• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Reopens Closed Card After Months Claiming Priority Pass Usage. HEADACHE

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
A long thread, but summary is: I closed Axis Samsung Infinite card in January 2024. Got an email confirming the card is permanently closed. Final statement showed 0 dues. Then 27th March the card is visible again in the app and I get an email saying I have used priority pass on 28 September 2023 so I have to pay 1600rs. I asked clarification on the transaction (because I have priority pass of Infinia, Reserve too and do not recall using Samsung card priority pass). Since then headache going on. For details please read on:
EDIT: I have no problems paying the amount. Infact if the issue is not resolved in few days, I will pay the amount within due date. My query/concern/issue is that after confirming card closure in Jan, again they say in April they have received card closure request. Terms and conditions say priority pass use charges will be charged within 90 days. But they end up charging me after 180 days.

1. I had an Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Credit card ending. The card came with Priority Pass membership which had 06 complementary international lounge visits as communicated in MITC.

2. Later, when Axis mentioned that Priority pass cannot be used for lounges in India, I wrote to clarify the same and was informed that Priority Pass can be used in International lounges located in India.
1712905858173.png

3. On 28 September 2023, I traveled from Chennai to Singapore. At that time I used my various Priority pass to enter the international lounge at Chennai.

4. I closed the Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card which is confirmed by Axis Bank on 9 January 2024, that the card is permanently de-activated.
1712906081988.png

6. Now, out of the blue, on 2nd April, axis bank sends this mail saying they have received my request for cancellation of card and my card is temporarily blocked. The mail does not specify the card number but has an attachment.

1712906149015.png

7. The attachment however mentions the card number and says there is outstanding amount of Rs.1682.11. The letter also says the card is temporarily blocked on 27 March, whereas it was already permanently closed in January 2024
1712906221726.png

8. When I wrote to Axis bank to get clarity, the response was that I used my "credit card"
1712906286428.png

9. When I replied to them asking for clarity, hilariously they say there is no transaction on 28 September and they ask me for last four digits of card when they themselves have mentioned the card number in the first line and my query was regarding priority pass usage being billed to a closed card.

1712906347252.png

After the above interaction, I wrote to PNO, CNO with all details. Got a call from their office last Saturday. Surprisingly they did not have any idea that Axis bank priority pass has complementary usage. They said oh is it, let me check etc etc. Then they said my card was never closed and was only temporarily blocked. When I said I have email from Axis confirming permanent closure, they say we are not aware of that our system says temporarily blocked. I gave them two options: Tell me why I was charged for international lounge use when I have complementary access AND why a permanently closed card is reopened. There is no response since. Today statement is generated for this Samsung Infinite card with outstanding amount for that priority pass use.

Looking for tips on what to do next. Thank you!

Last edited:

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
@Zacobite This is the timeline of events:

1. December 2023 I call axis customer care to upgrade/downgrade my Samsung Infinite card to Atlas card. The process was done and the card was upgraded, I got confirmation of the same clearly stating "Samsung Infinite card upgraded to Atlas card".
1712908880376.png

2. Next day I got a call from the same agent I spoke to on phone, that she did a mistake and the Atlas card was taken as new card request and asked me to send a mail to customer care.

2. I sent an email to customer care on 6th January 2024, asking to close the samsung infinite card.
1712908972472.png

3. Next day,on 7th January 2024, I got the following reply acknowledging request for cancellation of the card. The mail also says I will receive cancellation letter within 15 working days.

1712909038032.png

4. The day after that, on 9th January 2024, axis mailed me giving reference to service request number of card cancellation request and saying the request is closed on 8 Jan 2024 and card is permanently deactivated. Post this I got one normal credit card statement saying outstanding is 0.
1712909115962.png

After this confirmation mail, the Samsung infinite card disappeared from my Axis bank app. And the next mail related to this was on 2nd April with subject line saying Card Cancellation Request and the attachment that said they have received my card cancellation request. Please note that I had not made any other card cancellation request after 6th January.
1712909242963.png
i understood.. so i am saying its a perfect case for rbi and u to claim compensation.. + noc was a suggestion.. i got it when i close AVI.. like closing a loan.. email will do.. but that letter is better.. but technically you have to pay the due and then fight.. and get more!!

Last edited:

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yup. Right now, it's better to pay and then contest with them whether those lounge access were complimentary or not.

If PP use was chargeable, they should have charged you within 90 days and if the charge settlement between PP and bank extended beyond this, they should have captured this during card closure as PP use in September was almost 90 days ago from card closure date.
Hey could you share the link for this document?

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Priority pass usage is chargeable in India. While you have the email, it only says that Priority pass is "usable". It does not say it is complementary in Indian lounge. It is complimentary in international lounge located outside of India

Bank can also charge you and recover the dues at later date as per T&C. Think about both these points and choose your battle. Call is yours

bitsst

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Samsung Infinite Card comes with Priority Pass that has 6 complementary lounge access. I do not recall using it as I have Infinite/Reserve, but even assuming I used it, why is the bank charging me for use in an international lounge? That too after 6 months?

I have no problem paying it if they prove that it is a genuine charge.
In my opinion, you should pay the dues first and then keep on fighting the case, else it will have a dent on your CIBIL Score.

Just to provide you a 360 deg feedback, there was some grabdeals cashback posted on my closed axis select card, 3 months after it was closed. A statement was generated to show the credit. On a request over email, Axis Bank transferred that amount to my savings account.

The disputes can always be settled subsequently.

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Priority pass usage is chargeable in India. While you have the email, it only says that Priority pass is "usable". It does not say it is complementary in Indian lounge. It is complimentary in international lounge located outside of India

Bank can also charge you and recover the dues at later date as per T&C. Think about both these points and choose your battle. Call is yours
In that case, why do they specifically mention "can use it in International Lounge within India as well as outside India", could have as well mentioned any lounge that accepts Priority pass.
Thank you..but it is for Axis Select card. The bank can claim it is different for different cards. I could not find similar 90 days timeline for Samsung Infinite card..

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
When u say u used it for Chennai to Singapore lounge, was it before immigration at Chennai or after immigration?

If it is after immigration, it counts as international (free access) at least for Axis Magnus, unless lounge guys mixed up the swipe machines with one in domestic side.

Also, did u use guest access by any chance?

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Yeah, this sounds a possibility for the charges. The mail from Bank doesn't explicitly mentions about complimentary usage in international terminals in India.

From bank's perspective, they might state that they are just clarifying that PP is usable in those lounges.

The usage of words from bank's end in indicating international terminal in India and then international lounges for complimentary pass is to be noted.

I think it's just about proving that lounges in international terminal in India classify as international lounge to the bank 😂

Last edited:

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
When u say u used it for Chennai to Singapore lounge, was it before immigration at Chennai or after immigration?

If it is after immigration, it counts as international (free access) at least for Axis Magnus, unless lounge guys mixed up the swipe machines with one in domestic side.

Also, did u use guest access by any chance?
It is airside. Total 3 of us accessed the lounge: Wife with her Priority pass from Infinia, me with my priority pass from Infinia, kid with priority pass (most probably Priority pass from Reserve, else from Samsung Infinite). No guests.

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
In that case, why do they specifically mention "can use it in International Lounge within India as well as outside India", could have as well mentioned any lounge that accepts Priority pass.
"you can use it in International Lounge within India as well as outside India" can also mean that the lounge will accept PP and will allow you to use the facilies. That does not mean that your access is complimentary.

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
It is airside. Total 3 of us accessed the lounge: Wife with her Priority pass from Infinia, me with my priority pass from Infinia, kid with priority pass (most probably Priority pass from Reserve, else from Samsung Infinite). No guests.
Then just reply to them saying it is international lounge access and complimentary with priority pass. U can raise to RBI Ombudsman, if pno is not listening.

Do pay ur dues before due date to avoid impact on cibil. U can get refund back later.

drsel

TF Legend
Whenever you are in an International Lounge located within India you should always use an Indian debit or credit card giving you Lounge access and see if it is accepted.
Then you will get a charge slip of Rs 2 or 25.
This confirms it

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Same happened to my samsung infinite which was closed on dec 2023.
On march 27th 2024, pp usage fee was charged for pp use on sep 29th 2023 at an international lounge(outside india)

I have raised a SR to pno axis on march 29th but no progress so far.
I have anyway paid the fees to avoid any credit report issues.
Screenshot_20240412_170019_Samsung Notes.jpg
Lol then it's most likely only for closed cards😅. Usually they debit and credit next day. For closed cards, only debit is allowed 🤦‍♂️.

kvndsz512

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I have already told you that this email is incorrect. That is why you have been charged. Read my post carefully.
as per his ss it's for magnus and reserve so possible those can be used in India just like infinia pp can be used in India no charges

but the original post has pp of Samsung infinite maybe Samsung infinite is not usable in India that's why he is charged

kvndsz512

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Please read second paragraph. If the lounge is located in international terminal within India, it is considered international lounge
1712905858173-png.49547
ur ss mentions magnus and reserve but here u have been charged for Samsung infinite cc's pp.. only few cc's pp are not charged if used in India be it domestic or international side.

so i guess u will have to pay it and move on no point fighting i guess.. it will be just a waste of time

shashankrt

TF Premier
Please read second paragraph. If the lounge is located in international terminal within India, it is considered international lounge
No its not. This is common misconception. Basically any lounges on Indian Soil are considered domestic lounges and PP (except infinia) are charged. That's why its safe to assume that never use any PP in India especially where direct credit cards are accepted.

bing1309

TF Premier
you did not get the credit card loan account closure pdf. you just got deactivation mail which is just a card not an account, hence now also you can pay to the same card. but priority pass usage wont come out of blue check your side and who used or had access to the card

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No its not. This is common misconception. Basically any lounges on Indian Soil are considered domestic lounges and PP (except infinia) are charged. That's why its safe to assume that never use any PP in India especially where direct credit cards are accept

What does "International Lounge" in India mean as per PP T&C of Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card?
IMG_20240412_183510.jpg
Although the context of mentioning International Lounge in above sheet is different but prima facie as per the bank, for this particular card, they have clearly differentiated between Domestic Lounge and International Lounges on Indian Soil and the guest charges are also different.

Attachments

• priority-pass-membership-on-samsung (2).pdf
    321 KB · Views: 0