• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Why Loose green tea tastes worse than green tea bag

asahi

TF Premier
I’m a regular green tea consumer but I use tea bags, so seeing loose green tea is much cheaper than green tea bags, I bought a loose green tea package same brand of my tea bags, so I followed instructions & brewed a cup. Man there’s a world of difference b/w loose green tea & green tea bag. So why is that?. Loose green tastes horrible, not at all refreshing. So which is true green tea. If loose one is real one, then what they’re adding to tea bags to make it taste better?

Any views guys?

jk51

TF Premier
I’m a regular green tea consumer but I use tea bags, so seeing loose green tea is much cheaper than green tea bags, I bought a loose green tea package same brand of my tea bags, so I followed instructions & brewed a cup. Man there’s a world of difference b/w loose green tea & green tea bag. So why is that?. Loose green tastes horrible, not at all refreshing. So which is true green tea. If loose one is real one, then what they’re adding to tea bags to make it taste better?

Any views guys?
There as three aspects with regards to brewing loose tea:

1. Loose tea needs to be unpacked in an air tight container separate from the one in which it came to prolong its freshness.

2. Optimal quantity of leaves taken to brew the required tea is of utmost importance the skill of which comes with practice. Many people use timer, green tea kettle and kitchen weight scale to brew their cup to perfection. Also temperature of water plays an important factor as in case of tea bag people simply place their tea bag in hot water, whereas in case of loose leaves mostly people place the leaves for brewing initially as the water comes to boil leading to far more bitter taste.

3. Drastic difference in taste is more noticeable to people who brew their cup only with water and don’t take light sugar/honey/dates along.