• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Weird Indian obsession with UPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?

For contactless txn people have fear of getting card stolen.

Sir, it is more difficult than tapping a card. There is no way card can be stolen while tapping.

bhai wo Postpaid ki baat kar rha aur aap Prepaid ki baat kar rhe.

wo card tapping ke time chori ki baat nahi kar raha wo kehna chahte hai ki card chori ke baad card ka so called Tap and Pay feature use krke JAAMTARA gang paisa uda denge. jab tk aapko pata chalega sms ki through money deduct ka tab tk to Tap Tapa Tap --- Tap and Pay kar lenge

As a payment system, UPI is great. Easy, quick and cheap. I am not criticizing UPI nor am I against it. I use it myself happily and proudly. I just find it much more convenient to tap a card than use UPI at larger shops and restaurants.
Sure I can understand.

I think what you might be missing is that the new generation is mobile-first.
-it's easier to keep a track
-there's no hassle of bill payment, crying over ruining cibil
-and the biggest - credit card are considered a loan product. A big taboo in India for a good reason

Just fight between Tap n Pay of cards & UPI.

Which is obviously personal choice if someone want to use UPI or tap n pay.

There is nothing need to be done in thread IMO.

So locking thread might be great option 🤭.
nah let them discuss.. as long it healthy discussion. i prefer both cause cred were giving out reward on Au cc some months back on Tap and Pay if no reward then UPI Scan win big time cause it screams convivence. Scan and you're own your way. this isn't a debate. just a QR sticker and be done VS a POS machine.

bhai wo Postpaid ki baat kar rha aur aap Prepaid ki baat kar rhe.

wo card tapping ke time chori ki baat nahi kar raha wo kehna chahte hai ki card chori ke baad card ka so called Tap and Pay feature use krke JAAMTARA gang paisa uda denge. jab tk aapko pata chalega sms ki through money deduct ka tab tk to Tap Tapa Tap --- Tap and Pay kar lenge
So one should never have a card? It’s bank’s loss anyway if it is misued.

I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?
bro.. have multiple option is good but it very hard to change consumer behavior toward certain things. i see tons of thing everyday so what work for you won't make it better in other people life. it simple just move on and use tons of payment methods that work best for you depend on the situtation.

So one should never have a card? It’s bank’s loss anyway if it is misued.
Banks are more intelligent than most of us. They understand the market, they understand the emotion of people and for that they introduced UPI linked with Rupay Credit Card.

Rath dekhna, kela bechna eksath 🎃.

If bank gives you Rupay credit card, add and convert them to UPI. 🫡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back