• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Your First Credit Card Story - How did you get your first credit card?

TechnoFinoTechnoFino is verified member.

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Hello every,
The first credit card is special for everyone. We all remember the experience of getting our first card 😃
Let's share our first credit card experience...
My experience-
My first credit card was ICICI HPCL Coral, which I received in 2015. My home address at that time did not fall within any bank's serviceable area, so they asked me to apply for credit card against FD. But I needed an unsecured credit card, so I talked to my branch manager and I told him I needed an unsecured card.
He told me that... we can give you an unsecured card but for that you have to purchase an ICICI Prudential Ulip policy of Rs. 2 lakhs (minimum).
At that time I desperately needed a credit card because my business was in USA and I needed a credit card for its payment. I was unemployed that time with zero CIBIL score, No bank was offering me a credit card so I had purchased a policy of two lakh rupees at that time and got my first ever credit card ICICI HPCL coral credit card (chargeable), later icici converted that card to a lifetime free hpcl coral credit card and I'm still holding that one 😄

Last edited:
My first credit card is ICICI Platinum with a 20k limit. it took 2 years to increase CL to 55k, then after 2lkh, hardly using this card. Currently having 7cards. In earlier days I was thinking a rich person can have a credit card. It's totally wrong, Only craving people have credit cards like us.;););););)

My story starts in 2018 back when I was in second year of my college, I got this Red Carpet card which is a Consumer Loan (didn't knew much about it), but it helped me build my cibil score. So I applied my first CC that was ICICI Amazon Pay Card after a year I started my job (in 2021). Initially got 80K limit in March 2021.
Now the limit on Amazon Pay Card is 4.9 Lakh
I also hold the following cards now ->
1. Kotak League Platinum (Limit 3.92 Lakh Got PreApproved in August 2021, Initial Limit was 85K)
2. One Card (80K Limit Pre Approved)
3. Flipkart Axis (73K Limit, applied for it)
4. HDFC Diners Privilege Card (Had the option for Millinea but went with this card, Limit 2.38 Lakh, got it in August 2022)

That's my journey, All Cards are unsecured

My story starts in 2018 back when I was in second year of my college, I got this Red Carpet card which is a Consumer Loan (didn't knew much about it), but it helped me build my cibil score. So I applied my first CC that was ICICI Amazon Pay Card after a year I started my job (in 2021). Initially got 80K limit in March 2021.
Now the limit on Amazon Pay Card is 4.9 Lakh
I also hold the following cards now ->
1. Kotak League Platinum (Limit 3.92 Lakh Got PreApproved in August 2021, Initial Limit was 85K)
2. One Card (80K Limit Pre Approved)
3. Flipkart Axis (73K Limit, applied for it)
4. HDFC Diners Privilege Card (Had the option for Millinea but went with this card, Limit 2.38 Lakh, got it in August 2022)

That's my journey, All Cards are unsecured
How and when did kotak increased your limit ?
How often you use kotak card ?
Any account in kotak ? If yes , how much balance did you maintain to get the offer ?

How and when did kotak increased your limit ?
How often you use kotak card ?
Any account in kotak ? If yes , how much balance did you maintain to get the offer ?
My Kotak Card limit has been increased twice since I got my card in August 2021, first to 1.9 Lakhs then recently to 3.92 Lakhs.
Yes I do have a Kotak Account it was initially a zero balance 811 account which I converted to EDGE account with MAB of 10k. The card is LTF and I used my kotak account for daily spends when it was an 811 account so I was spending about 3 to 4k a month.
I do use my kotak credit card. I purchased a phone through it since I was getting flat 8 thousand off, Though I immediately pay back any amount I use from my Credit Card

My Kotak Card limit has been increased twice since I got my card in August 2021, first to 1.9 Lakhs then recently to 3.92 Lakhs.
Yes I do have a Kotak Account it was initially a zero balance 811 account which I converted to EDGE account with MAB of 10k. The card is LTF and I used my kotak account for daily spends when it was an 811 account so I was spending about 3 to 4k a month.
I do use my kotak credit card. I purchased a phone through it since I was getting flat 8 thousand off, Though I immediately pay back any amount I use from my Credit Card
I too got a LTF league on my Kotak 811 in nov.2021
Limit was 28k , and still the same.

I don't use my account and card .
So i guess I'll have to start using them now and then to get the limit enhancement.

I got my first credit card from HDFC Bank around 2011 or 2012 as a pre-approved gold card without any hassle for my banking relationship with it. Later it got upgraded from time to time with enhanced credit limit and today it is with me in the form of INFINIA METAL Card with 15L limit.
After that, I took a lot of cards because I like different cards for different offers and I got most of the bank cards over time. Till now I have 15 cards after closing some cards. I have got the maximum number of cards available in my city as till now some banks are not available in my city.

Was working at an R&D centre of a global conglomerate. Daily multiple bank reps would come and sit at security gate asking want card? want card?

Gave documents to Citibank. They sent a letter saying I am not eligible.
Gave document to HDFC. They issued a Gold card or something, with 20,000 credit limit. This is in 2008. That was the only card I held till 2019 when I got ICICI Amazon Pay just for the amazon offers.

Never asked for credit limit enhancement or upgrades. All done voluntarily by HDFC till Regalia with 9.68 lakhs.
Never had to get in touch with them for anything. Everything was working properly.

Now after they upgraded me to DCB, I have emailed them back and forth probably 20 times for Infinia and they declined.

Thus ended my almost 15 year association with HDFC!

Was working at an R&D centre of a global conglomerate. Daily multiple bank reps would come and sit at security gate asking want card? want card?

Gave documents to Citibank. They sent a letter saying I am not eligible.
Gave document to HDFC. They issued a Gold card or something, with 20,000 credit limit. This is in 2008. That was the only card I held till 2019 when I got ICICI Amazon Pay just for the amazon offers.

Never asked for credit limit enhancement or upgrades. All done voluntarily by HDFC till Regalia with 9.68 lakhs.
Never had to get in touch with them for anything. Everything was working properly.

Now after they upgraded me to DCB, I have emailed them back and forth probably 20 times for Infinia and they declined.

Thus ended my almost 15 year association with HDFC!
You closed regalia ?

HDFC Infinia Metal. Got it around 2 weeks ago. I wasn't sure if I was eligible for it, since I don't meet the criteria mentioned here but talked to my RM and as per them I was Eligible. so I immediately applied for it through the link they sent and it was in my hand within a week. I was shocked with the packaging though, it was pretty neat.:D

HDFC Infinia Metal. Got it around 2 weeks ago. I wasn't sure if I was eligible for it, since I don't meet the criteria mentioned here but talked to my RM and as per them I was Eligible. so I immediately applied for it through the link they sent and it was in my hand within a week. I was shocked with the packaging though, it was pretty neat.:D
Which hdfc card did you had ? Its limit ? How much did you spent on it ?

Which account do you have? What is your salary pm?

Back