• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Reopens Closed Card After Months Claiming Priority Pass Usage. HEADACHE

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
A long thread, but summary is: I closed Axis Samsung Infinite card in January 2024. Got an email confirming the card is permanently closed. Final statement showed 0 dues. Then 27th March the card is visible again in the app and I get an email saying I have used priority pass on 28 September 2023 so I have to pay 1600rs. I asked clarification on the transaction (because I have priority pass of Infinia, Reserve too and do not recall using Samsung card priority pass). Since then headache going on. For details please read on:
EDIT: I have no problems paying the amount. Infact if the issue is not resolved in few days, I will pay the amount within due date. My query/concern/issue is that after confirming card closure in Jan, again they say in April they have received card closure request. Terms and conditions say priority pass use charges will be charged within 90 days. But they end up charging me after 180 days.

1. I had an Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Credit card ending. The card came with Priority Pass membership which had 06 complementary international lounge visits as communicated in MITC.

2. Later, when Axis mentioned that Priority pass cannot be used for lounges in India, I wrote to clarify the same and was informed that Priority Pass can be used in International lounges located in India.
1712905858173.png

3. On 28 September 2023, I traveled from Chennai to Singapore. At that time I used my various Priority pass to enter the international lounge at Chennai.

4. I closed the Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card which is confirmed by Axis Bank on 9 January 2024, that the card is permanently de-activated.
1712906081988.png

6. Now, out of the blue, on 2nd April, axis bank sends this mail saying they have received my request for cancellation of card and my card is temporarily blocked. The mail does not specify the card number but has an attachment.

1712906149015.png

7. The attachment however mentions the card number and says there is outstanding amount of Rs.1682.11. The letter also says the card is temporarily blocked on 27 March, whereas it was already permanently closed in January 2024
1712906221726.png

8. When I wrote to Axis bank to get clarity, the response was that I used my "credit card"
1712906286428.png

9. When I replied to them asking for clarity, hilariously they say there is no transaction on 28 September and they ask me for last four digits of card when they themselves have mentioned the card number in the first line and my query was regarding priority pass usage being billed to a closed card.

1712906347252.png

After the above interaction, I wrote to PNO, CNO with all details. Got a call from their office last Saturday. Surprisingly they did not have any idea that Axis bank priority pass has complementary usage. They said oh is it, let me check etc etc. Then they said my card was never closed and was only temporarily blocked. When I said I have email from Axis confirming permanent closure, they say we are not aware of that our system says temporarily blocked. I gave them two options: Tell me why I was charged for international lounge use when I have complementary access AND why a permanently closed card is reopened. There is no response since. Today statement is generated for this Samsung Infinite card with outstanding amount for that priority pass use.

Looking for tips on what to do next. Thank you!

Last edited:

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
As far as I am concerned, bank has informed me I can use it. Now if bank says I have to pay, they have to agree that they gave wrong information. Then it will be a different case. If it is a case of confusing language /terms and condition it would be one thing. Here they categorically mention it can be used.
Yes, their email can be more clear. However, why are you misunderstanding a basic word like international? Let me ask you a question: let's say 2 people go through immigration at Delhi or Bombay airport. One is going to Paris and the other to New York. Both get together and beat up someone. Would they be arrested by Indian police and tried by Indian courts or would French or American police and courts act? Or would there be some international body like the UN? Obviously it will be Indian authorities as the location is in India. I repeat, international terminal simply means a place from where aircraft depart to foreign countries. It doesn't mean you are already abroad once you are there. So the only lounges considered international are those located outside of India. Do you get charged foreign transaction fee if you buy something at an international terminal in India? Obviously not. So please don't be confused.

bing1309

TF Premier
1000067845.jpg

I received the NOC pdf too. Even then they debited charges and not reversed yet.
Well it's clearly written below under please note: in my case no such point was mentioned. Then it's clear axis had knowledge there was a pending things or settlement pending hence given that point. So have to clear the due.

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yes, their email can be more clear. However, why are you misunderstanding a basic word like international? Let me ask you a question: let's say 2 people go through immigration at Delhi or Bombay airport. One is going to Paris and the other to New York. Both get together and beat up someone. Would they be arrested by Indian police and tried by Indian courts or would French or American police and courts act? Or would there be some international body like the UN? Obviously it will be Indian authorities as the location is in India. I repeat, international terminal simply means a place from where aircraft depart to foreign countries. It doesn't mean you are already abroad once you are there. So the only lounges considered international are those located outside of India. Do you get charged foreign transaction fee if you buy something at an international terminal in India? Obviously not. So please don't be confused.
img_20240412_183510-jpg.49600

MilesMax

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Magnus PP can be used at international terminals in India without any charges.
I don't think same applies for Samsung infinite.
Just like how infinia PP can used but Regalia PP is chargeable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_195356_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_195356_Gmail.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 8

hks789

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Well it's clearly written below under please note: in my case no such point was mentioned. Then it's clear axis had knowledge there was a pending things or settlement pending hence given that point. So have to clear the due.
Thats completely fine. I just mentioned w.r.t "you did not get the credit card loan account closure pdf."
The usual TAT for priority pass charges is 60-90 days as per them.
Charging for something happened over 6 months ago that too on a closed card seems bit over the board.
In case I missed the statement (which I was not expecting), this might have ruined my credit score.

kvndsz512

TF Select
VIP Lounge

Thats completely fine. I just mentioned w.r.t "you did not get the credit card loan account closure pdf."
The usual TAT for priority pass charges is 60-90 days as per them.
Charging for something happened over 6 months ago that too on a closed card seems bit over the board.
In case I missed the statement (which I was not expecting), this might have ruined my credit score.
yes but if u used something before closure ur liable to pay banks say and with that tnc they will surely win the fight.

Tejo

TF Legend
A long thread, but summary is: I closed Axis Samsung Infinite card in January 2024. Got an email confirming the card is permanently closed. Final statement showed 0 dues. Then 27th March the card is visible again in the app and I get an email saying I have used priority pass on 28 September 2023 so I have to pay 1600rs. I asked clarification on the transaction (because I have priority pass of Infinia, Reserve too and do not recall using Samsung card priority pass). Since then headache going on. For details please read on:
EDIT: I have no problems paying the amount. Infact if the issue is not resolved in few days, I will pay the amount within due date. My query/concern/issue is that after confirming card closure in Jan, again they say in April they have received card closure request. Terms and conditions say priority pass use charges will be charged within 90 days. But they end up charging me after 180 days.

1. I had an Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Credit card ending. The card came with Priority Pass membership which had 06 complementary international lounge visits as communicated in MITC.

2. Later, when Axis mentioned that Priority pass cannot be used for lounges in India, I wrote to clarify the same and was informed that Priority Pass can be used in International lounges located in India.
1712905858173.png

3. On 28 September 2023, I traveled from Chennai to Singapore. At that time I used my various Priority pass to enter the international lounge at Chennai.

4. I closed the Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card which is confirmed by Axis Bank on 9 January 2024, that the card is permanently de-activated.
1712906081988.png

6. Now, out of the blue, on 2nd April, axis bank sends this mail saying they have received my request for cancellation of card and my card is temporarily blocked. The mail does not specify the card number but has an attachment.

1712906149015.png

7. The attachment however mentions the card number and says there is outstanding amount of Rs.1682.11. The letter also says the card is temporarily blocked on 27 March, whereas it was already permanently closed in January 2024
1712906221726.png

8. When I wrote to Axis bank to get clarity, the response was that I used my "credit card"
1712906286428.png

9. When I replied to them asking for clarity, hilariously they say there is no transaction on 28 September and they ask me for last four digits of card when they themselves have mentioned the card number in the first line and my query was regarding priority pass usage being billed to a closed card.

1712906347252.png

After the above interaction, I wrote to PNO, CNO with all details. Got a call from their office last Saturday. Surprisingly they did not have any idea that Axis bank priority pass has complementary usage. They said oh is it, let me check etc etc. Then they said my card was never closed and was only temporarily blocked. When I said I have email from Axis confirming permanent closure, they say we are not aware of that our system says temporarily blocked. I gave them two options: Tell me why I was charged for international lounge use when I have complementary access AND why a permanently closed card is reopened. There is no response since. Today statement is generated for this Samsung Infinite card with outstanding amount for that priority pass use.

Looking for tips on what to do next. Thank you!
1712934169261.png

Axis has assumed, it was as domestic lounge in India.

If you raise issue at RBI BO, due to no evidence that it was international lounge or domestic lounge ..... It will be disposed.

Axis will say as card was closed, it was delayed to bill due to technical issues.

Advise:
1. Pay the due
2. Mail the customer support, with the card verification charge details ....while using card in lounge ... collect txn details
3. Google that lounge/txn details that it will come under international or not else compare with infinia txn
*** Hope you can argue at RBI BO, claiming for X card it will be international lounge but why for y card, it will be domestic lounge while cards are being swiped under same pos machine.

*I don't know much regarding lounges.... I tried my best.

ccdc

TF Ace
i used intl lounges via cc in India and via PP outside India....adding guests inmy magnus card....i got cancellation pdf and also the charges debited were reversed...

Attachments

• AXIS 1.JPG
    AXIS 1.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 15
  • AXIS.JPG
    AXIS.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 15

hks789

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
The lounge was located in India.
I was talking about my case. I too have the same incident but from another lounge outside india.
Same happened to my samsung infinite which was closed on dec 2023.
On march 27th 2024, pp usage fee was charged for pp use on sep 29th 2023 at an international lounge(outside india)

I have raised a SR to pno axis on march 29th but no progress so far.
I have anyway paid the fees to avoid any credit report issues.
Screenshot_20240412_170019_Samsung Notes.jpg

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

The area beyond immigration in airport called airside or international area is a bit slightly different in terms of legal existence which again varies from country to country with respect to travel laws and regulations and NOTHING Else. Rest all laws are applicable based on the country.

One example is Visa free transit given by some countries wherein you don't require a Visa if you don't exit the international area but you will need a Visa to step on that country's soil beyond International Area.

Second is duty free shops where duty is exempted for so many imported products whereas buying same products inside the country will attract duty as per taxation law.

I believe the key point is PP gives complementary access to International Lounges across World (no where it's mentioned that India excluded from that "World") and the lounges in international airport in India are termed as International Lounges as stated by the bank in their T&C sheet, so the visit has to be complimentary on usage of PP.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
The area beyond immigration in airport called airside or international area is a bit slightly different in terms of legal existence which again varies from country to country with respect to travel laws and regulations and NOTHING Else. Rest all laws are applicable based on the country.

One example is Visa free transit given by some countries wherein you don't require a Visa if you don't exit the international area but you will need a Visa to step on that country's soil beyond International Area.

Second is duty free shops where duty is exempted for so many imported products whereas buying same products inside the country will attract duty as per taxation law.

I believe the key point is PP gives complementary access to International Lounges across World (no where it's mentioned that India excluded from that "World") and the lounges in international airport in India are termed as International Lounges as stated by the bank in their T&C sheet, so the visit has to be complimentary on usage of PP.
Absolutely incorrect. No Priority Pass issued in India provides free access to any lounge located in India regardless of whether it is in the international terminal area. Absolutely all will be charged. Only exception is premium cards like Infinia which are free in ALL lounges in India regardless of where they are located. All lounges in India are considered domestic regardless of where they are located.

Reactions: SSV

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Absolutely incorrect. No Priority Pass issued in India provides free access to any lounge located in India regardless of whether it is in the international terminal area. Absolutely all will be charged. Only exception is premium cards like Infinia which are free in ALL lounges in India regardless of where they are located. All lounges in India are considered domestic regardless of where they are located.
Please share any document highlighting such relevant terms and conditions of Priority Pass pertaining to Axis Bank Samsung Infinite Card.

I have based my conclusion which i am not denying might be incorrect but I have based them on the terms and conditions stated by Axis Bank for that card shared earlier from my side.

Also, on a side note, as per my understanding - contract law provides right to fair terms to offerree as those terms and conditions were framed by the Bank. Basically the advantage of any AMBIGUITY will be given to offerree (i.e customer) as Bank has framed the terms and even if it is signed and accepted by both parties.

theflash

TF Select
Please read second paragraph. If the lounge is located in international terminal within India, it is considered international lounge
1712905858173-png.49547
I encountered a similar incident

So, the problem/issue started with

30/06/2022: I raised a request at PNO Desk to convert my Axis MYZONE credit card XXXX XXXX Lifetime Free.

05/07/2022: I received their response from them –

“We acknowledge the receipt of your mail dated 30-06-2022 addressed to the Principal Nodal Office regarding the concern that you want to convert the Credit Card number XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX into life time free. We regret to inform you that we would not be able to convert the chargeable card into a lifetime free card as currently Axis Bank is not providing such offers.”

11/07/2022: After my repayment and all dues were cleared the card was permanently closed. I was told it was as per PNO’s direction that the card was closed.

13/07/2022: After all this then I tried escalating issues at all levels but nothing worked out and I was told that once the card is closed it cannot be activated again.

16/11/2022: I was given 2500 edge rewards as compensation towards credit card.

24/11/2022: I redeemed 2500 edge reward points.

05/12/2022: I received 3000 edge rewards from my Axis debit card for activation benefit.

06/12/2022: I redeemed 3000 edge reward points.

08/12/2022: I was charged redemption charges ₹115.64 for my redemptions on 24/11/2022 & 06/12/2022 which were to be levied on my bank account/debit card as those were active at that time and my credit card was closed as on that date but it was levied on my credit card somehow that I was not aware of and then this issue started.

12/07/2023: I started receiving SMS to make dues payment. Initially I thought it was some kind of scam/phishing link but then when I saw my card in the Axis Mobile app I realised that there were dues imposed.

07/09/2023: I raised a complaint stating if my card was permanently closed after dues payment then why are some dues still being reflected yet then I was said these are Edge Rewards Redemption charges that are levied and the card is set as temporarily blocked for now.

21/10/2023: So, I raised another complaint when I checked my CIBIL report and found a late due report by Axis Bank.

20/12/2023: I've raised a complaint with the RBI Ombudsman also after no reply on multiple follow ups and escalations with MD Desk too whereas this complaint was raised before 02/11/2023.

I got a refund from them for the charges but that wasn't what I was expecting from them. I wanted my CIBIL to be corrected that happened on 15/01/2024 and it was reported to CIBIL in Aug'23 so can't expect proper functioning from Axis.

Edit: The card was reactivated in September and later on applied for paid Neo as well and got both converted to LTF on call. Yesterday Neo Rupay was delivered as well LTF.

Last edited:

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I encountered a similar incident

So, the problem/issue started with

30/06/2022: I raised a request at PNO Desk to convert my Axis MYZONE credit card XXXX XXXX Lifetime Free.

05/07/2022: I received their response from them –

“We acknowledge the receipt of your mail dated 30-06-2022 addressed to the Principal Nodal Office regarding the concern that you want to convert the Credit Card number XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX into life time free. We regret to inform you that we would not be able to convert the chargeable card into a lifetime free card as currently Axis Bank is not providing such offers.”

11/07/2022: After my repayment and all dues were cleared the card was permanently closed. I was told it was as per PNO’s direction that the card was closed.

13/07/2022: After all this then I tried escalating issues at all levels but nothing worked out and I was told that once the card is closed it cannot be activated again.

16/11/2022: I was given 2500 edge rewards as compensation towards credit card.

24/11/2022: I redeemed 2500 edge reward points.

05/12/2022: I received 3000 edge rewards from my Axis debit card for activation benefit.

06/12/2022: I redeemed 3000 edge reward points.

08/12/2022: I was charged redemption charges ₹115.64 for my redemptions on 24/11/2022 & 06/12/2022 which were to be levied on my bank account/debit card as those were active at that time and my credit card was closed as on that date but it was levied on my credit card somehow that I was not aware of and then this issue started.

12/07/2023: I started receiving SMS to make dues payment. Initially I thought it was some kind of scam/phishing link but then when I saw my card in the Axis Mobile app I realised that there were dues imposed.

07/09/2023: I raised a complaint stating if my card was permanently closed after dues payment then why are some dues still being reflected yet then I was said these are Edge Rewards Redemption charges that are levied and the card is set as temporarily blocked for now.

21/10/2023: So, I raised another complaint when I checked my CIBIL report and found a late due report by Axis Bank.

20/12/2023: I've raised a complaint with the RBI Ombudsman also after no reply on multiple follow ups and escalations with MD Desk too whereas this complaint was raised before 02/11/2023.

I got a refund from them for the charges but that wasn't what I was expecting from them. I wanted my CIBIL to be corrected that happened on 15/01/2024 and it was reported to CIBIL in Aug'23 so can't expect proper functioning from Axis.
@SSV Your insights on above incident