• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Why not a new C-2-C variant of application ?

RAMESH BABU N

TF Legend
Having seen the evolution of Credit Card businesses in India n abroad - in the last 35+ years, I am surprised to see very many innovative procedures - right from product design to marketing to processing n every other related aspect.

From 1card for a customer to many cards.
From a max of 2-3 cards to a minimum of a dozen cards or even to aboit 50 CCs.
Add-on Cards to LTF cards to FYF cards to Virtual cards to pre-paid cards....

When we have already seen all existing possibilities, what more we can expect ?

In the next 3-5 years ?

C-2-C application processing is one area I expect many changes to take place.

We might see :

You apply for a better, new card by surrendering your existing card (one or more cards). The new issuing bank will collect your existing card(s) of any other bank n get it/them cancelled n then issue their new card.

This serves many purposes. Un-used cards, under-used cards, low limit cards will be replaced by latest, active cards. Multiple tens of cards will be replaced by few cards.

In a near saturated market, multiple banks can come together n market their best cards to NOT ONLY the best rated customers but for anyone who has multiple cards by this unique upgrades.

Almost all customers holding more than 6-8 cards must be too willing to swap their less used cards in getting a better card.

Bank-specific upgrade path of existing cards is not uniform or lucrative or competetive. If such pan-industry level of upgradation path is available, I am sure, existing card holders will be the happiest lot willing to swap.

This is one area I expect the first mover will get the most premium lot of customers.

What do you think ?

If Bank A collect a card issued by Bank B, wouldn't it be a violation of terms and conditions,
as far as i know Cards are property of the issuing bank, and users are given a liscense to use the card as per the banks agreement, in case the card get misplaced it has to returned to the bank not the user

I do as well wonder about the future of credit cards and payments in general, i think physical cards will be slowly replaced by digital cards on phones and eventually just biometric based payment with no physical card or device required

Having seen the evolution of Credit Card businesses in India n abroad - in the last 35+ years, I am surprised to see very many innovative procedures - right from product design to marketing to processing n every other related aspect.

From 1card for a customer to many cards.
From a max of 2-3 cards to a minimum of a dozen cards or even to aboit 50 CCs.
Add-on Cards to LTF cards to FYF cards to Virtual cards to pre-paid cards....

When we have already seen all existing possibilities, what more we can expect ?

In the next 3-5 years ?

C-2-C application processing is one area I expect many changes to take place.

We might see :

You apply for a better, new card by surrendering your existing card (one or more cards). The new issuing bank will collect your existing card(s) of any other bank n get it/them cancelled n then issue their new card.

This serves many purposes. Un-used cards, under-used cards, low limit cards will be replaced by latest, active cards. Multiple tens of cards will be replaced by few cards.

In a near saturated market, multiple banks can come together n market their best cards to NOT ONLY the best rated customers but for anyone who has multiple cards by this unique upgrades.

Almost all customers holding more than 6-8 cards must be too willing to swap their less used cards in getting a better card.

Bank-specific upgrade path of existing cards is not uniform or lucrative or competetive. If such pan-industry level of upgradation path is available, I am sure, existing card holders will be the happiest lot willing to swap.

This is one area I expect the first mover will get the most premium lot of customers.

What do you think ?
May be down the line but it will take 4-5 years atleast.
Banks are reluctant to offer even Network interchangeability though RBI formed rules mandating it.
Also, in India there are many loop holes to generate fake networth... No bank will trust the limit/variant, offered by other bank.

+This kind of scheme are hard to implement due to 'antitrust' laws. Though Jio is classical exception (but we all know the reasons for that)

This unique way of consolidation will result in 2 or 3 world class CC issuers out of the existing 30+ issuers.

These top 2-3 can focus on innovative n rewarding CC products while the others can continue to provide entry level, basic n mid range cards.

Moreover, this type of consolidation removes wastage (and exaggerating) certain facilities - like Priority Pass cards...
Now-a-days, we see many individuals having multiple Priority Pass (n other such brand) cards and most of these cards are/were rarely used.

Such consolidation will also eliminate over leveraging of all the existing CC holders.

Whay say ?

This unique way of consolidation will result in 2 or 3 world class CC issuers out of the existing 30+ issuers.

These top 2-3 can
Which 2-3 is the question.
Those 2-3 spots are up for grabs and now every one is fighting over it. When this market matures everyone will become sane, hopefully and the consolidation happens.
Same as Telecom.

Which 2-3 is the question.
Those 2-3 spots are up for grabs and now every one is fighting over it. When this market matures everyone will become sane, hopefully and the consolidation happens.
Same as Telecom.
HDFC, Axis, Amex i suppose,
SBI is not going anywhere as it's Govt founded and funded

HDFC, Axis, Amex i suppose,
SBI is not going anywhere as it's Govt founded and funded
IMO
3 of ICICI, SBI, HDFC, Axis
Amex has a very narrow set of customers and acceptability, coupled with high MDR are big hurdles to overcome to come out in top 10, let alone top 3.

IMO
3 of ICICI, SBI, HDFC, Axis
Amex has a very narrow set of customers and acceptability, coupled with high MDR are big hurdles to overcome to come out in top 10, let alone top 3.
While ICICI has a lot of cards in circulation, most them are quite useless

Amex on the other hand has a global presence and a dadicated fanbase, i don't see them going anywhere

Last edited:
While ICICI has a lot of cards in circulation, most them are quite useless

Amex on the other hand has a global presence and a dadicated fanbase, i don't see them going anywhere
When the music will stop, the fanboys will all move on. Just look at Axis now.

ICICI never had an orchestra . The kaccha badam moment was when they launched cobranded amazon icici.
homer simpson episode 22 GIF

Axis is a self destructive organization, they tried to grow too much too fast, got crushed under its own weight and expectations

Amex on the other hand is one of the oldest financial institutions the world, from Express couriers to credit cards, from US to Australia, from Smartearn to Centurion, they know what they're doing

Back