• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Victim of wrong MCC code - Lost a significant amount of money due to surcharge

Jis wrong mcc ka fayda ham le rahe .. uska bada loss bhi hai.. good to know the case.. eye opener.. i will like to see how it ends.
You should make one twitter post and tag all relevant party and we retweet. let this spread..

First, file a complaint with PhonePe and email them. HDFC Bank is not going to help here, as they are not responsible either. The surcharges are valid and most likely won't be reversed.

If PhonePe doesn't accept their mistake and refund the extra fees HDFC charged you, file a complaint with the RBI, detailing everything. Most likely, you'll get some justice. But if the RBI also doesn't help, go ahead and file a chargeback with HDFC Bank, stating that you purchased fuel but didn't receive it. Let PhonePe and the dealer suffer as well. I know filing a false chargeback is not right, but what PhonePe is doing is absolutely horrible.

If MCC is of fuel category then merchant dont have to pay any mdr as its charged to customer. So first you have to ask dealer to provide refund of 1% swipe charge. You can ask for settlement details on their bank to check if dealer was charged or not. And also AFAIK no dealer can charge for digital transaction if no discount was given on ex showroom price.
And for future, always try with test transaction first and ask cc for mcc code after settlement, which usually takes 2 dyas.
No instantly we can come to know the MCC by calling customer care by doing a small test amount like 1 rupee swipe. May be the transaction reflect at our end after 2 days or so but by calling customer care, we can immediately know under which mcc does the transaction/merchant falls

Last edited:
No instantly we can come to know the MCC by calling customer care by doing a small test amount like 1 rupee swipe. May be the transaction reflect at our end after 2 days or so but by calling customer care, we can immediately know under which transaction/merchant mcc falls
From where can we get the mcc list?

Dealer is liable for chargeback, can try that route

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240726_144849_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20240726_144849_Chrome.webp
    415.7 KB · Views: 70
First, file a complaint with PhonePe and email them. HDFC Bank is not going to help here, as they are not responsible either. The surcharges are valid and most likely won't be reversed.

If PhonePe doesn't accept their mistake and refund the extra fees HDFC charged you, file a complaint with the RBI, detailing everything. Most likely, you'll get some justice. But if the RBI also doesn't help, go ahead and file a chargeback with HDFC Bank, stating that you purchased fuel but didn't receive it. Let PhonePe and the dealer suffer as well. I know filing a false chargeback is not right, but what PhonePe is doing is absolutely horrible.
Phone pe is not responding on X. Unable to find any email id also on the internet to complain. And their apps only has a limited options to raise the complaint. Anyone has the phonepe escalations email ids here?

Update: Escalated to next level in Navjivan Motors (the dealer) attaching this mail from hdfc. Trying to connect with phonepe on twitter, but they aren't responding.

Next steps: will wait for 2-3 days if it can be resolved by them or else might have to escalate it further to the RBI Ombudsman or the consumer court. Anyone from the community can suggest any better approach or the process to raise complaint with RBI
Update: after escalation, dealer contacted me on call and told me that they will take it forward with phonepe to get the categorization corrected.
I have also raised a complaint to merchant-pgsupport@phonepe.com attaching the transaction slips and hdfc email.

Update: after escalation, dealer contacted me on call and told me that they will take it forward with phonepe to get the categorization corrected.
I have also raised a complaint to merchant-pgsupport@phonepe.com attaching the transaction slips and hdfc email.
Share the detail phonepe asked via dm, I'll dm phonepe, if they are not responding to you.

Hope you get all the extra amount charged for you bro. Good luck.

But going forward just be cautious while making a big ticket transactions using credit cards

Update: after escalation on the dealer side, the dealer agreed to take it forward with phonepe. They told that phonepe will check and give the refund of extra amount that is charged. I am currently claiming the whole amount including the extra amount charged by the dealer, the fuel surcharge, the reward points and the milestone benefits. If they are not providing that I plan to request them to not give any compensation and tell them to correct the categorization rather. And if they disagree, will take it forward to RBI. Any views on this?

On the other part, trying to register a case with phonepe through different channels but there has been no response. Their call centers are telling it's a dealer issue, we can't help, you need to contact merchant helpline and mailing to Their merchant support is telling to ask the dealer to raise complaint with phonepe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240729_144950_Gmail.webp
    Screenshot_20240729_144950_Gmail.webp
    454.7 KB · Views: 29
Update: after escalation on the dealer side, the dealer agreed to take it forward with phonepe. They told that phonepe will check and give the refund of extra amount that is charged. I am currently claiming the whole amount including the extra amount charged by the dealer, the fuel surcharge, the reward points and the milestone benefits. If they are not providing that I plan to request them to not give any compensation and tell them to correct the categorization rather. And if they disagree, will take it forward to RBI. Any views on this?

On the other part, trying to register a case with phonepe through different channels but there has been no response. Their call centers are telling it's a dealer issue, we can't help, you need to contact merchant helpline and mailing to Their merchant support is telling to ask the dealer to raise complaint with phonepe.
As per me, you are running behind the wrong guy. Phonepe is not at fault here. Raising compliant with then is not going to help you. You should run behind dealer to refund the money or go to RBI Ombudsman. Nothing else will help here.

Update: got a call from phonepe asking me the proofs (something in writing from the bank) for addidtional charges deducted and they told they will return it. What shall I do now?

Update: got a call from phonepe asking me the proofs (something in writing from the bank) for addidtional charges deducted and they told they will return it. What shall I do now?
Send them the email reply from HDFC Bank and a copy of your current statement. Ask them why, if they provided the POS machine to the merchant, they can't check the assigned MCC themselves. Don't they know the bank charges a 1% fuel surcharge on credit cards?

Send them the email reply from HDFC Bank and a copy of your current statement. Ask them why, if they provided the POS machine to the merchant, they can't check the assigned MCC themselves. Don't they know the bank charges a 1% fuel surcharge on credit cards?
They are asking probably because I am claiming the full amount including the diners black reward points, the milestone benefits, the fuel surcharge and the amount charged by the dealer. No issues, I'll send them the entire breakup of the total amount. And if they disagree, I'll tell them rather to correct the categorization and don't pay any compensation. Please let me know if you have better suggestions.

I highly doubt that any of the 3 parties (Phonepe/Dealer/HDFC) will compensate on full amount (specially DB reward points). The best you can expect from them is the refund on fuel surcharge.
The ideal way to resolve the issue will be to get the categorization done in the transaction and in turn it may automatically resolve all of your issues all together.

Back