• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Weird Indian obsession with UPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?

I am talking about India only. You are looking at it from the perspective of the merchant. I am talking about a customer perspective. You have both options. Why choose the more difficult one?
i am also talking about India only bro.
If you flaunt your credit card in public place there may be some risk of card details exposure like card number, cvv, expiry,etc which could be misue for fraud.

yes we can use credit card for large purchase to reap benefits of its rewards and cashback.
ye Haldiram me 200-600 ke chindi bill ke chakkr me account tou khaali nahi krwa skte na kyuki line me sab bheed laga ke rahte h.

aur log hand me humesha phone carry krke chalte h credit card nahi. its much easy to scan and pay through UPI or UPI on credit card
scan the QR --> approved payment by touch id or face id

i am also talking about India only bro.
If you flaunt your credit card in public place there may be some risk of card details exposure like card number, cvv, expiry,etc which could be misue for fraud.

yes we can use credit card for large purchase to reap benefits of its rewards and cashback.
ye Haldiram me 200-600 ke chindi bill ke chakkr me account tou khaali nahi krwa skte na kyuki line me sab bheed laga ke rahte h.

aur log hand me humesha phone carry krke chalte h credit card nahi. its much easy to scan and pay through UPI or UPI on credit card
scan the QR --> approved payment by touch id or face id
No risk whatsoever. Cards are meant to be used. What did you do before UPI?

Just because one thing is working well doesn’t mean everything should be only Indian way.
aye-pagal-aurat-jethalal-champaklal-gada.gif

Why not 😎

You're literally proving my point.

India using the best tech from abroad. Similarly the west is using the best from India.
As a payment system, UPI is great. Easy, quick and cheap. I am not criticizing UPI nor am I against it. I use it myself happily and proudly. I just find it much more convenient to tap a card than use UPI at larger shops and restaurants.

Still the hassle of using UPI is there. Just tap that Rupay card.
Be it Petrol pump, a restaurant, a bakery....most places you would have to wait for the guy to take a POS machine, enter the amount and wait for the rap page to come.

A a restaurant especially, I would rather scan and pay as soon as I get the bill, rather than wait for the guy to bring the PoS machine

I would easily say the educated people are the ones not using credit card. Just because we use it for our use doesn't mean the average user will be using it the same way.
I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?
The easiest assumption to make would be, the educated people are the ones not using credit card. Just because there is a community using this well to their advantage, we get the benefits thanks to the majority who don't use this well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back