• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Reopens Closed Card After Months Claiming Priority Pass Usage. HEADACHE

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
A long thread, but summary is: I closed Axis Samsung Infinite card in January 2024. Got an email confirming the card is permanently closed. Final statement showed 0 dues. Then 27th March the card is visible again in the app and I get an email saying I have used priority pass on 28 September 2023 so I have to pay 1600rs. I asked clarification on the transaction (because I have priority pass of Infinia, Reserve too and do not recall using Samsung card priority pass). Since then headache going on. For details please read on:
EDIT: I have no problems paying the amount. Infact if the issue is not resolved in few days, I will pay the amount within due date. My query/concern/issue is that after confirming card closure in Jan, again they say in April they have received card closure request. Terms and conditions say priority pass use charges will be charged within 90 days. But they end up charging me after 180 days.

1. I had an Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Credit card ending. The card came with Priority Pass membership which had 06 complementary international lounge visits as communicated in MITC.

2. Later, when Axis mentioned that Priority pass cannot be used for lounges in India, I wrote to clarify the same and was informed that Priority Pass can be used in International lounges located in India.
1712905858173.png

3. On 28 September 2023, I traveled from Chennai to Singapore. At that time I used my various Priority pass to enter the international lounge at Chennai.

4. I closed the Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card which is confirmed by Axis Bank on 9 January 2024, that the card is permanently de-activated.
1712906081988.png

6. Now, out of the blue, on 2nd April, axis bank sends this mail saying they have received my request for cancellation of card and my card is temporarily blocked. The mail does not specify the card number but has an attachment.

1712906149015.png

7. The attachment however mentions the card number and says there is outstanding amount of Rs.1682.11. The letter also says the card is temporarily blocked on 27 March, whereas it was already permanently closed in January 2024
1712906221726.png

8. When I wrote to Axis bank to get clarity, the response was that I used my "credit card"
1712906286428.png

9. When I replied to them asking for clarity, hilariously they say there is no transaction on 28 September and they ask me for last four digits of card when they themselves have mentioned the card number in the first line and my query was regarding priority pass usage being billed to a closed card.

1712906347252.png

After the above interaction, I wrote to PNO, CNO with all details. Got a call from their office last Saturday. Surprisingly they did not have any idea that Axis bank priority pass has complementary usage. They said oh is it, let me check etc etc. Then they said my card was never closed and was only temporarily blocked. When I said I have email from Axis confirming permanent closure, they say we are not aware of that our system says temporarily blocked. I gave them two options: Tell me why I was charged for international lounge use when I have complementary access AND why a permanently closed card is reopened. There is no response since. Today statement is generated for this Samsung Infinite card with outstanding amount for that priority pass use.

Looking for tips on what to do next. Thank you!

Last edited:

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Please share any document highlighting such relevant terms and conditions of Priority Pass pertaining to Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card.

I have based my conclusion which i am not denying might be incorrect but I have based them on the terms and conditions stated by Axis Bank for that card shared earlier from my side.

Also, on a side note, as per my understanding - contract law provides right to fair terms to offerree as those terms and conditions were framed by the Bank. Basically the advantage of any AMBIGUITY will be given to offerree (i.e customer) as Bank has framed the terms and even if it is signed and accepted by both parties.
See the attached HDFC document listing domestic lounges. Look at Delhi Terminal 3 Encalm lounge located in the international terminal and it is listed under domestic lounges which is correct. Same for Bombay and other airports. What is so difficult to understand? International means outside of the country. International terminals in Indian airports are located in India. It simply means you can catch International flights from there. Just like if you are catching a flight from Delhi to Bombay, you are still in Delhi, not Bombay when you are at the airport. If there were to be a special section dedicated to Bombay flights and called Bombay terminal, it wouldn't mean you are in Bombay when you enter that section at Delhi airport.

Attachments

• download (2).pdf
    162.2 KB · Views: 4

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
See the attached HDFC document listing domestic lounges. Look at Delhi Terminal 3 Encalm lounge located in the international terminal and it is listed under domestic lounges which is correct.

I am still not sure how does that list by HDFC Bank relates to Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card.

Reiterating, i have already shared the specific terms and conditions of that particular card from Axis Bank and the conclusions were deducted from all the data presented in that document.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I am still not sure how does that list by HDFC Bank relates to Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card.

Reiterating, i have already shared the specific terms and conditions of that particular card from Axis Bank and the conclusions were deducted from all the data presented in that document.
It clearly explains that all lounges located in international terminals in India are classified as domestic lounges. Same policy is followed by all banks. I don't even understand why there is any confusion here. International means overseas. Your Axis Bank document only stated that the Priority Pass can be used within India which is correct. It didn't state that its usage is free anywhere in India.

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
See the attached HDFC document listing domestic lounges. Look at Delhi Terminal 3 Encalm lounge located in the international terminal and it is listed under domestic lounges which is correct. Same for Bombay and other airports. What is so difficult to understand? International means outside of the country. International terminals in Indian airports are located in India. It simply means you can catch International flights from there. Just like if you are catching a flight from Delhi to Bombay, you are still in Delhi, not Bombay when you are at the airport. If there were to be a special section dedicated to Bombay flights and called Bombay terminal, it wouldn't mean you are in Bombay when you enter that section at Delhi airport.
No offense,but I request that you stop arguing about international terminal/lounge. If you feel what you are arguing about is correct, best wishes. Maybe next time when you are in a lounge located AFTER immigration stamping in a terminal building located within India, you can ask the staff whether it is international lounge or not.

Tejo

TF Legend
No offense,but I request that you stop arguing about international terminal/lounge. If you feel what you are arguing about is correct, best wishes. Maybe next time when you are in a lounge located AFTER immigration stamping in a terminal building located within India, you can ask the staff whether it is international lounge or not.
yar i think he his axis bank spy, so he was on axis side.

1 TF spy was caught .... 😅

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Also, i am sure while traveling abroad he would be paying all the duties while buying imported products in that area as per taxation law applicable in India.

As per my understanding, we cannot legally buy any imported products in India without import duties.

Also I am really surprised that funnily Indian Supreme Court recognises that area is beyond custom frontiers of India and still we have certain individuals believing that international airside is exactly same as domestic.

Last edited:

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Also, i am sure while traveling abroad he would be paying all the duties while buying imported products in that area as per taxation law applicable in India.

As per my understanding, we cannot legally buy any imported products in India without import duties.

Also I am really surprised that funnily Indian Supreme Court recognises that area is beyond custom frontiers of India and still we have certain individuals believing that international airside is exactly same as domestic.
Bizzare logic. Duty free shopping is also allowed on arrival. This doesn't mean Indian laws don't apply. If you buy some coffee or food in the international departures area, same GST applies on it. All Indian labour laws and other laws apply. There is absolutely no specific status granted to such areas. Don't become confused by simple duty free shopping available in one specific shop. When has the Supreme Court ever ruled that these areas are not considered a part of India or have any special status?

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I travel international almost every month. I have taken over 5 international flights in the past month alone. There is no reason for me to stop stating my view. Others can also stop the argument. You are the one confused. The lounge in that area is located in the international terminal but it IS a domestic lounge as it is located in India. I have shown you clear evidence in the form of an official document from the largest Indian credit card issuer but you want to blindly keep believing your flawed misconception and on top of it, you want the person stating the facts ro stop doing so. Unless you have clear evidence to the contrary, you are the one who should accept the evidence presented by me.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
You tried it, didn't you and you were charged!
By your logic, if I am taking a flight from San Francisco to Los Angeles and use a lounge at the domestic section of San Francisco Airport, it should not be considered an international lounge and Priority Pass should be chargeable! International means abroad. Period. Nowhere in India.

rogerthat

TF Ace
I think it is more like how Priority Pass identifies the lounge. They might be using country identifiers to determine the lounge.
  • If the lounge is situated in India, it is considered a domestic lounge regardless of the terminal.
  • If the lounge is located outside India it is considered an international lounge.
So if you swipe the Priority Pass at an international departures lounge, PP still identifies the swipe as {=IN} and charges you accordingly.
Just a theory, could be wrong.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I think it is more like how Priority Pass identifies the lounge. They might be using country identifiers to determine the lounge.
  • If the lounge is situated in India, it is considered a domestic lounge regardless of the terminal.
  • If the lounge is located outside India it is considered an international lounge.
So if you swipe the Priority Pass at an international departures lounge, PP still identifies the swipe as {=IN} and charges you accordingly.
You are completely correct. That's exactly how it is likely to be.

MilesMax

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
There is more to it than just country.
It also depends on the tie up with the bank and what they are offering.

Eg: Infinia priority pass is not charged irrespective of where you use.

Magnus priority pass as per customer care email can be used at international destinations, international terminals in India and few select domestic terminals (mentioned in pdf) without any changes.

hks789

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Same happened to my samsung infinite which was closed on dec 2023.
On march 27th 2024, pp usage fee was charged for pp use on sep 29th 2023 at an international lounge(outside india)

I have raised a SR to pno axis on march 29th but no progress so far.
I have anyway paid the fees to avoid any credit report issues.
Screenshot_20240412_170019_Samsung Notes.jpg
Axis reversed the fees and refunded it back to my sb account today.
I had raised an rbi ombudsman complaint yesterday.