• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Application was cancelled

As suggested I made another call to confirm.. Now they are saying it is put on Hold and customer care executive has assigned my case to specialized team.. and they will revert back in 2-3 days.... will update

I am taking Indian Amex coz I have better credit history in India. :D
If they deny your application, you can ask the same question you asked me..
I.e. why do they have NRI status option if they don’t give card to NRIs.. and it will be interesting to see their answer

If they deny your application, you can ask the same question you asked me..
I.e. why do they have NRI status option if they don’t give card to NRIs.. and it will be interesting to see their answer
It's like the US visa application form, they ask you if you are a terrorist or have links to any terrorist organization.

They have the NRI status because it's a mandatory requirement by RBI to have the tax status of the resident. Amex wouldn't generally issue you the card as you are a NRI. I can't divergence exact details on why and how, but it's an AML policy from RBI. Extremely rare cases on banks guarantee, the NRI cards are issued.

They have the NRI status because it's a mandatory requirement by RBI to have the tax status of the resident. Amex wouldn't generally issue you the card as you are a NRI. I can't divergence exact details on why and how, but it's an AML policy from RBI. Extremely rare cases on banks guarantee, the NRI cards are issued.
Thanks for the info

2nd part is not true.. As per RBI notification they are allowed to issue Credit card on condition that payment should be from NRE / NRO account.

Below snippet from RBI - AP (DIR Series) Circular No.40

It is clarified that authorised dealers may issue ICCs to NRIs/PIOs, without prior approval of the Reserve Bank, subject to the condition that charges on the use of ICCs should be settled by the concerned NRIs/PIOs, only out of inward remittances or balances held in their Non-Resident External (NRE) Accounts/ Foreign Currency Non-Resident (FCNR) Accounts.

2nd part is not true.. As per RBI notification they are allowed to issue Credit card on condition that payment should be from NRE / NRO account.

Below snippet from RBI - AP (DIR Series) Circular No.40

It is clarified that authorised dealers may issue ICCs to NRIs/PIOs, without prior approval of the Reserve Bank, subject to the condition that charges on the use of ICCs should be settled by the concerned NRIs/PIOs, only out of inward remittances or balances held in their Non-Resident External (NRE) Accounts/ Foreign Currency Non-Resident (FCNR) Accounts.
Now tha you know the reason, the exact problem is the source of payment. There's no easy way for banks to track the source of payment in NRE/NRO or to even keep tracking the payments and hence most don't issue the cards, but it's not a blanket ban. Some do issue. The general notion is to not issue.

PS- I am from the policy side of business, have practical experience.

Another Update - Last time when I was asking Amex customer care regarding why you guys have cancelled my application ? They said it is not cancelled but they will forward my case to specialized team. As soon as i disconnected call i received another email from Amex with subject " vishal verma, your American Express application is incomplete" So I clicked on linked and filled all details next day I received another email for "Video KYC". I already did my video kyc initially, but they are again asking for vKYC. Now since im out of India so can't do the vKYC and vkyc email contains another reference number (a new reference number).

Issue is

1. I applied using Amex referral link - So am i still eligle for benefits if reference number is changed?
  2. Can I skip kyc as I already did but again received email for vKYC?
  3. They did cibil enquiry twice :mad: for same application.. where to email to remove cibil enquiry ?
  4. How long (days) my application will be in system for vKYC before resetting as I am out of India and will be back after 15 days?
thanks

Hi, All,

Applied AMex MRCC, done video KYC, and received email that " We have reviewed your application and noticed that the documents you submitted are incomplete. As a result, your application has been put on hold. In order to help you complete the application process, please call us at 1-800-419-2122. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to speaking with you soon."

I called toll free after 1 hour and customer care said your application is cancelled. And said you need to apply again do all procedure again. So that means another cibil enquiry.

Just want to know Is it possible to get my application processed without applying again or get my initial cibil enquiry revoked ?

thanks
Bro call customer care and tell him to cancel this appliaction and apply again so that you will get approval in 1 day. Same thing happened with me twice. So dont worry.

Back