPI payments using your Visa/Master cards. This is Bharat QR payment. you need to enter card otp to pay.

2nd thing, scan again 2nd time QR code you will see RuPay UPI CC payment option on your Paytm app. I always facing this problem on Scan and pay or online UPI transaction, first time i didn't get RuPay UPI CC payment option but when i go back and scan again or doing online transaction again, this time same merchant RuPay UPI CC payment option came.

If you are using Paytm app and scan any Paytm QR then first de-select paytm wallet option and then you will get RuPay UPI CC payment option.

Recently, many twitter users told this thing, when you scan paytm QR code, by default paytm choose Paytm wallet option and you will not get RuPay UPI CC payment option. So, first you need to de-select Paytm wallet option (untick paytm wallet option).

I have been having similar issue with Paytm lately.

I did the UPI transaction using rupay credit card once in paytm, and after that my card is not showing up in paytm, only paytm wallet and bank accounts are listed.
I tried google pay, but it said "Overdraft account not supported. Can't pay with UPI from overdraft account." And finally had to do transaction using bank account.

This is happening only on paytm QR code scanners, on phonepe scanners it is working fine.

Back