• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Memory lane: your first credit card

Cardmarvel

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Just for fun: when did you get your first credit card and any experiences you would like to share.

I got mine about 25 years back. It was a Citibank credit card and they offered it on the college campus while we were still graduating. Those days card readers were physical machines where they would take imprints of the embossed credit card numbers (that's why credits card till recently had those) and ask you to sign for verification.

IRCTC was not born then. The VT (CST) station in Mumbai had 2 ticket counters which would only accept credit cards and 50 regular counters. We used to commute to VT to book our train tickets to avoid long queues :)

Last edited:

Cardmarvel

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I closed my card sometime in 2006 when Citibank started adding some 10-15 Rs towards some weird insurance policy. I requested them to stop doing that, but they did not agree. And often I used to forget paying that small amount (I wouldn't even use CC every month) and then Citi would charge me Rs 200-300 as late payment charge :-D

My next cards were from StanC and HSBC. Don't know if HSBC is even active these days in Indian market.

LTF Axis Myzone with 25k CL in 2018 with my salary account. I had the option to choose between ICICI/Axis salary accounts. Chose Axis as there was a branch nearby.

Never used my card much. Never got my limit increased till 2021. In 2021 got ICICI APay card with 1.6L CL - was shocked to see the generous limit from ICICI. Had I chosen ICICI, could have got better LEs.

Later joined this community, and learned a lot about credit cards here - got LE in Axis after much of emails.

krishc

TF Ace
I got it when I joined as a fresher from campus in my company in 2018.
They gave it to me with my salary account without any hassle(and LTF of course).
As you can understand I hadn't read all the 150-200 pages worth of doc I had signed or been given on the joining day, so I wasn't expecting a credit card until actually receiving it.

Last edited:

ak95

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
SBI Simplyclick - 2017 with a credit limit of 15k (I was in college back then... So never actually used it for almost a year)
Converted this card to LTF this year (thanks to TF Community)

Vineet_

TF Premier
From Jan 2021 I am continously excited with credit card products, its pro cons & benefits but due to lack of knowledge & belongs to 3 tier city its very difficult to get any cards even I was salaried from march 2020 but I was unable to get first I took ICICI secured credit card because my every application getting declined my first unsecured card received by axis on feb 2022 fk axis with paid after this they made ltf for sometime but I got just before even after multiple approaches axis didn't bother to convert ltf this card I got after 7 enquiry at the end I opened axis account with this in 4 months they offered me.

Cardmarvel

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Even though having the salary accounts with them after 9 failure attempts finally got HDFC Platinum Edge CC at 10th attempt in 2015.
The only time I was ever declined a card is when Hdfc refused to give me Infinia. It hurt a lot. So I can understand how difficult it must be to handle multiple rejections

Anshul Gupta

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Got HDFC Regalia with a credit limit of 1.8L in 2020 but with a twist.

I started my first job in the same year and opened my HDFC bank account (the first private bank account in my family; I still remember how I used to consider a 10k minimum balance account as a big deal just 2 years before graduating 🤣). Then I started reading about credit cards and got to know about INFINIA. It was the fantasy of owning this credit card down the line that made me apply for a credit card.

Finally applied for Regalia on a salary basis through the branch. The twist, however, is I instead got an HDFC Millenia. However, I thought Regalia is more premium than Millenia and would be easier to finally upgrade to Infinia in the future xD, so I requested my RM to get it changed to Regalia. She quickly got it sorted and I finally got Regalia delivered within the next 3-4 days.

It might be debatable though as to which one should I consider as my first credit card 😅