• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Canara Bank Online Bank Account Opening Experience(for Rupay Select Debit Card)

I have recently opened a Canara Bank Savings Account Online to get my first Rupay Select Debit Card. The following is my experience of the process of doing that.

I first went to open the account offline as instructed in other threads in the forum. I visited two branches nearby to check if they would open through tab or not but both gave me an account opening form and informed me of the documents required and asked me to fill those and submit. I came back home and thought of trying the online method.

I needed to give PAN, Aadhar and few usual details in the online form and proceeded do the VKYC. Important to mention, since I wanted the Rupay Select Debit Card, I chose "Rupay Select International" in the debit card dropdown. Since it was Saturday afternoon(6th July) around 4 P.M. , I wasn't able to get an agent for VKYC instantly. Tried after half an hour, was able to connect to an agent and start the VKYC process.

It was the longest VKYC process I have ever done, took around 20-25 mins in total. I had to confirm my details, they took my photo, PAN both sides photo and also curiously Aadhar both sides photo, even though they had already done eKYC with Aadhar during form fill-up. I also had to sign on a blank sheet of paper while being recorded as usual. The agent mentioned at the end that after he submits, if the VKYC is approved, I would get the account number within 24 hours, otherwise I need to go to the Branch to open my account. He also warned me to stay on the call and said the call would be disconnected by itself and not to close the call as that would lead to VKYC failure.

After he submitted, the call connected by itself and a screen came showing that my VKYC was approved. As mentioned, I was expecting the account number to come within 24 hours, but surprisingly it came within 5 mins, exactly at 5 PM. I was able to log into Canara Ai1 app using my Aadhar card details after that. I also transferred money using IMPS to verify whether it was active and it was. I was pleasantly surprised by the speed of account opening in a PSU Bank like Canara.

Now the back to reality moment. I still needed the passbook, and you can only get the passbook from branch. So I visited the branch on Monday to ask for the passbook. A lady at the bank gave me a duplicate passbook form and asked me to fill that up and come next week to collect the passbook as the person responsible was on leave and wouldn't be back till next week. Thus, I still don't have my passbook.

On Wednesday(10th July), I got an SMS that my debit card has been processed and it would be dispatched to my address. It was delivered to my home the next day(11th July) through Speed Post around 11 AM. So it took me just 3 working days to get my debit card, which is pretty fast and I would say at par with private banks in my experience. The card was dispatched from a Bangalore address, and I also live in the same city, so that was a contributor to the speed, but still did not except such a fast dispatch expecially when my SBI card took me 10 days.

I received a Canara Bank Card purse which I believe comes with just Rupay Select Cards along with my cheque book(10 leaves). I was able to sign into Rupay portal with my new Select Debit Card and saw the usual benefits(OTT, Spa, Cab, Health Checkup, Gym and Golf). The card also seems to be a NCMC card, and it should technically work in metros enabled with NCMC like Namma Metro. I would try it whenever I next use the metro.

Overall, a great account opening experience, especially considering its a PSU Bank. I feel if even more services are brought online in PSU banks, it would be much appreciated. My branch is an urban branch, so my MAB is supposed to be Rs. 1000. I have not been charged the debit card fees of Rs 1180 yet, not sure when I will be charged.

TL;DR
Account Opening Timeline
6th July: Form Fill-up & VKYC
10th July: Card Dispatch Message
11th July: Rupay Select Debit in my hands

Attachments

• VKYC Success.webp
    VKYC Success.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 64
I have recently opened a Canara Bank Savings Account Online to get my first Rupay Select Debit Card. The following is my experience of the process of doing that.

I first went to open the account offline as instructed in other threads in the forum. I visited two branches nearby to check if they would open through tab or not but both gave me an account opening form and informed me of the documents required and asked me to fill those and submit. I came back home and thought of trying the online method.

I needed to give PAN, Aadhar and few usual details in the online form and proceeded do the VKYC. Important to mention, since I wanted the Rupay Select Debit Card, I chose "Rupay Select International" in the debit card dropdown. Since it was Saturday afternoon(6th July) around 4 P.M. , I wasn't able to get an agent for VKYC instantly. Tried after half an hour, was able to connect to an agent and start the VKYC process.

It was the longest VKYC process I have ever done, took around 20-25 mins in total. I had to confirm my details, they took my photo, PAN both sides photo and also curiously Aadhar both sides photo, even though they had already done eKYC with Aadhar during form fill-up. I also had to sign on a blank sheet of paper while being recorded as usual. The agent mentioned at the end that after he submits, if the VKYC is approved, I would get the account number within 24 hours, otherwise I need to go to the Branch to open my account. He also warned me to stay on the call and said the call would be disconnected by itself and not to close the call as that would lead to VKYC failure.

After he submitted, the call connected by itself and a screen came showing that my VKYC was approved. As mentioned, I was expecting the account number to come within 24 hours, but surprisingly it came within 5 mins, exactly at 5 PM. I was able to log into Canara Ai1 app using my Aadhar card details after that. I also transferred money using IMPS to verify whether it was active and it was. I was pleasantly surprised by the speed of account opening in a PSU Bank like Canara.

Now the back to reality moment. I still needed the passbook, and you can only get the passbook from branch. So I visited the branch on Monday to ask for the passbook. A lady at the bank gave me a duplicate passbook form and asked me to fill that up and come next week to collect the passbook as the person responsible was on leave and wouldn't be back till next week. Thus, I still don't have my passbook.

On Wednesday(10th July), I got an SMS that my debit card has been processed and it would be dispatched to my address. It was delivered to my home the next day(11th July) through Speed Post around 11 AM. So it took me just 3 working days to get my debit card, which is pretty fast and I would say at par with private banks in my experience. The card was dispatched from a Bangalore address, and I also live in the same city, so that was a contributor to the speed, but still did not except such a fast dispatch expecially when my SBI card took me 10 days.

I received a Canara Bank Card purse which I believe comes with just Rupay Select Cards along with my cheque book(10 leaves). I was able to sign into Rupay portal with my new Select Debit Card and saw the usual benefits(OTT, Spa, Cab, Health Checkup, Gym and Golf). The card also seems to be a NCMC card, and it should technically work in metros enabled with NCMC like Namma Metro. I would try it whenever I next use the metro.

Overall, a great account opening experience, especially considering its a PSU Bank. I feel if even more services are brought online in PSU banks, it would be much appreciated. My branch is an urban branch, so my MAB is supposed to be Rs. 1000. I have not been charged the debit card fees of Rs 1180 yet, not sure when I will be charged.

TL;DR
Account Opening Timeline
Thanks for sharing

TL;DR
Account Opening Timeline
Hi sir, how can ac be open if old residence address is on aadhar but have new address on voter card. Tried with two banks both asking to get address updated first . One private bank was ready to open but MAB is too much (for me)

Hi sir, how can ac be open if old residence address is on aadhar but have new address on voter card. Tried with two banks both asking to get address updated first . One private bank was ready to open but MAB is too much (for me)
Voter Id is technically a valid Proof of Address, so not sure what is the issue here. But yea, it won't work for Online Account opening, since the whole flow is based on Aadhar number. You should be able to open an offline account.

TL;DR
Account Opening Timeline
Your post is very informative.
I can image the impact you had after 25 mins of video KYC:) 🤣🤣
You took the same time to write your experience as they took to verify your details.
Thanks 🙏 👍

I tried opening account online after reading your post few days ago, did try for onlineKYC, didn't get agent,
Next day I did amex cc kyc, it was a breeze, in less than 3 mins it was done, now I again tried for canara eKYC, that yellow ! mark was very annoying, had to refresh and re login multiple times, then after keeping the phone aside for 3-4 mins the yellow sign changed to green, after 10-15 sec of the green sign I got to see agent/call center guy,
Now the impotant part - he asked me if I am currently in my permanent address or not, as I was 20kms away, he told me that I have to be at permanent address while doing eKYC and ended the call😶
Today I came back to my permanent address and tried but this time I have to refill half of form including aadhar OTP and all, after that I had yellow ❗mark and I have to again reload the page multiple times, after -4-5 mins I got green sign and immediately got agent, but the process was cumbersome (as expected) , they have to type in each detail as per adhar and pan again , and photo has to be taken in onscreen square only, idk why such criteria as clearly there is no OCR or anything at their disposal, anyways taking adhar and pan photo, and then recording myself with my face and hand in same frame while doing signature twice was tricky part. That's all the kyc was done - it took 8-9 mins for actual video kyc, within 5 mins my account was active.

Tl;Dr-You have to be present at your permanent address while video KYC and it is easy, but getting an agent to do it - is the difficult part.

My friend completed video kyc after multiple rejections (due to permanent permanent address issue ) completed vkyc around 10 days ago but account was not opened. So finally visited branch and opened it in offline mode.

Back