• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Reopens Closed Card After Months Claiming Priority Pass Usage. HEADACHE

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
A long thread, but summary is: I closed Axis Samsung Infinite card in January 2024. Got an email confirming the card is permanently closed. Final statement showed 0 dues. Then 27th March the card is visible again in the app and I get an email saying I have used priority pass on 28 September 2023 so I have to pay 1600rs. I asked clarification on the transaction (because I have priority pass of Infinia, Reserve too and do not recall using Samsung card priority pass). Since then headache going on. For details please read on:
EDIT: I have no problems paying the amount. Infact if the issue is not resolved in few days, I will pay the amount within due date. My query/concern/issue is that after confirming card closure in Jan, again they say in April they have received card closure request. Terms and conditions say priority pass use charges will be charged within 90 days. But they end up charging me after 180 days.

1. I had an Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Credit card ending. The card came with Priority Pass membership which had 06 complementary international lounge visits as communicated in MITC.

2. Later, when Axis mentioned that Priority pass cannot be used for lounges in India, I wrote to clarify the same and was informed that Priority Pass can be used in International lounges located in India.
1712905858173.png

3. On 28 September 2023, I traveled from Chennai to Singapore. At that time I used my various Priority pass to enter the international lounge at Chennai.

4. I closed the Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card which is confirmed by Axis Bank on 9 January 2024, that the card is permanently de-activated.
1712906081988.png

6. Now, out of the blue, on 2nd April, axis bank sends this mail saying they have received my request for cancellation of card and my card is temporarily blocked. The mail does not specify the card number but has an attachment.

1712906149015.png

7. The attachment however mentions the card number and says there is outstanding amount of Rs.1682.11. The letter also says the card is temporarily blocked on 27 March, whereas it was already permanently closed in January 2024
1712906221726.png

8. When I wrote to Axis bank to get clarity, the response was that I used my "credit card"
1712906286428.png

9. When I replied to them asking for clarity, hilariously they say there is no transaction on 28 September and they ask me for last four digits of card when they themselves have mentioned the card number in the first line and my query was regarding priority pass usage being billed to a closed card.

1712906347252.png

After the above interaction, I wrote to PNO, CNO with all details. Got a call from their office last Saturday. Surprisingly they did not have any idea that Axis bank priority pass has complementary usage. They said oh is it, let me check etc etc. Then they said my card was never closed and was only temporarily blocked. When I said I have email from Axis confirming permanent closure, they say we are not aware of that our system says temporarily blocked. I gave them two options: Tell me why I was charged for international lounge use when I have complementary access AND why a permanently closed card is reopened. There is no response since. Today statement is generated for this Samsung Infinite card with outstanding amount for that priority pass use.

Looking for tips on what to do next. Thank you!

Last edited:

Shubham Yadav

TF Legend
A long thread, but summary is: I closed Axis Samsung Infinite card in January 2024. Got an email confirming the card is permanently closed. Final statement showed 0 dues. Then 27th March the card is visible again in the app and I get an email saying I have used priority pass on 28 September 2023 so I have to pay 1600rs. I asked clarification on the transaction (because I have priority pass of Infinia, Reserve too and do not recall using Samsung card priority pass). Since then headache going on. For details please read on:

1. I had an Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Credit card ending. The card came with Priority Pass membership which had 06 complementary international lounge visits as communicated in MITC.

2. Later, when Axis mentioned that Priority pass cannot be used for lounges in India, I wrote to clarify the same and was informed that Priority Pass can be used in International lounges located in India.
1712905858173.png

3. On 28 September 2023, I traveled from Chennai to Singapore. At that time I used my various Priority pass to enter the international lounge at Chennai.

4. I closed the Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card which is confirmed by Axis Bank on 9 January 2024, that the card is permanently de-activated.
1712906081988.png

6. Now, out of the blue, on 2nd April, axis bank sends this mail saying they have received my request for cancellation of card and my card is temporarily blocked. The mail does not specify the card number but has an attachment.

1712906149015.png

7. The attachment however mentions the card number and says there is outstanding amount of Rs.1682.11. The letter also says the card is temporarily blocked on 27 March, whereas it was already permanently closed in January 2024
1712906221726.png

8. When I wrote to Axis bank to get clarity, the response was that I used my "credit card"
1712906286428.png

9. When I replied to them asking for clarity, hilariously they say there is no transaction on 28 September and they ask me for last four digits of card when they themselves have mentioned the card number in the first line and my query was regarding priority pass usage being billed to a closed card.

1712906347252.png

After the above interaction, I wrote to PNO, CNO with all details. Got a call from their office last Saturday. Surprisingly they did not have any idea that Axis bank priority pass has complementary usage. They said oh is it, let me check etc etc. Then they said my card was never closed and was only temporarily blocked. When I said I have email from Axis confirming permanent closure, they say we are not aware of that our system says temporarily blocked. I gave them two options: Tell me why I was charged for international lounge use when I have complementary access AND why a permanently closed card is reopened. There is no response since. Today statement is generated for this Samsung Infinite card with outstanding amount for that priority pass use.

Banking system ki aise durdasha h

ki word hi nhi mere pass

Hadd h yrr

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
deactivated and blocked are the same thing, but doesn't mean closure

how did you request closure request, on call or via mail ?

Axis may tell you that your card was blocked on 9th Jan when you asked (so that you won't be able to spend anything), but the bank waited for any such charges. They would close once it has been paid off. When the timeline ended (approx 3 months), they checked and PP had added the charges.

Check axis MITC (and T&C) regarding PP charges. Usually they define until when the PP charges would be applied on the card (30/45/90 days). If gap between 28th Sept 2023 and 9th Jan 2024 is more than the defined timeperiod, then you can complaint to RBI that they added the charges after the card was closed (and the time period had also gone).

RBI rule says that any cancellation request must be completed within 7 working days. If not done withint he timeframe, then the Bank would be liable to pay Rs.500 per day, after 7 days for delay to the customer. Someone had received around 45k as compensation from Axis via RBI as the card closure took more time.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

1712905858173.png

1712906081988.png

1712906149015.png

1712906221726.png

1712906286428.png

1712906347252.png

wonderful case for RBI and compensation.. Any CC when closed has to be followed by an NOC / No dues letter as well.. Did you get that.. pls ensure for any card closure.. that is the final doc saying it is permanently closed

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
deactivated and blocked are the same thing, but doesn't mean closure

how did you request closure request, on call or via mail ?

Axis may tell you that your card was blocked on 9th Jan when you asked (so that you won't be able to spend anything), but the bank waited for any such charges. They would close once it has been paid off. When the timeline ended (approx 3 months), they checked and PP had added the charges.

Check axis MITC (and T&C) regarding PP charges. Usually they define until when the PP charges would be applied on the card (30/45/90 days). If gap between 28th Sept 2023 and 9th Jan 2024 is more than the defined timeperiod, then you can complaint to RBI that they added the charges after the card was closed (and the time period had also gone).

RBI rule says that any cancellation request must be completed within 7 working days. If not done withint he timeframe, then the Bank would be liable to pay Rs.500 per day, after 7 days for delay to the customer. Someone had received around 45k as compensation from Axis via RBI as the card closure took more time.
@Zacobite This is the timeline of events:

1. December 2023 I call axis customer care to upgrade/downgrade my Samsung Infinite card to Atlas card. The process was done and the card was upgraded, I got confirmation of the same clearly stating "Samsung Infinite card upgraded to Atlas card".
1712908880376.png

2. Next day I got a call from the same agent I spoke to on phone, that she did a mistake and the Atlas card was taken as new card request and asked me to send a mail to customer care.

2. I sent an email to customer care on 6th January 2024, asking to close the samsung infinite card.
1712908972472.png

3. Next day,on 7th January 2024, I got the following reply acknowledging request for cancellation of the card. The mail also says I will receive cancellation letter within 15 working days.

1712909038032.png

4. The day after that, on 9th January 2024, axis mailed me giving reference to service request number of card cancellation request and saying the request is closed on 8 Jan 2024 and card is permanently deactivated. Post this I got one normal credit card statement saying outstanding is 0.
1712909115962.png

After this confirmation mail, the Samsung infinite card disappeared from my Axis bank app. And the next mail related to this was on 2nd April with subject line saying Card Cancellation Request and the attachment that said they have received my card cancellation request. Please note that I had not made any other card cancellation request after 6th January.
1712909242963.png

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
@Zacobite This is the timeline of events:

1. December 2023 I call axis customer care to upgrade/downgrade my Samsung Infinite card to Atlas card. The process was done and the card was upgraded, I got confirmation of the same clearly stating "Samsung Infinite card upgraded to Atlas card".
1712908880376.png

2. Next day I got a call from the same agent I spoke to on phone, that she did a mistake and the Atlas card was taken as new card request and asked me to send a mail to customer care.

2. I sent an email to customer care on 6th January 2024, asking to close the samsung infinite card.
1712908972472.png

3. Next day,on 7th January 2024, I got the following reply acknowledging request for cancellation of the card. The mail also says I will receive cancellation letter within 15 working days.

1712909038032.png

4. The day after that, on 9th January 2024, axis mailed me giving reference to service request number of card cancellation request and saying the request is closed on 8 Jan 2024 and card is permanently deactivated. Post this I got one normal credit card statement saying outstanding is 0.
1712909115962.png

After this confirmation mail, the Samsung infinite card disappeared from my Axis bank app. And the next mail related to this was on 2nd April with subject line saying Card Cancellation Request and the attachment that said they have received my card cancellation request. Please note that I had not made any other card cancellation request after 6th January.
1712909242963.png
If u used it pay it else u will loose on intrest+ overdue on old cc cibil report .
So pay & get over

Then fight via rbi
On the line that they closed card without checking and so onnn

VISHESH_BANSAL

TF Pioneer
"Any transactions incurred by the Cardmember Prior to the closure of card, and which is presented / claimed at a later point by the merchant shall be billed to the Cardmember for effecting necessary payments towards such
transactions. The Cardmember shall be is
obligated to pay for any transactions which were incurred prior to the closure date of the card and the Bank shall report these outstanding payments of the Cardmember to CICs, if unpaid."

This clause is the Part of the MITC of every Bank.

Closure doest not mean you are free from past txns Liability😂

Even SBI sent me the Statement of Closed Card when SBI Debited RPs of Instant Discount Txns done Before Closure of Credit Card.

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
"Any transactions incurred by the Cardmember Prior to the closure of card, and which is presented / claimed at a later point by the merchant shall be billed to the Cardmember for effecting necessary payments towards such
transactions. The Cardmember shall be is
obligated to pay for any transactions which were incurred prior to the closure date of the card and the Bank shall report these outstanding payments of the Cardmember to CICs, if unpaid."

This clause is the Part of the MITC of every Bank.

Closure doest not mean you are free from past txns Liability😂

Even SBI sent me the Statement of Closed Card when SBI Debited RPs of Instant Discount Txns done Before Closure of Credit Card.
Samsung Infinite Card comes with Priority Pass that has 6 complementary lounge access. I do not recall using it as I have Infinite/Reserve, but even assuming I used it, why is the bank charging me for use in an international lounge? That too after 6 months?

I have no problem paying it if they prove that it is a genuine charge.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I don't know why people have this confusion. Priority Pass usage in any lounge located in India is chargeable. Simply being located in international departures section doesn't make it an international lounge. International means outside India like in London, Dubai or New York, not in international departures at Delhi or Bombay. The section says 'international departures' meaning you go abroad in an aircraft from there. It doesn't mean you are already abroad when you enter international departure area.

Regardless of what any email says, don't use Priority Pass within India unless you have a card like Infinia which specifically allows it. Use the credit card directly within India.

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I don't know why people have this confusion. Priority Pass usage in any lounge located in India is chargeable. Simply being located in international departures section doesn't make it an international lounge. International means outside India like in London, Dubai or New York, not in international departures at Delhi or Bombay. Regardless of what any email says, don't use Priority Pass within India unless you have a card like Infinia which specifically allows it. Use the credit card directly within India.
Please read second paragraph. If the lounge is located in international terminal within India, it is considered international lounge
1712905858173-png.49547

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have already told you that this email is incorrect. That is why you have been charged. Read my post carefully.
As far as I am concerned, bank has informed me I can use it. Now if bank says I have to pay, they have to agree that they gave wrong information. Then it will be a different case. If it is a case of confusing language /terms and condition it would be one thing. Here they categorically mention it can be used.

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If u used it pay it else u will loose on intrest+ overdue on old cc cibil report .
So pay & get over

Then fight via rbi
On the line that they closed card without checking and so onnn
Yup. Right now, it's better to pay and then contest with them whether those lounge access were complimentary or not.

If PP use was chargeable, they should have charged you within 90 days and if the charge settlement between PP and bank extended beyond this, they should have captured this during card closure as PP use in September was almost 90 days ago from card closure date.

Attachments

• IMG_20240412_140324.jpg
    IMG_20240412_140324.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 17

cardy

TF Ace
Since the statement has been generated in my opinion you should first pay the due within the due date. Otherwise it will be destroying your credit score and report. Then it will take another complete ancient stone age to recover from it. So pay the due.

Secondly make a complaint to refund the amount stating charges on closed card, attaching all the necessary documents.

Then on the same day send reminders to all the channels you have mailed previously adding a line to refund the amount.

You have to wait then , as per the replies received, take action. If a month crosses put it in RBI ombudsman.