• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

UPI Payments through Credit Cards is Overhyped/Useless

rogerthat

TF Ace
So I got a Tata Neu Infinity card and was all set to make every single one of my UPI payments through credit cards and reap that sweet cashback of 1.5%! However to my utter frustration, I found that on most occasions (3 out of 4) I don't even get the option to pay through the Credit Card after scanning the QR code. It just shows me the list of my bank accounts! So I end up doing a P2P transaction out of my bank account (if they don't accept cards). Of course, I attempt a UPI transaction only if they don't accept cards.

Note that this is not because there is anything wrong with UPI or RuPay.

The reason is that most merchants (most big ones and ALL small ones) set up their own personal accounts to be scanned for their business and not their merchant/business accounts. In the end you are just transferring them money. I did a calculation going through my bank accounts and the CC statement and found that in the 3 months I had the Tata Neu card my returns on UPI payments has been a pathetic 0.36%. Only around 1 out of 4 UPI transactions was I able to pay via RuPay credit card. I am going to close the card at renewal if they don't make it LTF. No way I am going to recoup the Rs.1770 annual fees.

At the end of it, no benefit at all. The entire "pay with credit card on UPI" thing is utterly useless.

The worse thing is nobody is even talking about this! Everyone pretends that they make all UPI payments via credit card and keep singing songs about it!

(Note: Didn't post this in the RuPay Cards forum because people will think this is happening because something is wrong with RuPay. Mods, please feel free to relocate the thread if I am wrong).

Last edited:
So I got a Tata Neu Infinity card and was all set to make every single one of my UPI payments through credit cards and reap that sweet cashback of 1.5%! However to my utter frustration, I found that on most occasions (3 out of 4) I don't even get the option to pay through the Credit Card after scanning the QR code. It just shows me the list of my bank accounts! So I end up doing a P2P transaction out of my bank account (if they don't accept cards). Of course, I attempt a UPI transaction only if they don't accept cards.

Note that this is not because there is anything wrong with UPI or RuPay.

The reason is that most merchants (most big ones and ALL small ones) set up their own personal accounts to be scanned for their business and not their merchant/business accounts. In the end you are just transferring them money. I did a calculation going through my bank accounts and the CC statement and found that in the 3 months I had the Tata Neu card my returns on UPI payments has been a pathetic 0.36%. Only around 1 out of 4 UPI transactions was I able to pay via RuPay credit card. I am going to close the card at renewal if they don't make it LTF. No way I am going to recoup the Rs.1770 annual fees.

At the end of it, no benefit at all. The entire "pay with credit card on UPI" thing is utterly useless.

The worse thing is nobody is even talking about this! Everyone pretends that they make all UPI payments via credit card and keep singing songs about it!

(Note: Didn't post this in the RuPay Cards forum because people will think this is happening because something is wrong with RuPay. Mods, please feel free to relocate the thread if I am wrong).
Whether CC is coming after scanning QR also depends of the app you're using. It's my personal experience. Not every app shows CC for every merchant QR. Also old Phonepe QRs are useless. They're regarded as personal QRs by even Phonepe app. New Phonepe QRs are fine.

I had done UPI through PNB rupay SELECT CARD on a petrol pump for 310rs. I was charged surcharges. Then What is the benefit of having UPI on rupay?
majority of cards give surcharge waiver
and the benefit ifrupay in upi is using it at merchants who dont have pos machine
310 rs pe 3 surcharge laga hoga 3 add on card issue karwale cred se link karkle waapis mil jayega

I had done UPI through PNB rupay SELECT CARD on a petrol pump for 310rs. I was charged surcharges. Then What is the benefit of having UPI on rupay?
Paying for fuel through UPI will carry surcharge(Rs 10 or 1% whichever is less) in most of the cases as fuel MCC is tagged. The surcharge normally is received back. AFAIK PNB rupay select cc does not have surcharge waiver so you might not receive the surcharge back.

My experience has been totally different. 1 in 30-35 transactions on UPI doesn't allow credit card. Even small shopkeepers in my village have merchant QR code. Rarely credit card is not allowed. So I am making 2% on all transactions with Kiwi card.
Are merchants charged MDR on UPI -credir card purchases?

If yes.... You might wanna tell them to turn it off... Exploit ho rahe log phir to 🤣

Quick question,
Do you have money loaded on your wallet?

I saw that as long as I had money on Paytm wallet, it didn't give me the option to pay via credit card. Dark patterns right there.

There are a few more I noticed in Paytm.

Is this you guys are talking about?

Having money in Paytm Wallet and allowing us to pay using Coral Rupay card??

I am doing it, doing it quite frequently.. All the payments in my payment screen are done thru ICICI Coral Rupay..

paytmwallet.jpg

paytm rupay.jpg

Last edited:
f
Is this you guys are talking about?

Having money in Paytm Wallet and allowing us to pay using Coral Rupay card??

I am doing it, doing it quite frequently.. All the payments in my payment screen are done thru ICICI Coral Rupay..

View attachment 25996
View attachment 25997
or this merchant qr is required
the place where op lives merchants may be not be using merchant qr due to gst and pan linkage for higher limits

Back