• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Your First Credit Card Story - How did you get your first credit card?

TechnoFinoTechnoFino is verified member.

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Hello every,
The first credit card is special for everyone. We all remember the experience of getting our first card 😃
Let's share our first credit card experience...
My experience-
My first credit card was ICICI HPCL Coral, which I received in 2015. My home address at that time did not fall within any bank's serviceable area, so they asked me to apply for credit card against FD. But I needed an unsecured credit card, so I talked to my branch manager and I told him I needed an unsecured card.
He told me that... we can give you an unsecured card but for that you have to purchase an ICICI Prudential Ulip policy of Rs. 2 lakhs (minimum).
At that time I desperately needed a credit card because my business was in USA and I needed a credit card for its payment. I was unemployed that time with zero CIBIL score, No bank was offering me a credit card so I had purchased a policy of two lakh rupees at that time and got my first ever credit card ICICI HPCL coral credit card (chargeable), later icici converted that card to a lifetime free hpcl coral credit card and I'm still holding that one 😄

Last edited:
What was your limit when you got upgraded to DCB?
Did you receive a pre approved LTF offer?
My limit was about 4L, I think.
I did not get DCB via LTF upgrade though. I got the upgrade back in Feb this year, when HDFC had just opened issuing the credit cards again. I got it via HDFC premier institute program. My card also has the name of my undergrad institute.

I think two criteria helped - premier institute and satisfying the ITR limit.

My limit was about 4L, I think.
I did not get DCB via LTF upgrade though. I got the upgrade back in Feb this year, when HDFC had just opened issuing the credit cards again. I got it via HDFC premier institute program. My card also has the name of my undergrad institute.

I think two criteria helped - premier institute and satisfying the ITR limit.
Can you please share the premier institute list, if you have it somewhere and what was your ITR at that point of time?

Can you please share the premier institute list, if you have it somewhere and what was your ITR at that point of time?
Oh damn, I just saw this list about an hour ago. But can't find it in my history now. Per my understanding, all the Tier 1 MBA (IIMs, FMS, NITIE etc. )and Engineering colleges (IITs and BITS, not sure about NIT) are included. Even in that list, at the end it says more colleges are eligible which aren't listed here.
Best to contact the bank to ask if you qualify.

My ITR was 26L back then.

Iam using HDFC money back card Since 9 years. can i upgrade to Millennia credit card? and if upgrade will i lose experience of this 9 years for Cibil score
The age reported to CIBIL should not get affected in case of an upgrade.

My regalia (obtained in 2019) got upgraded to DCB in 2021. Yet the age of my HDFC card shows 3 years in OneScore's CIBIL section.

I opened a regular savings account (10,000 MAB) with HDFC in May 2021. Always maintained 10,000 and made almost all transactions in millennia debit card. I was offered with pre-approved moneyback+ credit card with 48,000 limit in Jan 2022. I was just starting my career. So availed it. Also, it helped in building my credit score.

Last edited:
I have a salary account with Citi since 2001 and my first credit card was Citi rewards in 2006 which was offered by Citibank as LTF.

But I closed it within a year since they charged me transaction fees for withdrawing some cash using credit card 🙃... This was all new to me and I got scared....so I thought it's always better to use a debit card.

Citi again offered me another card in 2008 which I have till date.

I have 7 cards now, acquired over a span of 14 years:

2008 - Citi Cashback - LTF - 10 Lac
2016 - HDFC Regalia First - LTF - 8 Lac
2018 - Amex MRCC - (spend-based waiver) - 4 Lac
2019- ICICI Amazon Pay - LTF - 8 Lac
2020 - OneCard Federal Bank - LTF - 9 Lac
2020 - Axis Vistara Infinite - 10k fee- 1 Lac
2021 - Axis Flipkart - LTF - 2.62 Lac

Last edited:
I have a salary account with Citi since 2001 and my first credit card was Citi rewards in 2006 which was offered by Citibank as LTF.

But I closed it within a year since they charged me transaction fees for withdrawing some cash using credit card 🙃... This was all new to me and I got scared....so I thought it's always better to use a debit card.

Citi again offered me another card in 2008 which I have till date.

I have 7 cards now, acquired over a span of 14 years:

2008 - Citi Cashback - LTF - 10 Lac
2016 - HDFC Regalia First - LTF - 8 Lac
2018 - Amex MRCC - (spend-based waiver) - 4 Lac
2019- ICICI Amazon Pay - LTF - 8 Lac
2020 - OneCard Federal Bank - LTF - 9 Lac
2020 - Axis Vistara Infinite - 10k fee- 1 Lac
2021 - Axis Flipkart - LTF - 2.62 Lac
Citi Cashback LTF how? Which network the card is on? 😶‍🌫️

Citi Cashback LTF how? Which network the card is on? 😶‍🌫️
Mastercard. They gave it to me 2006 based on the existing salary account relationship. Maybe they had a promo for existing customers back then.

The application was completed over a phone call where I had to just say “I agree” to every statement they said over a recorded line. I guess the concept of kyc was non existent in those days :-)

I got my 1st LTF Citi bank Cash bank credit card in 2011. I opened a salary account with Citi. Recently I got AU bank (Zenith) LTF & IDFC wealth Credit card LTF.

Hello every,
The first credit card is special for everyone. We all remember the experience of getting our first card 😃
Let's share our first credit card experience...
My experience-
My first credit card was ICICI HPCL Coral, which I received in 2015. My home address at that time did not fall within any bank's serviceable area, so they asked me to apply for credit card against FD. But I needed an unsecured credit card, so I talked to my branch manager and I told him I needed an unsecured card.
He told me that... we can give you an unsecured card but for that you have to purchase an ICICI Prudential Ulip policy of Rs. 2 lakhs (minimum).
At that time I desperately needed a credit card because my business was in USA and I needed a credit card for its payment. I was unemployed that time with zero CIBIL score, No bank was offering me a credit card so I had purchased a policy of two lakh rupees at that time and got my first ever credit card ICICI HPCL coral credit card (chargeable), later icici converted that card to a lifetime free hpcl coral credit card and I'm still holding that one 😄
Wow!! My first card is also ICICI HPCL Coral Card.

But still they didn't made it LTF.
How can I make it LTF

My First credit card was from SBI in 2010 end.I was going for my BTech (Civil),so my mother did an FD for me and got me a card on my name.Had a limit of 80k(SBI Gold).She got me the card so she could track what spends i am doing and pay all my spends easily.Thanks to her idea,i became a miser 😂

Once i started my business after MTech, i got several cards, as of now i hold 17 cards, 12 LTF and rest are super premium cards (5k-30k)
How did. U get super premium cards ...... either they ask high ITR or limit.

I used to use zest money to build my credit score....then got 1.3lakh offer in Amazon ICICI....then took slice,uni,lazy,one card.....this year March I took Axis and I have 3 cards. Then applied for idfc got it

How did. U get super premium cards ...... either they ask high ITR or limit.

I used to use zest money to build my credit score....then got 1.3lakh offer in Amazon ICICI....then took slice,uni,lazy,one card.....this year March I took Axis and I have 3 cards. Then applied for idfc got it
I was a student when i got my first SBI card, it was SBI gold FD (Fixed deposit) card, which was gifted by mother on my name, not Add-on. Later i got internship at L&T as a student and some income via that.So i had to file ITR. Then i closed FD card and applied for normal Gold card, which i got immediately.Today i am a civil engineer with MTECH.Am a Business owner and stock market investor with a good ITR, so i got luxury cards now. I was a student nearly 8 yr ago. not now.

I was a student when i got my first SBI card, it was SBI gold FD (Fixed deposit) card, which was gifted by mother on my name, not Add-on. Later i got internship at L&T as a student and some income via that.So i had to file ITR. Then i closed FD card and applied for normal Gold card, which i got immediately.Today i am a civil engineer with MTECH.Am a Business owner and stock market investor with a good ITR, so i got luxury cards now. I was a student nearly 8 yr ago. not now.
Nice....I'm a stock investor also. And I file ITR. I fo get rent and some income. I use my cards for household spending

Back